Ok so I'm gonna be playing Schism by Tool for the school talent show, my question is :
How to get that twangy (?) sound that Justin Chancellor gets in that song, is it a certain way of playing, amp or effect settings? Also any general tips on playing this song would be appreciated.
Well, he uses a pick. Also, I'd say turn up the mids and highs. I'm not even gonna touch on the effects he uses though... I have no idea.
Try using a pedal that has an "attack" feature. I have the Ibanez Phat Hed and the attack feature on that really crispens up the notes, though to get the actual sound that Chancellor has is a mystery to me.
ALL THE PLAYERS ARE KEEN GRAVE MAKERS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Chancellor

There's his rig, that's pretty much the only way to completely recreate his sound, which is a bitch.

Probably best to just play the song right and not worry too much about sounding exactly like him, aslong as you don't try and play it with a bass heavy dub tone you should be ok.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Last edited by faultyy at Mar 26, 2008,
Well I don't have any effects of his (as guitar is my main instrument) and I am using a pick, might it be the strings? I've got flatwounds on mine, don't know if that would make a difference. Though on the wiki page it says that the woods and electronics of his basses helps with the mid range cut and punch he is known for, which sounds like what I'm looking for. Oh well, ill have to settle with what I got.

EDIT : about the whammy, that's just in the interlude that he uses that, and I've got a digitech multi-effect pedal with whammy on it (its for guitar, but still works i guess).
Quote by Captain Insano
The wiki says he uses a Digitech Bass Whammy on Schism.

Have fun trying to find one.

+1, I got laughed out of a music shop for asking if they could get hold of one, although to be fair it wasn't exactly the friendliest music shop in the world.

I wouldn't bother with using your guitar pedal to be honest, you'll get away with it without effects+I find guitar multi fx pedals do strange things to bass tone
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Ya, I think I'm stuck with it as is, since it's not even my bass (borrowed from my grandpa while he was in florida). Oh well it's Tool, and better yet Schism, it would sound amazing on anything.
I'm surprised noone's said anything about his bass yet. He's got a Wal custom bass, which is out of production now. They're about $2000+ a pop on eBay, if you can ever find one.

I've had enough luck to get a decently small "clank"-y sound from my cheap-arse rig. I'm getting a pretty bright sound with my effects, which is good enough for me.
Just focus on mostly highs and mids, and turn down the bass. I think you'd need some light distortion starting at the hammer-ons, but get a compressor or turn off the distortion for the intro.
I need a sig.
Quote by dark&broken
Ya, I think I'm stuck with it as is, since it's not even my bass (borrowed from my grandpa while he was in florida). Oh well it's Tool, and better yet Schism, it would sound amazing on anything.

Not really. It just wouldn't work without that punch.

It's a shame you can't get new strings onto it. Schism really needs that new string sound I feel.

For the whammy section, just simply play it on the normal D string with a tad flange. And I hope you're doing it with a band. A lot of schism IS the same riff over and over It'd get boring over 6:44
Quote by RykuZ
I'm surprised noone's said anything about his bass yet. He's got a Wal custom bass, which is out of production now. They're about $2000+ a pop on eBay, if you can ever find one.

I've had enough luck to get a decently small "clank"-y sound from my cheap-arse rig. I'm getting a pretty bright sound with my effects, which is good enough for me.
Just focus on mostly highs and mids, and turn down the bass. I think you'd need some light distortion starting at the hammer-ons, but get a compressor or turn off the distortion for the intro.

Can I just clear this up now that justin's Wal tone is barely traditional. While it is in part his bass that dictates his sound, it is mainly coming from the amp. From small bands in my area playing shows I can honestly state in my experience that Gallien Krueger has great emphasis on high end fizz, which really crispens the notes. So no, you don't need a Wal to replicate his sound. I've heard plenty accurate tone coming from a GK and a Rick', EBMM Bongo and a HH Stingray.

/end rant
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I've managed to get a pretty good tone for this song with my Warwick. New Ernie Balls, a tiny bit of distortion, and raised the highs a tad, keeping the highs about normal and a bass slightly cut.

Both pickups on full. However, I'll also agree with Delirium and say this song really needs new strings.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Not really. It just wouldn't work without that punch.

It's a shame you can't get new strings onto it. Schism really needs that new string sound I feel.

For the whammy section, just simply play it on the normal D string with a tad flange. And I hope you're doing it with a band. A lot of schism IS the same riff over and over It'd get boring over 6:44

It is with a band, which is why I'm not too worried about the sound or tone, as it's a school talent show and my school has about 300 students, most of which probably won't show up or care.
Quote by Centurion
Try using a pedal that has an "attack" feature. I have the Ibanez Phat Hed and the attack feature on that really crispens up the notes, though to get the actual sound that Chancellor has is a mystery to me.

I have that same pedal, and yes that is a very nice feature.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by dark&broken
It is with a band, which is why I'm not too worried about the sound or tone, as it's a school talent show and my school has about 300 students, most of which probably won't show up or care.

You should always worry about how you sound in a band. The people who do come may not know that much about music, but they know when something sounds like ****.

Plus, won't you at least be satisfied knowing that you've got a sexy bass tone?