Hi I have been told to start study scales and first one I was told to work on was the major scale. I went to www.all-guitar-chords.com and its has so many different major scales. I don't know which ones to practice and memorize. I am a beginner and haven't worked on many scales I just know a couple pentatonic ones. I just want to know whats most important to learn and try right now. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Also what does it mean when someone says something like "Lets play this scale in the key of G". I never understood that.
Last edited by Kash1333 at Mar 26, 2008,
learn a couple of boxes, open, and closed string patterns, thats all there is to it, then, move it around the neck,your starting note is the note you are going to"name" that scale
Quote by Kash1333
Hi I have been told to start study scales and first one I was told to work on was the major scale. I went to www.all-guitar-chords.com and its has so many different major scales. I don't know which ones to practice and memorize. I am a beginner and haven't worked on many scales I just know a couple pentatonic ones. I just want to know whats most important to learn and try right now. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Also what does it mean when someone says something like "Lets play this scale in the key of G". I never understood that.

Scale-wise, key of "G" usually means you're going to start on the G and end on the G. The top string on the third fret is the G. Fret the bottom string on the thrid, and you also have a G. You'll realize that the top string fretted, is the same note fretted on the bottom string for that same fret. The note you start on, is often known as the "root note."
usually you want to play simple to start with. sitck with your basic pentatonics, ad if your band plays in G or E or wtevr, just play a pentatonic scale that starts on that note.

but ive only been playing for a yr or smthing, so dont take that to heart.
think of a scale as a menu, not (this note come before this note) each pattern has what is called a root note. this will be the note that will tell you what key your playing in. if you learn a major scale pattern, it really doesn't matter which one you start with, as long as you know the notes on the string where the root note is located well enough to know what key you're playing in.
the reason why I say a "menu" is so you feel like you can take a little of this, and a little of that to make a satisfying meal/melody. just pick from the notes of the scale as a guide of what will work well together.
a major scale has 7 notes, and therefore seven patterns. these patterns help you transverse the neck, so you should eventually learn them all. (no sense in being stuck in a box) though obviously you need to start with just one.
once again, make sure you know where the root notes are located in the pattern you learn. and be able to identify them as you move the pattern around the neck.