This is the schematic for the Crate CFP-2 footswitch. I would like to make one for my Crate GX900H. I'm not quite sure how it works though I mean I could always make one then see but I want to understand it first. I don't see how the switch being activated or not would really change it at all. If someone could explain this too me it would be great.

EDIT: sorry its such a massive image
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
I am not sure if this is right....

The single stero jack's sleeve is grounded. Makes sense.

The tip has a SPST switch with a LED (Green) in parallel. Anode goes to ground (sleeve) along with the side of the switch going to the anode.

The ring has a SPST switch with a LED (Red) in parallel. Anode goes to ground (sleeve) along with the side of the switch going to the anode.
That looks right to me. When the switch is pressed the line is grounded. I would guess that the amp itself puts 5 volts or something on to light the LEDs. That switch pulls that line down and it toggles channels as a result. You could confirm that this is what is happening by just taking a stereo cable and shorting the grounded ring to to each of the other and seeing if the amp changes channels.
Oh wow...I got it now. I forgot that diodes only let current through one way. Thanks for clearing up how its wired for me.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Sorry for dredging up this old thread. I'm (a noob) trying to make my own CFP-2 as well.

I tried shorting the sleeve to the tip and to the ring as Schloads suggested and they turn on overdrive, which is really what I want the switch for. That's great and seems to make putting a switch in super simple, but the problem is that the Chorus effect (supposed to be controlled by switch 2, I think) is always on as soon as I plug the line in. I would guess that something has to be connected "by default" for the chorus effect to be off but I've tried connecting everything to everything else and can't get the regular clean channel. Can anyone give me ideas to try based on the wiring schematic that a4lrocker provides?
Are you using a stereo cable? If not the ring will not be there, so the ring connection will always be connected to the sleeve. So it will always be on.
Duuuuuude, why did God give me such a small brain? Yes, thanks, that was totally it. I figured all those heavy cables with the big connectors were all stereo, but then I learned the power of that second little black ring. I'll post pictures/youtube my epic 2-wire creation soon.