Ok so I'm 17 and im a junior in high school and when I go to college or a conservatory, I want to major in classical composition and theory. I already am good at harmonic analysis, cadences, inversions, etc. I'm pretty much ready for the AP Music Theory test. I am currently also studying Schenkerian analysis (and pretty much all of Heinrich Schenkers other theoretical studies, etc). Also, I am studying atonal music, twelve tone theory, serialism, and many other types of atonal theory, even the schellinger music system. Also, I am interested with all the studies that composers and theorists have done with fibonnacci numbers, like bartok, schellinger, and even Beethoven has done work on that subject. I'm also currently studying all types of counterpoint/species counterpoint. I am also very good at jazz theory. I'm pretty much close to what a first year graduate student would know (I'm really just guessing on that, I might know more or I might know less w/e) and compared to everybody else my age,... well actually, there's no comparison. Anyway, what else is there in theory? I want to learn more theory, but I just can't think of what is left. What else is there in music theory for me to learn? Thnx.

By the way, having said that, if anybody has a question on anything that has to do with theory or composition in any genre of music feel free to ask me.
Gear:
-Brownsville BMAG3 (acoustic)
-Fender 70s Reissue 60th anniversary Stratocaster
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-Roland Digital Piano HP-4500
-(other stuff)
dude, i don't have a clue where you intend to go to college but we don't even start atonal music until our last semester of theory. where i go to college bach is god. wherever i breathe bach is god too. having said that, study bach. don't just play the pieces, study them. look at the chorals, st. matthew's passion, the prelude to the well-tempered clavier(golden ratio). that's another thing, look into the golden ration, pythagorean tuning. look into wagner, vivaldi, carulli and so on. you haven't even touched the surface of what theory has to offer
I really doubt you've already mastered the material required for a college degree, but it would be cool if you did.

Regardless, intelligent posters are always welcome.

If you're really interested in music, look up the textbooks for advanced music classes at a local college/university and read the books in their library.
Have you done solfege, melodic, and rhythmic dictation? It's cool that you know lots of the book parts of theory, but how's your ear? Can you hear a piece and transcribe it on manuscript; the notes, and the rhythm? Can you sing a piece of music just by looking at the notes using solfege? Can you sing all your intervals?
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
I am also very good at jazz theory. I'm pretty much close to what a first year graduate student would know

Graduate, or undergrad? A Graduate student has already completed a degree in the field and is working towards a Master's or doctorate.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by CowboyUp
^^^I had no idea you were a female until just now.

It's a psychological thing. Wrong body and all that stuff.

Keep fighting, BGC. Your dream will come true someday.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by fas11030
I'm pretty much close to what a first year graduate student would know

btw, if that's all you know about theory you wouldn't have passed the second semester at mtsu
Quote by vjferrara
btw, if that's all you know about theory you wouldn't have passed the second semester at mtsu

wuts mtsu?
Gear:
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-(other stuff)
Quote by vjferrara
dude, i don't have a clue where you intend to go to college but we don't even start atonal music until our last semester of theory. where i go to college bach is god. wherever i breathe bach is god too. having said that, study bach. don't just play the pieces, study them. look at the chorals, st. matthew's passion, the prelude to the well-tempered clavier(golden ratio). that's another thing, look into the golden ration, pythagorean tuning. look into wagner, vivaldi, carulli and so on. you haven't even touched the surface of what theory has to offer

yea, I study peices ( not just playing them). I have already analyzed prelude in C from the well-tempered clavier ( if that's the prelude that ur refferring to). I have not seen how the golden ratio fits into that composition though. Where do you go to school?

The schools I want to go to are: New England Conservatory, Berklee College of Music, Boston Conservatory, Manhatten School of Music, New York University, and Queens College (backup school).
Gear:
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-(other stuff)
Last edited by fas11030 at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by fas11030
yea, I study peices ( not just playing them). I have already analyzed prelude in C from the well-tempered clavier ( if that's the prelude that ur refferring to). I have not seen how the golden ratio fits into that composition though. Where do you go to school?

wow!! that entire prelude is built upon the golden ratio!! one of the biggest discussions about that piece is if bach intended it to be that way or he was just that damn good it just happened like that!! hit me up on this thing tomorrow and i'll explain it to you in further detail. i go to middle tennessee state university, music ed major. mtsu has one of the best theory programs for a 4 year school. if you're from ny like your profile says i'd suggest you go to stoney brook. that's where my aunt went for her bachelors. not sure if she got her masters and doctorates there or not. she was a piano performance major.
Quote by calebrocker
Have you done solfege, melodic, and rhythmic dictation? It's cool that you know lots of the book parts of theory, but how's your ear? Can you hear a piece and transcribe it on manuscript; the notes, and the rhythm? Can you sing a piece of music just by looking at the notes using solfege? Can you sing all your intervals?

I practice dictation frequently during my music theory class in school. I have a good ear and I am good at identifying intervals, modes, scales, chord qualities, etc. I am becoming much better at being able to "hear" music by just looking at a manuscript. I am very good at things in music other than what you refer to as "book parts".
Gear:
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-(other stuff)