First topic ever in the pit.. hmm...

So a few weeks ago I listed my Peavey JSX 4x12 on Craigslist for $450 and didn't get a reply for a few days. The only reply I did end up getting was somebody not local saying they'd pay me $550 to keep other buyers away. Naturally I agreed but said they'd have to pay shipping. The guy said he'd include money to cover the shipping cost. He emailed me a bit later saying that he'd include $2,000 to cover all charges and that I could just send the rest back later.

I wait a week or so after we exchange information, and just this morning I get this in the mail:

I blocked out the check #'s and the addresses.

I woke up around 12 today and I just saw $2,550 and I was like O_O! I really didn't think he would send anything, but sure **** here it is. I'm gonna take it to a bank this afternoon to make sure its not counterfeit, and I'm gonna make sure it clears before I do anything.

Anyone else ever get in a situation like this? I was seriously surprised the guy even sent anything, I doubted it after I saw the $2,000 thing in the email. All I know is that if I don't get a shipping address soon, I'm ordering myself a Mako Dorado lol.
HA! But you left the city where u live in....Im coming to get u now.....

but not rly, and nice
We fear violence less than our own feelings. Personal, private, solitary pain is more terrifying than what anyone else can inflict.
Jim Morrison
Nice! Haha thats monster, put up your amp for 450 bucks, get 2550. Not bad.
GO YANKEES!
Yeah, make sure it clears first, then you can write him a check back for whatever is left after shipping.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
so are u keeping all the money?

right?
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
Quote by rwalby9
He emailed me a bit later saying that he'd include $2,000 to cover all charges and that I could just send the rest back later.

I believe he said that he wants you to send the rest of the money back later :\
I thought this was gonna be about the tweakers who tried to sell their baby to buy more ice.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Verify and cash the check, and maybe explain the situation to the bank...I'm sure they could tell you how this scam works (I think it is a scam...)

If everything checks out though, do the honest thing and send the left over money back.
WTLTL 2011
so...
you ripped him off?

lucky bastard.
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
*cheque
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I have no clue. I'm gonna take it to the bank later today and make sure its a legit check before I even consider shipping it off.

I'm not gonna rip the guy off, but packing charges might be a little steep
dude,
It's probably a serious pro who needs that specific piece of gear.
The check looks pretty legit.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
*cheque

Oh you must be on the wrong side of the world, it's check here in America.
Quote by Remonster

+1. "Cheque" looks French, and French people are as gay as Jeffree Star.
I'm pretty sure this is a scam.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
I don't see what the scam would be. If you can't cash the check, don't send him the amp; if you can, just send it and write him a check for the rest of the money.
Quote by OrangePossum
+1. "Cheque" looks French, and French people are as gay as Jeffree Star.

"cheque" is the word for check in spanish, not french.

Se habla español

Quote by pinheadslts75
People come up with the dumbest names for sexual acts. And the most disgusting concepts for sexual acts.

I'm tempted to report this thread because of how weird this is getting.

I saw x/taluha get her clock
Quote by millencolin182
"cheque" is the word for check in spanish, not french.

I said looks, not is.
but k. i should know 'cause i take spanish, but i don't think we ever covered anything about currency besides peso and dinero.
Quote by Remonster

And up here in Canada we say cheque.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
It's a scam, don't even bother. Honestly, this happens to a lot of people. Check all the writing. I've seen some that say Bank of Arkansas or something to that extent, yet the letter was shipped from South Africa. Everything contradicts itself. Where did you get the letter from?

I think you should repost it, and tear that check up. It isn't worth a penny.

I can tell already! Look at the top, it says Wells Fargo Bank, NA. And underneath it says San Francisco CA. How is there a Nebraskan bank in California?
Last edited by Mecler at Mar 27, 2008,
Quote by HaKattack

"Post-breastfeeding tits? Don’t you try to hide your tits away! You move straight to the front row! You are the Life-Giver! You create the future. You are a walking miracle! You are beyond beautiful! I need to see your life-giving happy tits. We should all be on our knees respecting your miraculous-mommy happy tits, rubbing them with perfumed oil. (I would volunteer for that; let me know.) "

"Tits are everywhere! So good and happy and bouncy and fun! And there are tits in space now! Outerspace tits! But does NASA share? No, no they don’t, the uptight, small-minded bastards. Do they ever show pictures of happy tits in zero-g? No, they don't. Bastards. It would be so easy, and the world would be such a better place."

