i guess it means you sound too much like other artists and need to find your own sound and style..
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
It means that you sound generic, like they've heard a million players just like you. You need to find your quirk or niche that makes you recognisable. That's what they're saying.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Most players start out in that generic category... Don't sweat it if you haven't been playing for years.... Writing and experimenting with licks can help with that, along with a little understanding of theory and deviation from typical box patterns, chord progressions and rhythms..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
why do u ask?
did someone call you that???
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Quote by TheBigNoobie
Always play with a phaser or flanger on. Not a lot of talented people do.

That's probably for a reason.

Just need to find your own style, something that'll set you apart form everyone else.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Try to develop your own style by blending licks and techniques from your favourite guitarists/genres as well as expirimenting with many scales.
A phaser or flanger will not mask your mistakes, trust me I know lol. I think it sounds worse on some occasions. Only heavy distortion will with sloppy playing.

Maybe the problem with all these usage of pedals is that too many people either go full on or nothing at all. There are a ton of sounds you can get with a flanger. Set it for a slight effect, I like using Manual, Width and Speed set around 10-11 o'clock and Regen all the way down. Get some sweet tones on clean.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Mar 26, 2008,
This was said to Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaugn when they first started out it and it means that you need to be you and find your own voice on the guitar not just copying someone elses style but you need to let your voice ring out.
well as a song writer ive gone through some various phases from teh brootalz (ugh) to ska to garage rock (where im currently at) and the only differences between a phenominal song and an ok song are the following

1. Great tone (if it sounds crappy people wont want to listen)
2. catchy chord progression (an add 9 or dominant 7th work wonders for other wise stale songs)
3. lyrics/ singing (most fans will like voice oriented music, so if thats something you do as well make sure youre singing loudly and decently, and make sure that the lyrics are not just some generic crap (ex. Got out of bed, feeling half dead, etc...) they dont have to rhyme, but they should be meaningful or fun)
4. Energy, this is possibly the most important... even if the style is mellow it should still feel youthful and full of life, you cant let the dynamics be ignored, and if your on stage you shouldnt just stand still, move around when you can
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Atleast people are saying your talented lol

But the cool thing is i started developing my sound early on and im writing my own stuff. Got bored with trying to mimic the greats because everytime i wanted to play my own stuff it sounded like them... Now its the opposite lol
... and for the love of God, please do not play with a chorus and delay on all the time. That just screams newbie. Makes me want to jam screwdrivers in my ears when I hear that.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
you guys sure the person wasnt actually talking about his VOICE and not his guitar playing?

TS, do you sing? maybe they just ment your singing isnt very original or not anything special but your guitar playing is good. you just need to find a singer or get better at singing. thats what i would have thought from that anyway.
I use the Expo Flanger when I palm mute sometimes when chugging..Gives it as nice spacey sound =x... And yes I am a newbie, anyway back to the topic, people saying that you are very talented, means that you have great potential, how you go about using that gift is up to you.
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
Yeah, it basically means that you're too generic. I guess if someone were to be playing emo/punk stuff I'd say they need to find a more unique sound, just ebcause all of that stuff sounds the same... to me anyway. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing though. Might even be good.
Quote by rifferextacy517
If someone says you are a "very talented" guitar player but need to find a unique voice.what does that mean?

You are the opposite of Jeff Beck?

He's a sloppy player live, but still an absolute genius
Quote by rifferextacy517
guitar player but need to find a unique voice.what does that mean?

tell her youd like her to show you at your place
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard