hi, i currently own a marshall mg50 dfx and a boss mt-2 metal zone pedal. i think they sound good together (i use a fender stratocaster but hopefully will be getting a dean razorback). what im wondering is should i sell both on ebay (i would probably get around £140 for both) and buy a metal amp? the problem is i dont really know much about amps, but i know that marshalls are great amps, but not the best for playing metal. any thoughts?
Marshalls a re great for metal as long as theyre tube

with teh right amount of OverDr8ive, you can get any metal sound
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
MG's are pretty terrible amps. You could sell them on e-bay and get another amp, but TBH you're not getting much good at that range. Any way you could save up a little more?
ok this sounds completely n00by, as i said i dont know a lot about amps, but what exactly is a tube amp? and is a marshal mg50dfx a tube amp?
Quote by bartdevil_metal
MG's are pretty terrible amps. You could sell them on e-bay and get another amp, but TBH you're not getting much good at that range. Any way you could save up a little more?

yeah i have a bit more money, but i would buy the new amp (whatever it happens to be) from ebay anyway
a mgdfx is a tranny amp...
transistor amp that is...

its not terrible really, i have the 2x12 version, and mine sounds great with a gibson sg....
plus dont sell the fender strat.. they are better than dean guitars..
Quote by flobbie12345
ok this sounds completely n00by, as i said i dont know a lot about amps, but what exactly is a tube amp? and is a marshal mg50dfx a tube amp?

an MG is not a tube amp..

A tube amp uses vacuum tubes to replicate sound frequencies, whereas your amp uses solid-state transistors to do the job. Solid-state amps can be more reliable and require less maintenece, but valve amps sound MUCH more real....
sell SeLL SELLL!!!

A tube amp is any amp that operates through the use of vaccum tubes that are attached inside the back of the amp.

Tube amps arguably sound a lot better than solid state (non-tube) amps.

The Marshall MG is NOT a tube amp. It's not even a decent solid state. It's a piece of junk with "Marshall" written on it to lure in unsuspecting people who don't know anything about amps.

I recommend you sell your MT2 and Marshall and save for a B-52 AT112 or 212, that's my plan.

EDIT: Hawk gave a way better discription of a tube amp than I did^^^
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Last edited by dudetheman at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by uvq
a mgdfx is a tranny amp...
transistor amp that is...

its not terrible really, i have the 2x12 version, and mine sounds great with a gibson sg....
plus dont sell the fender strat.. they are better than dean guitars..

nah im not going to sell the strat. its a great guitar and i love it, but its just not as good as some other guitars for what i use it for
Quote by flobbie12345
nah im not going to sell the strat. its a great guitar and i love it, but its just not as good as some other guitars for what i use it for

perhaps some new humbucking pickups are a possibility...But an amp upgrade will serve your purposes better than a new guitar or new pickups.
Well, for a decent cheap tube, you're looking at:

>(I hate to keep recommending this just 'cos I have it) Peavey VK112
>Marshall DSL401
>Randall RG50TC

Or if you can afford:

>Marshall JCM800
>Peavey 5150
>Mesa F50 (If in US)

If you're too rich for your own good:

>Mesa Mark IV
>Framus Cobra
>Soldano SLO

Also, a new one that's just come out is the Bugera 6262, but it's so new that we don't know how reliable it is, and I have never personally tried one.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Well, for a decent cheap tube, you're looking at:

>(I hate to keep recommending this just 'cos I have it) Peavey VK112
>Marshall DSL401
>Randall RG50TC

Or if you can afford:

>Marshall JCM800
>Peavey 5150
>Mesa F50 (If in US)

If you're too rich for your own good:

>Mesa Mark IV
>Framus Cobra
>Soldano SLO

Also, a new one that's just come out is the Bugera 6262, but it's so new that we don't know how reliable it is, and I have never personally tried one.

You left out the B-52's, I've heard great things about them.

EDIT: they may not be available in Europe....are they?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
im checking for the B-52 AT-212, and it appears to no longer be available on like 10 different websites...?
Quote by dudetheman
You left out the B-52's, I've heard great things about them.

EDIT: they may not be available in Europe....are they?

My bad, forgot about them. Yes they are available here as far as I know.

Edit: Well maybe not, I can't find anything on Thomann..
i have bugera and i LOVE it, got it last week but it seems to be holding up real well, i keepit on stand by for long periods of time and it just keeps rockin.
"A Sh0t To The EaR"
Amps-Laney GH100L @50watts
Bugera 6262 @120watts
Laney GS212PE w/ V30s
Behringer 412H
Guitars-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85 T-O-M
Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition EMG ZW set
Pedals-MXR WyldeWah>MXR WyldeOD>MXR Chorus
Quote by LaneyMan
i have bugera and i LOVE it, got it last week but it seems to be holding up real well, i keepit on stand by for long periods of time and it just keeps rockin.

And yet you are called LaneyMan...lol. The Laney Cult will excommunicate you .

It sounds like a good amp, but I bet the prices will go up once it's proved itself.
ok cheers for your advice all, ive searched all of the ones that have been suggested, and im thinking either of these are my best bet:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-AT-100-AT-412-100W-Tube-Guitar-Half-Stack-481188-i1320777.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-ST-6012-60W-Tube-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Vintage-30-s-481308-i1145582.gc

i live in england by the way, so what i might do is be going to america (and be able to go to Guitar Center) in a couple of weeks, i should be able to try out both and if they are what im looking for, i will £££! (or rather, $$$!)

but, should i buy the smaller 60W one or save longer and get the 100W? i really dont want to spend any more money than $1000 really, as i do not currently have a job but will be getting part time soon. am 16 also.
also another thought, if i buy the amp in america, wont it be american voltage? or is there some way i can change it, as the voltage is different here.
You should at least listen to sound samples of that b-52 before you buy it. Look on youtube for some. I didn't like the tone it got. But to each his own.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.