Well im need to restring my guitar and i have been thinking of swithing from 9's to something a little bit heavier. If i were to swith to something heavier like 11's or 12's lets say, would i have to set up my guitar to handle them. I had noticed some people state on here before that if you jump between guages you have to reset your guitar or something. Just to let you know i dont know much about this kind of stuff nor have i had my guitar set up before, so apologize if this is a stupid question.

P.S. Can somebody tell me what string guage SRV uses?

THANKS
Free Mumia
SRV used 13 guage tuned to e flat. EXTREMELY heavy if you're used to 9's. And yes you might have to adjust your guitar so you don't mess up your neck. Especially if you have a floating (floyd) or any type of tremelo bridge. That would require multiple adjustments.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
1. Depends on the guitar. What kind do you have?
2. SRV used anywhere from 11's to 16's tuned down a half step
well i currently have a ****e ibanez gio, and i dont really know how to set it up and dont plan on paying to get it done because i soon plan on buying a new guitar. and yes it does have a whammy war.

Thanks for the help so far guys!
Free Mumia
Don't go straight to 12s, ideally you should go to 10s then 11s first but you can go straight to 11s if you want, but it will be hard for you to play for a little while. You'll get used to it, I use 11s and they feel light to me now.

You will need to adjust your truss rod and intonation. Read up on how to do this, read it from different sources. Have a complete understanding of what you're doing before you do it.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Schneiderman
Don't go straight to 12s, ideally you should go to 10s then 11s first but you can go straight to 11s if you want, but it will be hard for you to play for a little while. You'll get used to it, I use 11s and they feel light to me now.

You will need to adjust your truss rod and intonation. Read up on how to do this, read it from different sources. Have a complete understanding of what you're doing before you do it.

^^^what he said going from 9's to 12's even 11's will feel radically different. they'll hurt your fingers i bit too till you get usted to the thicker strings
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
It depends what your guitar is initially set up for. So if it's a .010 guitar but you've been using .09s... complicated.

BUT

When you jump two gauges higher or lower than your current gauge, you will need a set up. I heard that from a guitar tech at Guitar Showcase in CA.
flying crapola