Hey guys, I'm on the long road of learning the notes on the fretboard and I was wondering if you guys have any tips for it. I've been using that fretboard note program game thing and I guess it has helped. I will admit that I haven't been able to devote too much time to sitting down and just learning the notes. Most of my time is spent playing. I'm just wondering if there is anything that could help with the memorization process.
Once you memorize the top, you already know the bottom!

I would just say learning them one a time is key, get the top two, maybe three memorized then work on the last 2.
all the notes on the low e are in the same place on the high e. lol
eat it
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
haha yeah i never learned em all either and i've played 7 years. my only tip is just learn to do em from the string names, sure its a little slow but at least you can do em all that way
besides you usually just look up one and play aroud it anyway
yeah it can be very tough...I learned all the notes on the fretboard in the key of C, so just ABCDEFG, and from there I've able to pretty successfully add one to 2 accidentals, although thats where I start to get a little confused...however even just knowing where all the key of C notes are has been invaluable, so I would reccomned doing that. It is definately a kind of difficult task so good luck.
It takes a long time. I haven't got the whole thing memorized, either, but I'm working on it. I've had luck with (and I know this is boring) just writing the whole thing out everywhere, all the time. Draw it in the margins of your math notes, on the back of your homework, whatever. Just write it out, starting with the first fret, and going all the way up, string by string. I find just going through the motions of writing it really helps. Good luck.
It's not hard at all dude

Start with the low E. Pluck it open, then go up one fret at a time calling out the name of each note. *as you're getting higher only say F# G# etc.) until you go to the 12th fret. You can go higher if you want to but it really doesn't matter. Then start from the 12th fret and go pluck the frets going down, still calling out each note, and only saying flats this time. Do this 3 or 4 times. Then while you're listening to music or something to help pass the time, just pluck random notes on the string as fast as you can for like an hour or so. Only go as fast as you can without messing up. Then the next day do the same on the next string, but incorporate the low E string's notes as well.

It's what I did, I got every note down in about a week.
Matt: it wouldnt really be a gainer since ur just going straight up
Me: i'm going over the spine
Matt: yea i know spine transfer
Me: frontflips > backflips
Matt: or in ur case it could be called broken spine transfer if you fall hard
Agh, i haven't memorized the fretborad...it seems like a long and tedious task. But i guess it will come in handy. I saw one site where it had like a donwloadable game show for it lol. Too bad i forget what the site was....
Gear:
Cort AD-850 NS
MIM Strat
Cube 30x
if you want a game, go to google and type in fretboard warrior.
But its easier to just pluck the notes and call out their names. -_-
Matt: it wouldnt really be a gainer since ur just going straight up
Me: i'm going over the spine
Matt: yea i know spine transfer
Me: frontflips > backflips
Matt: or in ur case it could be called broken spine transfer if you fall hard
It's easy...

Quote by me!
There's only 12 notes on the guitar, they just keep repeating...it's only difficult if you don't take the time to break it down.

Here...

1 - learn the open strings...E, A, D, G, B, E
2 - familiarise yourself with the pattern of intervals along the open string, you don't even need to learn it by heart yet, just have it for reference.

3 - realise that the 12 fret is the octave of the open string, and therefore the same note.
4 - realise that the pattern of intervals is constant, so 12 th fret onwards is identical to open string onwards.

... as far as working out notes goes you are currently never more than 6 frets away from a reference note. However, counting along 6 frets is kind of clunky and not particularly easy, but it's a start.

5 - learn the notes that correspond to the next open string, so 5th fret on the E, A, D and B strings, 4th fret on the G

...all of a sudden you're never more than 3 frets way from a known reference note. All of a sudden working out the notes you don't know became a lot easier...almost twice as easy, in fact.

6 - locate the other octaves of the open notes, first the ones on the next string... 7th fret on the A, D, G and high E strings, 8th fret on the B string. Then the octaves two strings away so 2nd fret on the D and G strings, 3rd fret on the B and top E.

7 - in the same way, locate the octaves of the notes you learned in step 5

...all of a sudden you're now never more than 1 fret away from a known reference note!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by rockadoodle
This is a stupid question, but what is a reference note?

just a note that you know, that's all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
the seagull has spoken.

do what he says.

take the time and be patient.

it will come to you....