Poll: How many of you all take psychoactive drugs while experiencing music?
Poll Options
View poll results: How many of you all take psychoactive drugs while experiencing music?
Yes, I do because I think it helps me play better.
1 2%
Yes, I do because I enjoy drugs and music as a combination.
9 14%
Yes, I do because I'm high or tripping on a daily basis and it coincides with my music.
1 2%
No, I think drugs are stupid or I don't do them with music.
53 83%
Voters: 64.
Alright, I know this might start a little controversy, and I apologize in advance. Please, if the moderators and administrators find this offensive or bad, I'm sorry and just let me know and I won't pursue my question any further.

My question is, how many of you all take psychoactive drugs to help intensify or heighten your bonding or listening of music? You don't have to put specifics if you don't want to, I'm just wondering if it's greater among this nearly-all-guitarist-community as opposed to the orchestral-upright-bass community I'm a part of.

By drugs, I do not imply tobacco or alcohol.

Thanks for your input.

--Arojekt.
Last edited by Arojekt at Mar 26, 2008,
i don't do any sort of drugs, and the majority of my friends say using it to enhance music works, but not to improve creativity/playing
honestly i dont think its smart to take drugs, or smoke, or drink, but thats because i grew up with family members who have done these things and seen what it does to ur health and everything else, plus music is supposed to listend to in its originality
for the record im not for or against drugs i take the corner
not with music. this it's the 60's/70's anymore
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
I've never done it, and I've nobody's ever said anything about it to me. That being said, I don't tihnk drugs are stupid blah blah so I won't vote.
Quote by KoolAidMan888
nope Makes it so i cant play music and makes ma angry

Heh, what're you taking? I don't think I've yet taken a drug that makes me angry... Eh.

--Arojekt.
Quote by Arojekt
Alright, I know this might start a little controversy, and I apologize in advance. Please, if the moderators and administrators find this offensive or bad, I'm sorry and just let me know and I won't pursue my question any further.

My question is, how many of you all take psychoactive drugs to help intensify or heighten your bonding or listening of music? You don't have to put specifics if you don't want to, I'm just wondering if it's greater among this nearly-all-guitarist-community as opposed to the orchestral-upright-bass community I'm a part of.

By drugs, I do not imply tobacco or alcohol.

Thanks for your input.

--Arojekt.

well, drugs may enhance your experience... or your perception of it (that goes for things other than music as well). but they are also really bad for your health.

While alot of people probably have used drugs for the purpose you state, I would submit that they could have enjoyed it (the music) just as much without it. You will also most likely live longer, and stay saner without them. Its really a bad idea for you to try to justify taking drugs as you are.

If you want justification or an excuse for you to take drugs, I wont give you that. If you want to take them though, thats your business.

drugs wont make you better, or more creative. But you they might make you think that they do.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 26, 2008,
I agree with your name, BAN GOOD CHARLOTTE (I don't recognize them as a band really).

I'm not looking for an excuse to do drugs. I just think that under certain circumstances for certain people (the people who do it for their own reasons) it really takes a toll on how people perceive music, and I'm interested in how it affects people differently. I'm, I guess, intrigued about how much it varies between different people.

--Arojekt.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Don't do drugs.

*Reported*

DO NOT RESPOND!

LOL that sig

I didnt know for quite a while either.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Arojekt
I agree with your name, BAN GOOD CHARLOTTE (I don't recognize them as a band really).

I'm not looking for an excuse to do drugs. I just think that under certain circumstances for certain people (the people who do it for their own reasons) it really takes a toll on how people perceive music, and I'm interested in how it affects people differently. I'm, I guess, intrigued about how much it varies between different people.

--Arojekt.

It takes a toll on how people perceive anything. The problem is once you start to think "it makes you more creative" or any of that nonsense.... it just feeds the addiction. I would avoid that point of view at all costs. No good can come of it.... and alot of bad is likely to come of it.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Arojekt

There's only one T.
I've smoked a doobie and played guitar and listened to music. It was fun. I didn't play guitar any better or any worse. I enjoyed the music more. I'm not a complete retard so i don't use drugs to enjoy music any more. If you have to rely on anything you don't actually need to do something, you're pathetic. You need a guitar to play guitar, not drugs. /my post and opinion]
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Although I'm not giving any points to start drugs or fight for my position on the recreational use of psychoactives, I'm just going to clear that many drugs that are used a lot with music such as marijuana salvitum and MDMA are not physically addicting like nicotine or alcohol. I guess it's a problem if you identify and succumb to that thinking, but it's all an opinion among different people with different views. People that are against it will say it's addictive (for the most part) and will try to negate it a lot, while people that are for the use will say it's not addictive and will try to promote it. That's how it goes with any argument.

The only problem here is that the thread was not intended for that argument, whether drugs are good or bad. It was intended to determine the poll standings of whether people use drugs or not with music in any way, shape, or form. It's not to argue legalities, people's points of view on the use, or anything. Just a Yes / No question, essentially.

--Arojekt.
Last edited by Arojekt at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by Arojekt
Although I'm not giving any points to start drugs or fight for my position on the recreational use of psychoactives, I'm just going to clear that many drugs that are used a lot with music such as marijuana salvitum and MDMA are not physically addicting like nicotine or alcohol. I guess it's a problem if you identify and succumb to that thinking, but it's all an opinion among different people with different views. People that are against it will say it's addictive (for the most part) and will try to negate it a lot, while people that are for the use will say it's not addictive and will try to promote it. That's how it goes with any argument.

--Arojekt.

again more justifications for using it. (saying its not addictive).

Like you said.... thats the view of the people that use it..... its also a justification to feel better about doing something that is known to have bad effects on your health.
shred is gaudy music
Whether or not it's addictive or not, let's not jump feet first into an argument that may (down the road) break out anyways. I am only looking for answers to the poll's inquiry. I'm done with fighting for or going against drugs and their recreational use in this forum. I hope others understand.

--Arojekt.
Quote by smb
Being high doesn't make music better, but music makes being on drugs better

Well said
Quote by GuitarMunky
again more justifications for using it. (saying its not addictive).

It's not so much a justification for than a negation of an argument against

I'll just say I disagree very much with the censorship of drug-related topics, especially in a context like this thread where intelligent, relevant, and reasoned discussion has an opportunity to sprout.

The way I see, mind-altering substances do just that - alter your mind, your consciousness. This is not without risk or reward. Educate yourself and make your choice; it is your responsibility.
Quote by Nick_
It's not so much a justification for than a negation of an argument against

negating the argument against (especially when it wasnt even brought up).... shows an attempt to justify. Anyway thats my take. I respect your opinion.

Quote by Nick_

The way I see, mind-altering substances do just that - alter your mind, your consciousness. This is not without risk or reward. Educate yourself and make your choice; it is your responsibility.

Totally agree.
shred is gaudy music
i dont do drugs, but i am curious as to see what happens when one is one drugs while playing music. i think i might do an experiment one day...
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Quote by talia.
i dont do drugs, but i am curious as to see what happens when one is one drugs while playing music. i think i might do an experiment one day...

Research and be safe. Can't stress that enough. The guys in the drug thread are really knowledgable. Know the drug, know your body.

Anyways this thread was ok until the whole drug debate.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I've never used drugs, and I hope I never do use cocaine, heroin, ecstasy etc. As for marijuana, if I could get hold of some then maybe I would try it out, but I wouldn't expect it to improve my guitar playing.
Quote by Avedas
I've never done it, and I've nobody's ever said anything about it to me. That being said, I don't tihnk drugs are stupid blah blah so I won't vote.

I share this opinion, but voted last one 'cause it did say "I think they are stupid OR I don't do it", and the second part fits me.

Maybe I will one day, but I don't have any specific plans to.
Quote by nosushi4you
It doesn't. I like jerking off, but I'm sure as hell not gonna do it with my Dad.
Quote by punkrocker10115
I <3 you!
Yes it is!
Second one to me

Kids, drugs are dangerous. Stay safe.
Quote by talia.

Oooh! Oooh! Can I participate?