"And you’re not going to listen to the sour-faced, self-appointed “feminists” who want to spread their toxic life-hatred (‘Our women are being manipulated and objectified as mere sex-objects . .” Piss off, bitch! Keep your twisted, frigid analysis to yourself.) **** ‘em! **** the bitter haters! They’re your tits! Your body! Your power! Tit power!"

That was so moving!
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
From wikipedia
Quote by Wikipedia
Related to check cashing scams, the scammer will contact the seller of a listed item or service on eBay, Craigslist or other classified ad site, and offer to buy the item or hire the lister's services. The scam then plays one of two ways.

In an overpayment scam, the scammer will send a check or money order that is far larger than the agreed-upon price of the item, telling the seller to deduct any packing or shipping costs incurred, then refund him the remainder (which could be several hundred or even thousand dollars more) using a wire transfer service. This wire transfer is an advance fee similar to check cashing scams; the payment note is a forgery, and once discovered the mark has lost both the item and the amount of the overpayment.

The second method is a cancellation; after the mark receives and deposits the fraudulent check, the scammer cancels the transaction and demands their money back immediately, often by inventing some sort of personal catastrophe to gain the mark's sympathy. The scammer may also threaten to leave negative feedback about the mark on sites like eBay. The mark then refunds the entire balance of the check by wire transfer, and as before is eventually made to repay the amount of the fake check to the bank.

The overpayment scam has evolved considerably over time. Originally the scammer contacted sellers of items valuable to the scammer, such as items that can be resold on the black market (such as jewelry), would personally benefit the scammer (such as consumer electronics like HDTVs and stereo equipment), or could be used in further scams (such as laptops, portable storage devices, printers, cameras and scanners). However, the intent of scammers has largely changed from acquiring the item to getting the money. This may have been influenced by the growing awareness of this scam in online communities, resulting in sellers refusing to ship an item internationally. Currently, if the advertisement is an item for sale, the scam is usually run using a "drop"; the item is sent to a third party in the scam, who is often a scam victim themselves being manipulated into receiving packages for the scammer. This third party may forward a package (at their own expense) that is of high value to the scammer, or could be instructed to sell the item to a pawn shop or through a classified ad and forward the money, but most often they are told simply to hold the packages indefinitely.
Buy a ****in' sweet guitar...then it'll be SHRED TIME! ...make sure you have name brand soda though

LEDHEADIT:...errr...nevermind, its a scam
Last edited by Ledhead82048 at Mar 27, 2008,
It's a scam. The exact same thing happened to my friend. He was smart enough not to believe it and canceled the deal.
It's a scam.
Think about it, he says he will pay $2,550 right?
He can buy a new Peavey JSX for this amount of cash.
Honestly yes I actually was in a similar situation. My mom had a dining room set she wanted to sell so I put an ad up on craigslist and had this guy constantly emailing me saying to take the ad off and he wanted to offer a lot more then the asking price. He said he has some business and he was going to take care of shipping expenses. He wanted to ship it to the U.K. because he had a client interested in the dining room set. If you look at craigslist FAQ page they warn you about those types of emails. So do not communicate with who ever sent you that check.
dont feel bad when the bank laughs you out the door when trying to cash that...actually i'd be careful with that, they might think you were trying to pull one over on them (the bank) and you might be in for a lot of trouble...
Quote by rwalby9
He emailed me a bit later saying that he'd include $2,000 to cover all charges and that I could just send the rest back later.
What possible reason would anyone have to send so much more than the shipping costs could be?

Scam. Simple as.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
You might as well accept millions of dollars from a Nigerian now.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Wow. If that's legit, that dude is brilliantly trusting.

If you **** him and he's innocent, you're going to hell.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...