Hi guys,

I'm brand new here, and I am hoping to get involved at UG and also promote my own guitar contest site, which I will not mention here because I don't want to be rude. But what's considered "OK" when it comes to promoting an event here? I will abide by your rules, and please don't flame me for this post!

Thanks,

Sean
Quote by infamousguitar
Hi guys,

I'm brand new here, and I am hoping to get involved at UG and also promote my own guitar contest site, which I will not mention here because I don't want to be rude. But what's considered "OK" when it comes to promoting an event here? I will abide by your rules, and please don't flame me for this post!

Thanks,

Sean
Hi Sean!

Not posting a link to the site was a great choice.
UG has VERY strict rules about advertising or promoting other sites.
In general, if someone ASKS for some help you can post a link to an appropriate site that might help them with their question.

I often post links to tutorials on other sites to help people with their questions in GB&C. But those sites don't really compete with UG.

Newbies should be very careful about making threads that point to external sites.
That could easily get you banned.

I expect one of the Mods might eventually show up on this thread and ask you to PM them the information, so they can advise you.

Good luck, and enjoy your time with us here on UG!

SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't know myself.

We don't really like people who sign up just to promote their own site (IE, we ban them), but you're obviously not one of them.

We do have a rule somewhere that says users with X amount of posts are allowed to advertise their own stuff in their sig etc, but you wouldn't come under there either.

Think the best thing to do is to PM me with more details about whatever you're promoting, and if it seems OK I'll tell you to contact the site owner or admin, see what they say.

Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...