I'm sure all of you have been at a fancy restaurant with your parents and gotten bored, so you licked your finger and started rubbing the rim of a full glass. It creates a beautiful sound if done properly and I want to use it in a song. Is the any way to mathematically relate the water level with the pitch? I'd prefer not to just screw around until I find an A, an F#, E...
dunno, maybe try googling it?

i just remember working at a sandwich shop last summer, one of the cooks set up a bunch of them and had them all set all 12 tones....was pretty funny to watch him play songs on wine glasses
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I'm sure all of you have been at a fancy restaurant with your parents and gotten bored, so you licked your finger and started rubbing the rim of a full glass. It creates a beautiful sound if done properly and I want to use it in a song. Is the any way to mathematically relate the water level with the pitch? I'd prefer not to just screw around until I find an A, an F#, E...

Based on my rudimentary physics knowledge and thoughts off the top of my head, I would bet it has to do with the specific shape and surface area of the glass versus the volume of water. You can then figure what frequency the pitch is going to be and relate that to a named note . . . but that sounds way hard
Gear
2002 Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT150h + JCM900
Buncha pedals
1 glass, a jug of water, a guitar tuner and a graduated cylinder.

pour water into the empty glass until the tune shows the note you want, then empty the glass into the graduated cylinder and measure the amount of water it takes to achieve the note in question. take note though of different glass shapes!! this may need to be done several times with different style glasses!
I watched an MTV Live show of Korn performing. People tell me they're no good but all metal (Nu Metal, wtf?) sounds awful to me. My TV was really out of tune, so I couldn't see it well, but they had a machine that created the wine glass sound you're talking about. It wasn't just a table of wine glasses though, it was some sort of spinning cylinder.

Pretty cool though.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
I watched an MTV Live show of Korn performing. People tell me they're no good but all metal (Nu Metal, wtf?) sounds awful to me. My TV was really out of tune, so I couldn't see it well, but they had a machine that created the wine glass sound you're talking about. It wasn't just a table of wine glasses though, it was some sort of spinning cylinder.

Pretty cool though.

here's a pic!!

http://bp1.blogger.com/_ebGqcJ7qdjk/Rvb265HCUTI/AAAAAAAAAZU/FMRx15w0W-4/s1600-h/metoh06.jpg
I remember seeing David Gilmour use wine glasses in a dvd i have of his live performances. It goes a little in depth about how he does it, and i remember the glasses being different heights and certain widths. It really does sound nice when put into a song correctly. Good luck with acheiving your goal.
Schecter Blackjack
Mesa F-30
Line 6 Verbzilla
Bad Monkey
FAB Chorus
Quote by bangoodcharlote
My friend posted while I was in the bathroom.

Excuses. Humble yourself.