the majority of guitarists start with the pentatonic major and minors. . i would suggest that first. . . itll keep u going for a while at least :-)
Start with the C Major scale, then once you know that up and down the fret, go by the circle of fifths and learn all the major scales
Matt: it wouldnt really be a gainer since ur just going straight up
Me: i'm going over the spine
Matt: yea i know spine transfer
Me: frontflips > backflips
Matt: or in ur case it could be called broken spine transfer if you fall hard
you wont be able to understand the fundamentals of the pentatonic such as it's intervals and stuff without first understanding the major and minor scales.
All scales are derived from the Major scale, if you start with the pentatonics scale you'll be hurting yourself in the long run.
Start with Major dude
Altough most of the guitarists (including me) start of with the minor pentatonic, I think it's wiser to start with C major scale because this is the basic of all western music and the minor pentatonic give you less of insight about how scales work.
Then learn the A minor scale (and note that this is pretty much the same as the C major scale).
Then learn a thing called the cycle of fifths. This way you'll learn all major scales up and down the neck , how to notate them and when to use wich scale.
After that learn the different modes. This way you'll learn all the kinds of major scales (like mixolydic) and minor scales (like phrygian) and what notes you should play on wich chord.
Then it's time to learn the pentatonic.

This takes some time but it's worth it

On second thought: it might be more fun to learn the minor pentatonic first. It doesn't give you much insight about how scales work but this way you already have a scale to practise solo's with.
I sold my soul for Rock 'n' Roll

Quote by CSguitarvocal
you've just proven that you're the most ignorant fuck on this website...

Thank you
Quote by darknessfan
Whenever I sit down to play guitar, I always need to pee in like 3 minutes. Is this weird?

Owned