I just got a fretless jazz bass and the strings are like Elixir flats or something, but they suck! There pretty much dead and unresponsive. I just wanted to know If it mattered if I threw any bass strings on it. I just don't want to tear up my fret board.
Put new flatwound strings on it im very confident the problem is solved.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
From what you're saying, you may not like the duller sound of flatwounds. You can put a set of roundwounds on it, but it'll tear up the fretboard quicker. If you want to put a new set of flats on it, I would recommend some Rotosound flats, they're a little brighter than most flats.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

well I play a P bass to and I got some super slinkys on it. I love the sound of those.
try a new brand of flatwounds.

or,

try some halfwounds for that brighter sound
Vala: 1987 Stratocaster Plus
Dargie: MM Stingray 5 HS Dargie Delight 1 of 15
Buttercream (for now): Stingray 4 HH ltd. 2005 Buttercream
Rose: Bongo 5 HH Fretless Candy Apple Red

Dargie Delight Aholic of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Last edited by Frantic Slayer at Mar 26, 2008,
alright thanks guys, heres another question. I played guitar for over 2 years now and I'm playing bass alot more and I was wondering what material strings sould I use? I use pure nickel for guitar but should I use that for bass to. Also I'm thinking of switching pickups any suggestions on a sweet jazz bass pickup with a big punch!
For materials, I personally believe there's no better than an all stainless steel string. You may not. Some prefer the feel of nickelwounds. For pickups, I would recommend some noiseless ones. Maybe Fender Samarium Cobalts or Batolinis.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
For materials, I personally believe there's no better than an all stainless steel string. You may not. Some prefer the feel of nickelwounds. For pickups, I would recommend some noiseless ones. Maybe Fender Samarium Cobalts or Batolinis.

not to hijack, but is it true that steel wears frets faster?

Try to find some halfwounds (or groundwounds). They're basically roundwounds filed down smooth. They have alot more tone than flats and won't chew up your fretboard like roundwounds. D'Addario makes them.
Quote by scawti
Try to find some halfwounds (or groundwounds). They're basically roundwounds filed down smooth. They have alot more tone than flats and won't chew up your fretboard like roundwounds. D'Addario makes them.

thats what i said