Okay so I decided today I need to get in shape because I'm horribly out of shape (running a block or two will kill me) and I'm tired of having a horrible body. So I though yoga, it's supposed to get you in shape and balance the mind and spirit so it sounds good. But before I start I wanted to know what you guys (and girls... cooties!) think of yoga. Does it work? Is it fun? Also if you could recommend a beginner's DVD and what else I need (mat, ball, etc.). I'd rather do this in the comfort of my home than a gym with strangers I don't know. AND GO!
just look for those programs on tv where they show you how to do it...its free that way. plus there are a bunch of different types of yoga, so you should research that, and figure out which one you want to pursue.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
tantric yoga ftw
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Lawl. And Eggmond, your sig by guitar_nate is a total rip off a Flight of the Conchords song lol.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
Quote by SilentDeftone
By doing it at home you are denying yourself the pleasure of watching this:

If you can, do it in very humid conditions.

-SD

Now I wish I had money for classes so I could see that =]. Is there a website that gives a basic idea of the different kinds of yoga?
Quote by rickyy
I actually started doing yoga (by myself) a while ago. Guess what?

It's great. It relieves my anxiety, stress, totally relaxes me, etc.

Here check this link out!
http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/85_yoga-beginners.htm

Cool, thanks . Free yay!
Don't expect yoga to shed pounds and pounds, it will help tone your body; mind; spirit & soul though. I can only advise you to check out if there are any local yoga classes in your area. It would be the best idea.

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

And Eggmond, your sig by guitar_nate is a total rip off a Flight of the Conchords song lol.

iknow
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Ataxia
Don't expect yoga to shed pounds and pounds, it will help tone your body; mind; spirit & soul though. I can only advise you to check out if there are any local yoga classes in your area. It would be the best idea.

Well that's pretty much what I want because I'm actually kind of skinny so I was looking for a way to get toned so it won't look that bad.
Quote by maggot2011
Well that's pretty much what I want because I'm actually kind of skinny so I was looking for a way to get toned so it won't look that bad.

Ehh, do push ups, sit ups, crunches, etc to get toned.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Quote by rickyy
Ehh, do push ups, sit ups, crunches, etc to get toned.

I'm not exactly a work out, push it, tough kind of guy. I like a more relaxed exercise even if it isn't as effective. So long as it works.
IMO the fastest and most effective way to lose weight is just straight cardio. Running, swimming, and biking. When Lacrosse season started you could see the fat melt off the whole team. But yoga is pretty effective I think, if someone calls it wimpy, its a lot harder than it looks holding all the positions for lengths of time we've done some at practice. And it teaches balance and I've heard its very relaxing.
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
Yoga is not just about holding silly positions with silly names for a substantial length of time. It's about finding one's self at the same time as refining balance, agility and muscle strength.

Different strokes for different folks; being the skinny malinky I am and the way I perceive the world, there is no better way to get my exercise than through yoga.

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

Quote by Ataxia
Yoga is not just about holding silly positions with silly names for a substantial length of time. It's about finding one's self at the same time as refining balance, agility and muscle strength.

Different strokes for different folks; being the skinny malinky I am and the way I perceive the world, there is no better way to get my exercise than through yoga.

That end part, we're in the same boat.