I'm looking at buying a multitrack for home recordings but can't decide which one. I'm pretty much skint, so I'm only likely to spend about £200 quid. I'll be recording some quite heavy stuff similar to Cannibal Corpse and The Berzerker - the two I've been looking at are
Zoom MRS 8
Boss BR-600
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
RULE BRITANNIA
How many things are yoy planning to record? Just guitars/bass? Or are you going to be micing a whole drumkit?
Just a few guitars, bass and vocals. I can't play drums to save myself so I'll use the built in drums for now.
RULE BRITANNIA
If you aren't planning on expanding and upgrading your recording setup then I guess I can recommend the BR-600. Roland (Boss) is a much more reputable company than Zoom.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Oh sorry, I thought you wanted a mixer (I read it too fast )

I don't have a clue about multitracks since I use cubase.
I'm crap with technology, and i have the BR-600.

It does the job pretty well, i think. The inbuilt tones are pretty crap, but if you have a decent tone already, its a good piece of kit.

Don't know anything about the Zoom though
Do or do not, there is no try. - Albus Dumbledore
Aye, I was using Audacity but had problems with layering so I switched to Krystal and it was fine, but the problem now is that my computer has no sound for some reason.
A friend of mine recently got the MRS-8 and it produced some good quality recordings - but that was all acoustic and I'm thinking it may suffer a bit with lots of distortion.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by maggot9779
Oh sorry, I thought you wanted a mixer (I read it too fast )

I don't have a clue about multitracks since I use cubase.

... Yet you have a clue about mixers? Computer recording doesn't call for a mixer. In fact, a mixer impedes your ability to edit your tracks, rendering your computer nothing more than a digital multi-track recorder with a start menu.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I have the Br-600 use it record everything, including my band, its very good quality all you have to have is audacity, to compress it mp3, its fantastic
Quote by Muphin
... Yet you have a clue about mixers? Computer recording doesn't call for a mixer. In fact, a mixer impedes your ability to edit your tracks, rendering your computer nothing more than a digital multi-track recorder with a start menu.

I know more about mixers than I do about multitracks. Thats what I was getting at
Aye I've still got Audacity to convert it I just can't record via my computer anymore.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Muphin

A mixer might not be necessary, especially in the home studio, but I don't see how it impedes it.
There is poetry in despair.
Definately the Boss? I was thinking that, it seems sturdier as well, the Zoom is only about 2 centimetres thick.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by fridge_raider
A mixer might not be necessary, especially in the home studio, but I don't see how it impedes it.

The computer does the mixing and editing. Passing multiple signals through a mixer then recording the mix on your machine destroys the ease of editing that computer recording is famous for.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by cobain_is_king
I'm looking at buying a multitrack for home recordings but can't decide which one. I'm pretty much skint, so I'm only likely to spend about £200 quid. I'll be recording some quite heavy stuff similar to Cannibal Corpse and The Berzerker - the two I've been looking at are
Zoom MRS 8
Boss BR-600
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=33&sid=7c278830f5e24292e802eddfed39121f

I prefer sticking with a DAW PC and interface for audio recording and processing since its easy to work with and expand but if I had to go with a MTR I would go with a higher end unit and get it used on ebay...
Last edited by moody07747 at Mar 27, 2008,