I'm looking for a distortion pedal to play heavier stuff like thrash metal, power metal, and melodic death metal (think megadeth, children of bodom, testament, symphony x, helloween, arch enemy, metallica)

I'm specifically looking for a pedal with tight bass responce, pretty high gain, not overly digital sounding, and possibly true bypass (but that's not required, just it would be nice)

I play a modded rg370 through a classic 30 (i know not the best amp for metal, but i don't primaliy play metal)

I was looking at getting a Boss MT-2 moded by bodenhammer , anyone have any experience with them

Edit: I don't like the metal muff, to fuzzy for me, i'm looking for something clearer
Last edited by Dance_of_Death at Mar 26, 2008,
I prefer the Metal Muff, though the bass might be a little looser than you want. It's not true bypass but the buffer is very well designed, and the treble boost comes in handy in a band situation.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Id take a landmine over a metal muff any day.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Line 6 Uber Metal? Line 6's pedals are pretty nice. Much better than most of their amps methinks -_-
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Metal muff is way too fuzzy.

No true bypass.

nah not for him
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by thankyougermany
Line 6 Uber Metal? Line 6's pedals are pretty nice. Much better than most of their amps methinks -_-

most <.<

only spiders suck ( good for pratice tough).
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by Dance_of_Death
I tried the metal muff, not clear enough for me, it was really fuzzy and i could not get harmonics to come out well

what is the landmine?

Mine is very clear sounding, you have to mess around with the EQ a good bit. Although it could also be because I use ceramic pickups, which are very tight and clear anyway.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Damage control?
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by Dance_of_Death
what is the landmine?

Analog distortion pedal(real diodes not digital), incredible for harmonics but sometimes it can be hard to find.
Ebay is your best chance>>Landmine
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Quote by redneck516
Analog distortion pedal(real diodes not digital), incredible for harmonics but sometimes it can be hard to find.

that's like the exact price i want, will this really be able to handle what i want it to do?
Quote by redneck516

Almost every distortion pedal except Digitech's X-Series and maybe some Line 6 ones are 'tr00 analog'. It's easier/cheaper/simpler to build an analog distortion box.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Dance_of_Death
that's like the exact price i want, will this really be able to handle what i want it to do?

With your amp I doubt youd be able to get arch enemy or bodom, but its really an incredible pedal. youtube not the greatest video demonstration but itll give you a good idea.
Quote by kyrreca

Quote by Geetar_Axel
yeah, i can't get the pedal now cause parents think i have bought to much gear, even though i sold half of my old gear and bought a new set of pickups and a pedal

so i have to wait a few months, does anyone have any experience with the metal zone with or without the mod by bodenhammer?
i played a metalzone at GC

i prefer the metal muff

but it sounds tweakable to get what u want

the treble is hearing damaging tho hah
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Yeah the Metal Zone isn't very good. The highs are very shrill and altogether unpleaseant. You can tweak it a lot, but it still never sounds that good.
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Quote by Blackballed
Yeah the Metal Zone isn't very good. The highs are very shrill and altogether unpleaseant. You can tweak it a lot, but it still never sounds that good.

yeah i played it today and noticed that, but the site claims to have mods that get rid of the shrill highs, was there anything else you didn't like about it, i din't get much time to try it