ok i know this is a stupid question but would a tube head work with a SS cabinet and the other way around?
Quote by jakewynnrocks
marshall has half stacks for only 600, but i dont know if theyre any good. seems like a good deal....
There's no such thing as a tube or SS cabinet. It's just a box with speakers. The things that matter for cabs are ohms and wattage handling. The ohms must match the head and the cab's wattage handling(rating) must be more (50%more suggested) than the head's output wattage.
Quote by Roc8995
There's no such thing as a tube or SS cabinet. It's just a box with speakers. The things that matter for cabs are ohms and wattage handling. The ohms must match the head and the cab's wattage handling(rating) must be more (50%more suggested) than the head's output wattage.

huh? i'm confused what you're saying.
they rate speakers conservatively.
rule of thumb is that if your head is rated 50 watts (amps generally put out more power when they distort) and your speaker is rated 50 watts you're fine. They rate speakers conservatively for a reason, to avoid confusion. which is what you're doing to me :S
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
huh? i'm confused what you're saying.
they rate speakers conservatively.
rule of thumb is that if your head is rated 50 watts (amps generally put out more power when they distort) and your speaker is rated 50 watts you're fine. They rate speakers conservatively for a reason, to avoid confusion. which is what you're doing to me :S

That's true. I just tend to suggest 50% extra because I have seen 50w plexis wipe out 50w cabs.
I know speakers are conservatively rated, but so are amps- they're rated at their clean wattage. Distorted they can put out 50% more than their advertised wattage (sometimes more in special cases), which is why I suggest over-rating the speakers.
You can usually use exactly matched amps and cabs but I would suggest over-rating the cab if you can. It's silly to endanger the amp and speakers if you don't have to.
so say if you have a 120 wat cabinet what size of tube head would you put on it?
Quote by jakewynnrocks
marshall has half stacks for only 600, but i dont know if theyre any good. seems like a good deal....
I personally wouldn't put anything larger than 100 on it but you could theoretically use a 120w amp. Usually you get the head first and then match the cab though.
Quote by Roc8995
I personally wouldn't put anything larger than 100 on it but you could theoretically use a 120w amp. Usually you get the head first and then match the cab though.

I'd actually say anything is fine on a 120 watt cab. If you're putting out a 120 watt amp at full power, something a seriously wrong. thats unbelieveably loud, and you'd definitely have hearing damage.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer