well i am either get a gibson les paul studio swamps ash (alnico)

or a gibson les paul vintage mahogany(brustbuckers)

and is one better?

i play blues,rock, hard,rocka dn some metal.

any one better for this.
well
i have the 490r and 490t in my gibson sg

great pickups arent they?
Quote by uvq
well
i have the 490r and 490t in my gibson sg

great pickups arent they?

ya they seem to be more versatile
How about neither? There are much better guitars with much better pups (see the Schecter C-1 Classic)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I put burst pro's in my guitar about 6 months ago. They are taken out, as I found that they get pretty muddy. I now have a WCR and a Dimarzio. I do like the 490's better for sure.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
490s for sure....I get great metal tones out of these with the right amp and with the right amp I can get some sweet blues tones and clean tones.
Quote by ^Slash^
I put burst pro's in my guitar about 6 months ago. They are taken out, as I found that they get pretty muddy. I now have a WCR and a Dimarzio. I do like the 490's better for sure.

k thanks that really helped out kinda the answer i needed
Quote by M Power
490s for sure....I get great metal tones out of these with the right amp and with the right amp I can get some sweet blues tones and clean tones.

yes but how about rock i play mostly rock and blues only a little metal and harder rock.
490's are the kind of universal pup.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Neither.

The BurstBucker Pros are so poor they don't deserve to share the same BurstBucker name as the #1/2/3 series BurstBuckers. And the 49x and 50x series are even worse still, though when you're at that level of pointless vapid tone it barely matters.

The only good pickups Gibson make are the BurstBucker 1/2/3, or, if you're stretch, the '57 Classics. That's it. Any others? Don't touch them, ever.

And for the record, both the Studio and Vintage Mahogany are awful guitars. Never tried one of the Swamp Ash Studios so maybe that's made to a better standard, but certainly the regular is awful. Really you shouldn't be bothering with anything less than a Standard, even then I'd say you should really aim for a Classic.

And, more than pickups, the different woods used in each guitar is going to effect your tone more. Buy the one witht he wood you want, not the pickups. You can always change pickups later, you can't change body wood.
I say buy one of em and swap out the pups. I can't knock the cheaper Gibson's. I have one, and its the best guitars I've ever played. I of course had to swap the pups though .
Gibson.
Quote by bokuho
Neither.

The BurstBucker Pros are so poor they don't deserve to share the same BurstBucker name as the #1/2/3 series BurstBuckers. And the 49x and 50x series are even worse still, though when you're at that level of pointless vapid tone it barely matters.

The only good pickups Gibson make are the BurstBucker 1/2/3, or, if you're stretch, the '57 Classics. That's it. Any others? Don't touch them, ever.

And for the record, both the Studio and Vintage Mahogany are awful guitars. Never tried one of the Swamp Ash Studios so maybe that's made to a better standard, but certainly the regular is awful. Really you shouldn't be bothering with anything less than a Standard, even then I'd say you should really aim for a Classic.

And, more than pickups, the different woods used in each guitar is going to effect your tone more. Buy the one witht he wood you want, not the pickups. You can always change pickups later, you can't change body wood.

dude wtf are you talkin about a studio maybe a hit and miss gutiar but if you get a good one they are a very respectable gutiars. i just heard that the vintage was good i havent played one yet. and i can seethat the brustbuckers suck ass, but the 490r and 498ts seem pretty good considering i'ce played a studio and a custom with them in it.
and i ain'tat a level of pointless vapid tone.
Quote by bokuho
Neither.

You DO know the classic has the ceramic buckers, right?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by ThrashIsGreat
I say buy one of em and swap out the pups. I can't knock the cheaper Gibson's. I have one, and its the best guitars I've ever played. I of course had to swap the pups though .

buy one of the vintage ones??

and how much would pups be??
Quote by nath1142
dude wtf are you talkin about a studio maybe a hit and miss gutiar but if you get a good one they are a very respectable gutiars. i just heard that the vintage was good i havent played one yet. and i can seethat the brustbuckers suck ass, but the 490r and 498ts seem pretty good considering i'ce played a studio and a custom with them in it.
and i ain'tat a level of pointless vapid tone.
This is a great example of a post by someone who 1) has never played a guitar worth more than a grand, and 2) doesn't know what real tone is. I'm willing to bet you scoop your mids and/or don't know the difference between distortion and overdrive, right?

I've had several Studio models. I've also had a couple of Vintage Mahoganies, and a Faded. I've got a couple of Standards, a couple of Classic Antiques, one Custom Shop, and more Epiphones, Kramers, ESPs, Vintage and so on than I can be bothered to list. I know what I'm talking about. Studios are not good guitars, and neither the 49x/50x series or BurstBuckers are good either.

Quote by oneblackened
You DO know the classic has the ceramic buckers, right?
Sorry, should have specificed, I mean the Classic Antique and Classic Custom; these come with the '57 Classics, which while not good, are at least not entirely awful. I wasn't aware people even considered the regular Classic given the Antique is cheaper and better built.
Quote by bokuho
This is a great example of a post by someone who 1) has never played a guitar worth more than a grand, and 2) doesn't know what real tone is. I'm willing to bet you scoop your mids and/or don't know the difference between distortion and overdrive, right?

I've had several Studio models. I've also had a couple of Vintage Mahoganies, and a Faded. I've got a couple of Standards, a couple of Classic Antiques, one Custom Shop, and more Epiphones, Kramers, ESPs, Vintage and so on than I can be bothered to list. I know what I'm talking about. Studios are not good guitars, and neither the 49x/50x series or BurstBuckers are good either.

