i want a nice tube amp that will have the treble distortion of a soldano SLO-100
anyone know something good?
Quote by deadagain6591
i want a nice tube amp that will have the treble distortion of a soldano SLO-100
anyone know something good?

5150 was based on the SLO
i didnt even know yamaha made amps...other than the cheap SS amps.
I'm guessing that nobody has ever tried one. try harmony central.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Br3wt4lz
5150 was based on the SLO

It's more or less a cheap clone of the SLO. With some tweaking you could probably get close.
i just was playing around with my flextone and landed on the slo-100 setting and loved the sound...thought if i could get the tube amp version it would make it amazing, looks like im gonna be getting a 5150
Quote by deadagain6591
any1 try the Yahmaha t-100? supposedly its the same amp

Not really.

It's got about the same amount of gain on it but it is no SLO, that's for sure.

The T100 I played lacked bass and was way harsh.

You could probably swap out the components and make it like the Soldano.

I'm still willing to bet that it still wouldn't sound like one anyways.

Not worth the effort.

If you really want a Soldano tone, get a Soldano because you won't really find it anywhere else.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Osiris77
Ceriatone Plexi Clone.....

Cheapest way to get close to that tone
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by Osiris77
Ceriatone Plexi Clone.....

I say the Splawn Quickrod, it'll probably be closer.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I say the Splawn Quickrod, it'll probably be closer.

Dude, those are awesome.
erock503 has one. Might just be his awesome playing though...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Dude, those are awesome.
erock503 has one. Might just be his awesome playing though...

They are awesome, but Erock's crazy awesome playing contributes too.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
My Comments: First, the Soldano SLO sounds nothing like a Plexi (it's clean/crunch channel may, but the OD channel on the SLO is NOTHING like a plexi). Second, I've never heard a 5150 sound near an SLO. The 5150 was an SLO clone, but it sounds completely different. Third, look into a Used Soldano Avenger.
haha, appreciate that guys, but it's all amp. They really do sound great, just letting a powerchord ring out can make you sound epic, lol. I love that amp.

On topic, the SLO is badass. If you want the SLO overdrive, the Avenger is probably the best bet imo, like theShred said. It isn't exactly like the SLO overdrive from what I've heard, but it's close.

Personally, I don't think a 5150 sounds that close to an SLO, just opinion. The circuits are similar in some ways, but the parts and implementation are completely different, which makes up a lot of an amps tone IMO. There are traits I like about the 5150 by itself though too.

The Splawns are a great hotrodded Marshall flavor, definitely check them out if you can. If you like that flavor, I think you will like their midrange and treble response. Doesn't really sound like an SLO to me either, but has that same hotrod Marshall vibe, only in their own voicing which I love. They make a single channel version of the Quickrod too, the Competition, that you can pick up under 1k used. Have to use the volume knob roll off like an old marshall single channel, but they clean up well.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Not really.

It's got about the same amount of gain on it but it is no SLO, that's for sure.

The T100 I played lacked bass and was way harsh.

You could probably swap out the components and make it like the Soldano.

I'm still willing to bet that it still wouldn't sound like one anyways.

Not worth the effort.

If you really want a Soldano tone, get a Soldano because you won't really find it anywhere else.

you can send it in to Soldano for the mods to make it closer to a SLO100. the only good thing about this option is that it'll cost over $1000 cheaper since I've seen the T100 for $200 used.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
The T50's and T100's need what is called the "choke mod" in order to start sounding like any of Mike Soldano's other creations. Even then they'll get in the same ballpark, but they're still playing a different ball game. I'm guessing that there are quite a few component differences on the board which could be changed. The transformers are also playing a big role. O-Netics might build you some tranny's for the Yamaha that will duplicate the DeYoung's in the SLO, but I'd think you'll need to step up to at least some Mercury Magnetics' offerings (MM are the stock tranny's in the rest of the Soldano's and most of them are very close to the SLO). It would be really easy to make a very expensive version of a T100 that got close, but at that point it would just be easier to by a Hot Rod 100+.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I like the SLO model on my Flextone well enough that I'd just hang on to the Flextone 'till I could find a used SLO.
well the thing im thinking of doing is because i just want to get rid of this flextone i might just buy a pocketpod used for like 40$ and play it though a tube amp to get the slo tone
Quote by soundnin
you can send it in to Soldano for the mods to make it closer to a SLO100. the only good thing about this option is that it'll cost over $1000 cheaper since I've seen the T100 for $200 used.

You could get it 'closer' to the SLO but it still won't sound like one. My father's co-worker had this mod done for shits and giggles. They pretty much replaced EVERYTHING in the amp and made it about as close to an SLO as you could go and it STILL didn't sound like the SLO. There wasn't nearly as much bass or presence in the T-100 and the gain was still fizzy and overly saturated.

I don't really think it's worth putting money into.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by deadagain6591
im thinkin 5150... is there any difference btw the 5150 and the 6505

Not really no.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by deadagain6591
well the thing im thinking of doing is because i just want to get rid of this flextone i might just buy a pocketpod used for like 40$ and play it though a tube amp to get the slo tone

the flextone will probably sound better.
Quote by deadagain6591

That would be...only marginally better than the Flextone, if at all.