I can't figure out what key the solo to 'Walk" by Pantera is in. It obviously has a D tonality, but I it's really screwing with my head. Is there just a lot of chromatic work going on?
z major
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
by looking at version 4 just now, i can tell you that Walk is in typical metal key, e minor

Its got G aeolian written all over it

of coarse thats simply the fretboard key, if its in a different tuning (you'll notice that i don't even know the song) then incorporate the drops to be exact

but there is virtually no point to figuring out the actual key of a pantera song... unless you wanted to play it on bassoon of coarse.
Quote by Atsuu
by looking at version 4 just now, i can tell you that Walk is in typical metal key, e minor

of coarse thats simply the fretboard key, if its in a different tuning (you'll notice that i don't even know the song) then incorporate the drops to be exact

but there is virtually no point to figuring out the actual key of a pantera song... unless you wanted to play it on bassoon of coarse.

.....so its in E Minor and has G Minor written all over it. Gotcha.

EDIT: I just listened to it and what you might wanna do is analyze it in sections, because it definitely sounds like the entire solo is not in the same key. Also, it does sound pretty "odd" probably due to a lot of chromatic notes as you said.
Last edited by rcw110131 at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by Atsuu

fool/theory noob
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
.....so its in E Minor and has G Minor written all over it. Gotcha.

While he's obviously wrong or wasn't thinking, G Minor and G Aeolian are not the same thing. Brush up on your theory
Quote by Avedas
While he's obviously wrong or wasn't thinking, G Minor and G Aeolian are not the same thing. Brush up on your theory
Mode-based vs. key-based music argument strikes again!
Quote by Avedas

... and E minor would be relative to G major, not G minor. So contradictory.
Quote by grampastumpy
Mode-based vs. key-based music argument strikes again!

I'm having fun with it tonight hahah!
Quote by Atsuu

If you're in E minor, it would have E Aeolian written all over it. In E minor, the mode beginning on G would be Ionian.

TS: The fast lick at the beginning is in the D blues scale, and the ending run is diminished but I can't remember what specific root it's based off of right now.
Clearly, its written in Dimeflatm7#9.

Seriously, how much did Dime care about what key/mode/scale his solo was in when he was recording this album?
Quote by mikeman

Seriously, how much did Dime care about what key/mode/scale his solo was in when he was recording this album?

i think he just won the thread.
Quote by mikeman

I imagine he cared enough to be able to explain to his bandmates what key it was in.

Seriously, what's badass about going "Ok, first you need to put your finger there on the 1, then take your finger off, then put your finger on the 3...etc"?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by mikeman

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Of course he cared. Anybody who wants to record something good would care what key the piece/solo was in. Dime was a good musician; the solos didn't just get thrown together based on nothing, he knew where he wanted to go with them. Besides, the solo is clearly in a specific key, and the TS asked which key it's in. There's no harm in answering that question.
Quote by mikeman

Even if he didn't care, why aren't we allowed to? No matter what some pretentious musical "freethinker" writes, it CAN be explained through theory. This gives people a chance to understand WHY it sounds how it does and how to apply it. This is how you can be influenced by people without just ripping off their licks.