Hey guys, I need advice on a new Guitar. I really like to play lots of Metal like Metallica, Iron Maiden, All that Remains, Megadeth, and lots of other stuff. I also like to play shred like Joe Satriani, and blues (Stevie Ray Vaughn). I have been looking into the Fender Stratocaster and was wondering if it would be ok for metal and heavy distortion. I would probably get the HSS Strat so it will have a Humbucker at the bridge. Lots of people say Strats cannot do metal, but I heard that Iron Maiden uses Fenders. So do you think if I got a good enough amp, and good pedals I could play metal with a strat. And are there any other Metal or Hard rock players that use Strats? Thanks!!
hss strat with the right amp and pedals could definitely do metal
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
Iron Maiden uses Charvel super strats with h/h pups and a OFR

EDIT: Get some after-market replacement pups for more versatility and heaviness
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
metallica`s james uses a strat i think
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by guitarman2332
I really like to play lots of Metal like Metallica, Iron Maiden, All that Remains, Megadeth, and lots of other stuff. I also like to play shred like Joe Satriani, and blues (Stevie Ray Vaughn).

Did you know that most of those artists play/have played Strats? Kirk Hammett has a sort of famous sea foam green Strat. One of Maiden's guitarists has played a Strat for his whole career. And I need not mention SRV.

Get an HSS, and you've got it MADE. You'll have humbucker and single coil tones for whatever you need.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Iron Maiden uses Charvel super strats with h/h pups and a OFR

Actually in a recent thing for Guitar World, Adrian and Dave both play HSS strats with Floyds(though Adrian used SG's for drop-D).
Quote by Ibanez Junkie
Actually in a recent thing for Guitar World, Adrian and Dave both play HSS strats with Floyds(though Adrian used SG's for drop-D).

checked up on my research
i had seen Dave with a jackson/Charvel and that confused me

but yes his starts are custom with floyds and humbuckers
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
The majority of what you're playing is metal. If I were you, I'd get an HH. "Lots of people say strats cannot do metal..."

You can, that is if you are creative. Many people are bound to the fact that certain instruments "can not" play this genre or that genre.

1) there is a big difference between "iron maiden uses fenders" and "iron maiden uses fender stratocasters". clarify. because fender does not only make stratocasters.
2) in my honest opinion, fat strats look like toys
3) have you lookied into other companies? what bothers me the most are people who have to have guitars that say "fender" or "gibson" and amps that say "marshalls". or else it's not a valid guitar or amp. NOT TRUE.

You can easily get two to three guitars that are playable at the cost of a big company guitar.
What I'm cluing at is you can get a "SRV blues guitar" and a "heavy metal wall-of-noise guitar" from smaller companies like SX or Jay Turser.

I think part of being a musician is learning how to save money, 'cause it's not exactly a stable career. If you can't live without that Fender label, I can almost guarantee you will be disappointed.
flying crapola
Quote by litus
metallica`s james uses a strat i think

You're funny bro! Wait, you ARE joking right?

You could do teh br00talz on a single coil Strat if you got a mid boost circuit or something.

I used to just roll the tone knob down half way.

I'd say go HSS Strat, no matter how unholy it is.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If you watch any live Iron Maiden shows, you can see what they're using.

Adrian uses a HSS strat (usually 2, 2-tone sunburst + an off-white model). I believe the pickups are DiMarzio Super Distortion humbuckers and 2 Texas Special single coils. Other than the strats he uses a brown SG. He has recently signed to Jackson guitars though, so maybe he will be using some sort of Jackson now (other than the King V he used during the 90's while with Dickinson).

Dave uses SSS strats with Seymour Duncan Hotrails, and I think I've seen one or two with JB Jr. pickups in the bridge position. During the 80's and early 90's he used HSH strats with DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge position, and DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck. I think the Jackson superstrat mentioned before was a burgundy one with a black pickguard, but still same HSH combo.

Janick uses HSH strats with JB Jr. pups in bridge and neck positions.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
You can of course play whatever you want on whatever you want. I play metal sometimes on my Tele and it sounds great, just not the typical sound that you'd perhaps expect. But maybe that's a good thing? I mean, how many generic metal tones do you want hear?

But anyway, a HSS Strat would suit you just great. Maybe if you replaced the humbucker with something a little hotter would be nice, but may I suggest that you make the humbucker tappable. Would give you that extra versatility for your SRV moments, as he loved that 4th position.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I play metal with my HSS strat and I love it. I like the HSS because you get the humbucker kind of punch, and also the nice clean tones of the other single coils.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Quote by schecter ftw
+1

There is no such thing as a guitar can't play a style of music. You can play any style of music on any guitar IF you have the right amp/pedals.

Reminds me of the time my mate and I tried playing distorted metal/punk on an acoustic through a JCM 2000.

The HSS strat should be a good choice though, I'm looking into them myself.
Richie Sambora used a strat with a PAF Pro, and some other dimarzio's in the neck n mid.Andy Timmons uses an Ibanez strat copy... But I can't help but laugh when he tried to pull off one of Satch's squeals with a strat tremolo when they were playing together at a gig somewhere..
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)