Ok UG... I have a problem. I really would like to write a song for my girlfriend. Problem is... I am really really picky about what I write. I never want it to sound too happy cause that makes it sappy, and too sad makes it emo. I really want to write it, and she gives plenty of hints that she wants a song.

I'm not a bad writer, but I just go really hard on myself whenever I attempt to write and I haven't written anything that I truely like despite what others may say.

Am I being to picky about my music? What suggestions do you give for helping boost my comfort with my songs?
"There was a time you let me know
What's real and going on below
But now you never show it to me, do you?
And remember when I moved in you
The holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah"
-Leonard Cohen
writing is about emotion, not writing what you feel is cause its this or that, is only limiting yourself, ive got a binder full of cheesy assed lyrics, ive got a much smaller book of things im happy with.if its for your girl, she's going to be happy with whatever kind of song you write for her, cheesy or not, as long as your honest.
if you want it to be authentic, not too happy, sappy, emo or lame, it has to be heartfelt and soulful. Make it like a Carlos Santana solo. That's a really tall order actually, but if you shoot for that it'll come out alright.

Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Bored? read these, or this
check out inspiration thread/lyrics tips thread in the techniques subforum. I think you'll have plenty of answers there. If not, there are a few similar threads.

This main forum is only for posting up pieces.

Be sure to make the rules that are in an announcement atop the main s&l forum to avoid a warning.

thank you.