Sorry, should have specificed, I mean the Classic Antique and Classic Custom; these come with the '57 Classics, which while not good, are at least not entirely awful. I wasn't aware people even considered the regular Classic given the Antique is cheaper and better built.

talk about beening a dick and yes i have play serveral guitars over a grand not jsut gibsons, or fenders. and no i don't scoop my mids, i can't say i always didn't scoop my mids but thats what friends that have beening playing for many years and a good gutiar teacher does for you. there both BASICALLY when the output is not in it's linear range causing clipping of it's wave forms that about right?? o and if thats right i give credit to my budding if not he's an idiot.
Last edited by nath1142 at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by bokuho

so whats with the gibson and epiphone nerd do you just go play them all and see what ones suck ass??
anyway back with what thread was originally about i think i'm goin to get the swamp ash one just cause i was listening to some sound clips + people hear seem to really hate the pickups and i don't think i will be able to find it in any store.
Hey,

I have 490r and 498t's in my Studio and absolutely love them for blues, rock and pretty much anything. My Studio is a great guitar and I DO own and play guitars worth more than a grand (for crying out loud!).
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
Quote by ste993
Hey,

I have 490r and 498t's in my Studio and absolutely love them for blues, rock and pretty much anything. My Studio is a great guitar and I DO own and play guitars worth more than a grand (for crying out loud!).

thank you man so you like them. how about the neck?? i played a studio and the neck felt sticky and slow but i'm guessing that wears off. this is why i'm kinda wanting to go for the swamp ash studio.
Last edited by nath1142 at Mar 26, 2008,
Yeah, I really like the sound and feel of my Studio. It's different to my other guitars but to be honest I pick it up and play it the most.

The finish on the neck doesn't bother me one bit, but I also have a high gloss maple neck on my Strat which isn't an issue either. Some guys do have a problem with glossy finished necks though. If it's something you can't get used to or don't like then perhaps the Swampie is the way to go as I think it has a smooth matt finish to the neck? I have never even held one to be honest so am not entirely sure of the finish.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
I would really go for the ALnico 49x pickups. They really give out that great LEs PAul Tone. And I think bokuho hates all gibsons except for the expensive ones (and the robot ones) and all epiphones except for the elitists.

Bokuho: If you get your hands on one of those sexy robot studios, I'll hold you to your promise that you'll take everything back about low end gibsons.
---▲===
Pink Floyd
Quote by ste993
Yeah, I really like the sound and feel of my Studio. It's different to my other guitars but to be honest I pick it up and play it the most.

The finish on the neck doesn't bother me one bit, but I also have a high gloss maple neck on my Strat which isn't an issue either. Some guys do have a problem with glossy finished necks though. If it's something you can't get used to or don't like then perhaps the Swampie is the way to go as I think it has a smooth matt finish to the neck? I have never even held one to be honest so am not entirely sure of the finish.

ya i think it just has a clear coat on it or something like that.
Out of the two, the 490s are in my opinon the better all-round pickup though I'd rather have Bare Knuckles any day. If it was me personally, I'd be listening a bit more to bokuho, who probably has some semblance of an idea what he's talking about, whether you agree or not.

Anyway my advice is don't buy a guitar based on the pickups - they can easily be changed later, while the rest of the guitar can't. Get whichever you prefer, and if you have to you can deal with the pickups at a later date. Best of luck
Quote by kyle62
Out of the two, the 490s are in my opinon the better all-round pickup though I'd rather have Bare Knuckles any day. If it was me personally, I'd be listening a bit more to bokuho, who probably has some semblance of an idea what he's talking about, whether you agree or not.

Anyway my advice is don't buy a guitar based on the pickups - they can easily be changed later, while the rest of the guitar can't. Get whichever you prefer, and if you have to you can deal with the pickups at a later date. Best of luck

i know i was just wondering cause i'm again going to go try some gutiars out but by the soundclips and just what people say the brustbuckers seem like a waste,and i might now be able to find the vintage les paul in a store and i want to try it out before i buy it.
Last edited by nath1142 at Mar 27, 2008,
Buy the most comfortable guitar, and then go to www.highorderpickups.com and get some custom pickups for the same price as your off the shelf Seymour Duncans (and way less than Gibson pickups).

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
my vote goes out to the burstbuckers. I found they had more punch, might just have been the guitars I was comparing tho.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
LOoking @ your amp, I'd say get a better amp before you get a new guitar. The Peavey VK 112, or the Crate Palomino V16?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
LOoking @ your amp, I'd say get a better amp before you get a new guitar. The Peavey VK 112, or the Crate Palomino V16?

lol thats jsut the only amp i have up there i also have a peavey blazer, but my g-parents are giving me an amp(just cause there trying to buy my love cause there mocing away) i told them a peavey VK 112 lol nice guess . but i haven't been playing at home much i've been playing at my friends brothers studio thing i guess you could call it, he just has alot better amps and effects and stuff like that.+ if any one of his band is there they help me out alot since i don't have lessons.

marshall mg aren't that bad of an amp you just have to tweak it ALOT, and don't scoop your mid and it is ALMOST an ok amp. but yes there is WAY better amps out there.
Last edited by nath1142 at Mar 27, 2008,
OK, then I'd suggest saving up your money a little more, and getting an Epi Elitist, which is as good as a Gibby standard, which really is a pretty good guitar. MIJ, and it's the exact same materials for $1.5K less.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
they way way differnt pick ups + i think this whole thread has kinda pushed me away from brustbucker pros (like what a gibson standard has in it) and i know nothing about epiphone elitist.

+ whats wrong with the swamps ash studio?? good pick ups (same one as a custom)
the swamp ash body would give it a little brighter tone.
Epi Elitists are apparently phenomenal guitars.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden