well maybe not all, but they're still pretty damn good

i have all their albums and they're easily one of my favorite bands that are around today.

any news of a new album yet?
Good band.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

they dont pwn all, and they dont pwn many. and i dont look forward to a new album.

just though you should know
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
one of my favorites
but they're definitely not for everyone therefore the don't "pwn all"
I haven't heard anything of a new album but I will most certainly acquire it as soon as it leaks (if in fact there is one in the works)

and rockon1824
I would go with Her Majesty or The Crane Wife
I want Super Saiyan abilities
i'd go with the crane wife. the island (the second track) is probably my favorite song by them. the only song i don't like is shankill butchers, but every other song on there is good.
Quote by rockon1824
I only have Picaresque, but I like it a lot. What album should I get next?

'Castaways & Cutouts' - easily their best.

As for a new album, haven't heard any news of a new Decemberists release, but Colin's album comes out in a month or two.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
They pwn a few things, yes.

Does anyone think Colin Meloy looks a lot like Ben Gibbard? Because I certainly do.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
I only have The Crane Wife, but I like it. What should I get next?

Any band with a guitarist called Chris Funk have to be pretty good.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Gooooooood band. Haven't seen anything about new releases.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

I liked shankhill butchers haha

my favorite song is red right ankle though.
Moments into minutes.
Minutes into hours.
Hours into days.
Days into years.
Years into possibility.

This will linger.
xxx
Quote by Andrewbiles
'Castaways & Cutouts' - easily their best.

As for a new album, haven't heard any news of a new Decemberists release, but Colin's album comes out in a month or two.

less than that isn't it? i thought it came out mid april. i hope it is out soon being that i have a preorder in for it.
April 8th!
I thought it was the start of May or something. That's good news.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I went to a free concert of there's in Millenium Park. It was fun, but most people used it as an excuse to get completely wasted, and I think a few were on drugs. There was this one guy dancing in the rain with his friend.

I just thought I should share that pleasant anecdote.
Sent from my iPad.
same question as rockon, but i am sort of looking for which cd has lyrics that arent as out there, i hear they do a lot of stuff based on specific concepts (turkish prostitues?), but im kind of looking for something a little bit more immediately accessable for my first introduction, i have all 3 shins albums and transatlanticism by death cab ( i plan on getting more soon) and i dig all of the above if that makes any difference

i would be quite grateful for thine opinions
Quote by fosho
how....did you find that wiki article?
youre a weird one tjdjr09

i agree with andrew, pick up Castaways and Cutouts. honestly, it doesn't really matter what the first album you pick is, they are all quite easy to get into.
first album of theirs i heard was picaresque and that got me into them i now have all their albums... they're a great band
Still, don't you think that they remain with the same sound through all their albums? I'm only a casual listener so perhaps it's due to that, but I feel like I can only listen to them once a month. Sure they write awesome lyrics but that isn't everything.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
so the Colin Meloy solo album is pretty good. nothing amazing, but worth hearing for sure.
^ Vinyl has been delayed so don't have it yet

Quote by The Hurt Within
I'm only a casual listener so perhaps it's due to that, but I feel like I can only listen to them once a month. Sure they write awesome lyrics but that isn't everything.

Can definitely agree with that. It's a great sound but you have to be in the right mood or have had a bit of a break from them for a while.

RateYourMusic
I'm seeing Colin in Toronto next week.

A quick search of this thread found nothing about The Tain. What do you guys think of it? Me, I think it's amazing. There's a music video for it on the Practical Handbook DVD that sooort of explains what it's about, but not really. I ended up having to read the entire wikipedia article on its origin.
Alright, so I've got 3 albums (all of their LP's except Her Majesty), and they're really outstanding. The fact that Colin Meloy has a degree in writing is like, a big cherry on top for me, his lyrics are closer to poetry. I don't know many people write as intelligently as him, Ben Gibbard might be the only close one that comes to mind offhand.