--Arojekt.
So far, I've tried two different drugs on different occasions, DXM and weed, and I've had very pleasant experiences with music. Both drugs made me feel like the music was channeling through the meridians of my body. I'm a virgin, so it wouldn't make sense to compare it to a orgasm, but I would say it's like being dry humped by someone you really like...

That's just me. I'm a bit of a lustbucket, so I don't know if that's the best way to put it.
~If the government weren't so stupid, we'd all live happier lives...LEARN before you judge drug culture!~
Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide is a very pleasant drug, especially near the third and fourth plateaus, however, the only drawback I find is that it is easy to miscalculate the dose and end up doing more pain than pleasure. Also, personally, it tastes horrible! It does mix entirely well with music because you get this "robot" feeling. If you thought that was fun, get some ecstasy. The more MDMA chemical parts to anything else, the better. Try not to get anything with cocaine or extras in it, because it can seriously mess you up. The feeling generated in this psychedelic can be compared pretty well with a lag such as apparent in a video game. It makes your sense of vision and balance delay between movements, and in doing so, creates the most amazing headbanging session the best thing while on the dose.

--Arojekt.
for me acid, mushrooms, and weed just keep the walls of writers block from building up.
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
I've spilled more drugs than most of you have tried, and I've tried pretty much
all you can think of.

First of all, you can't just lump "drug" as 1 thing. There is a vast and hugely different
array of effects. Most are as different as night and day.

Do you want heaven or hell?

Drugs can give you a nearly immediate taste of both and a wide spectrum in
between. However, in my experience, heaven NEVER sticks past the drug wearing
off. Hell has a far greater potential of lasting a long time, if not permanently.

You can get some amazing insights from some drugs without much risk, but make
no mistake, you're playing with fire. Tread VERY carefully if you're going to.

If you can awaken to the fact that the world as you experience it is a CHOICE
made by you through your perception, you can realize heaven is already inside you.
It takes mind training to awaken to it, but it IS there. If you want to avoid
doing work yourself, you pay someone else to do it. That's what you're doing
with drugs. It does the work of letting you see a little slice of heaven, but it
demands payment. Always. And the payment can be steep.

As far as playing goes, they aren't going to help you much at all. Not with anything
that lasts. Not with any drug I've tried.
EDG, I agree completely that many drugs cannot be so easily lumped together under one common name. From pain-killers to marijuana salvitum, right there, that's a large difference.

Also, I have experienced many of what would consider the "harder" psychoactives on the scale. I tested them all with music and without on my first tries.

Early, I do like all that you mentioned, however I do not believe that LSD has much effect with music (although it's apparent none-the-less) as it does visually with it's "Kaleidoscope" vision.

--Arojekt.
R.I.P. Andrew Thomas Butler - 11/07/07. You're in our hearts forever, man.

Setup:
Traben Phoenix 5-String Bass.
Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX 4-String Bass: Blue (For Sale. Contact me if you're interested.)
Dingwall Afterburner II 5-String Bass.
edg, i'm 27. i'm right there with you. from ages 17-25 there wasn't a day that went by that i wasn't on something be it acid, ecstacy,mushrooms, pills, pot, alcohol and any and all possible combination of the aforementioned drugs (for the record on my 18th birthday i consumed around 80 hits of acid, i tripped for 5 days and spent most of it playing guitar) while on the drugs it may have a positive mind opening effect but its nothing you can't achieve without drugs.

i do NOT endorse using drugs as a crutch for "inspiration" or "imagination" as some (actually MANY) people wouldn't live or stay remotely sane through what some of us have done to go where we've gone. after being relatively sober for the past 2 years or so i've found that you can easily be as imaginative without them as you can with them.

drugs change who you are as a person, for better or worse. i like to think in my case for the better, but i definately consider myself a staggering exception to the rule as i have watched them ruin and kill my best friends due to addiction and over consumption.

if you're willing to work for it, there is nothing you can't achieve without drugs. theres really no reason to do them. people will do what they want but we can't and won't endorse use, especially considering many underage kids come in here. and for every 1 kid that does them and it has a positive effect there are 10 or more that it will turn into thieves, junkies, criminals or worse.