Page 1 of 10
ok, so a good friend of mine told me today that christian rock/metal is not indeed real rock/metal. he says that christian music goes against what rock stands for. he claims that rock stands for "rebellion" and other non-christian/non-religious topics. he does post here occasionally so he may see this thread, which would be funny. i disagree with his statement. i believe any type of rock can be considered rock whatever the lyrical content, as long as it contains elements of rock music. so what does everyone else think?
Kick his ass and leave him in a ditch on a rainy day. I'm not even Christian but your friend is ****ing stupid.
the only thing that makes those bands christian is the lyrics. rock is defined by music (i.e. instrumentation, chord progression, etc.), not lyrics.
Music is music. Just because someone is religious doesn't mean they aren't rebellious, and just because someone has religious beliefs doesn't mean he can't play a iii-v-i progression and whine about the government. I do it all the time.
Didn't a lot of Black Sabbath songs contain lyrics about the Devil being a bad thing? If I'm correct in that statement, then I'm pretty sure Black Sabbath has some Christian connotations. I'm quite sure that Black Sabbath are pretty metal as well.
I made a rhyme about it:

Christian rock is still rock.
It just sucks hairy ****.
HEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY YOUUUU GUYYYYYYSSSS
Rock isn't all about rebelling. It's about rockin out, sweet guitar riff and face melting shredding, its about big drums and chuggin bass, it's about awesome singing. Not just rebellin, it's about the love of music.
For the record, your friend sounds like a total tool. It's an oxymoron to try to be "rebellious" by copying all of the other rebellious people.
Well, christian rock is typically denied being called rock because it fails at doing any rocking whatsoever.

If it manages to actually rock, or be metal, then I think it can take the title of the genre. Music has no set religion.
regular rock/metal has no scruples it tends to disagree with Christianity alot. but christian rock has basic rock elements such as the ocasional guitar solo a 4/4 beat and drums, in rock and or metal the subject matter matters not
Yeah, if rock was all rebellion, it'd be like that saying, "All you nonconformists are alike"

and rock is the style of music, Christian is because of the lyrics.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
my theory on christian music: ignore it and it will go away.

and christian rock can only win mir awards, not platinum like real rock, so christian rock is not rock
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Yeah he is talking about punk rock which is funny if he knew the Sex Pistols were made by a record label, but rock is inspired by the blues which is just a way to express yourself. You can't really define rock so to say it is all rebellious is stupid.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by skvvisgaar
my theory on christian music: ignore it and it will go away.

and christian rock can only win mir awards, not platinum like real rock, so christian rock is not rock

Heaven forbid someone choose to write music about something that gives them joy and fulfillment in life.
Your friend is an idiot. As I Lay Dying is a christian metal band, even tho it wouldn't seem like it from reading thier name.
Quote by kyurah
I made a rhyme about it:

Christian rock is still rock.
It just sucks hairy ****.

+ 1
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
i have a friend who says the same thing
he is an ass hole and so is your friend i enjoy christian music but the reason for playing the music doesnt mean its not a certain genre
Quote by john{ND}{NGD}
Your friend is an idiot. As I Lay Dying is a christian metal band, even tho it wouldn't seem like it from reading thier name.

apparently as i lay dying was the name of a book by a well known author who's name is escapeing me. my dad is an english teacher and he walked into my room yesterday and picked up the cd and pointed out that it was a book, which i was not aware of.
It's my personal Belief that all the Good musicians are in hell and that Rock,Blues,Metal belong to the devil and Christian and rock should be at least 10 words apart unless it involes metal fans hurting christian people . ......and im catholic ......
Quote by tayroar
Yeah he is talking about punk rock which is funny if he knew the Sex Pistols were made by a record label, but rock is inspired by the blues which is just a way to express yourself. You can't really define rock so to say it is all rebellious is stupid.

Actually the Sex Pistols where made by Malcolm McLaren, and he had a real hard time getting them a record deal, on label essentially paid them to leave.

On topic: your friend is a complete tool.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i was the one who originally said this to the topic starter. wow. i feel like ive been so owned.

not quite. christian rock bands need to grow bawlz and realize that rock should not have ever been mixed with religion. Think about it, its a scam. Some record label exec thinks "hey, there are a certain amount of people out there who will accept any form of art so long as it is religous, americans love religion". voila.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Actually the Sex Pistols where made by Malcolm McLaren, and he had a real hard time getting them a record deal, on label essentially paid them to leave.

On topic: your friend is a complete tool.

Well ok I'm a little wrong but still thier image was made and they didn't do it themselves which is ironic because punk is all about hating the system.
Quote by tayroar
Well ok I'm a little wrong but still thier image was made and they didn't do it themselves which is ironic because punk is all about hating the system.

Actually when punk started out in NYC it was about rebelling against bland classic and prog rock.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by thegloaming
i was the one who originally said this to the topic starter. wow. i feel like ive been so owned.

not quite. christian rock bands need to grow bawlz and realize that rock should not have ever been mixed with religion. Think about it, its a scam. Some record label exec thinks "hey, there are a certain amount of people out there who will accept any form of art so long as it is religous, americans love religion". voila.

You realize that just as many br00tal bands are made by record labels as Christian. There are legitimate Christian bands as well. Rock should be mixed with religion because rock is music, music is art, art is about expressing yourself. Get out of your little shell of I hate Christianity because you saying it is stupid and impossible is just as ignorant as saying Christians saying science is impossible.
****, I can't stand having christian lyrics poured into songs. Oh and rock is dead btw.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
To sum this all up:

Christian rock is still rock because rock is about music, not lyrics.

Rebellion is not part of music.

For the win: Most Christian rock sucks anyway, and I'm a Christian. Most Christian rock sucks anyway. There are those few bands that really get it, but most are quite mediocre.

/thread. Seriously.
Quote by the strikes
Banned for giving me a laugh!

Quote by nrc141
another fine example of natural selection not quite working fast enough...

Quote by Twist of fate
Oh Jesus haha
I can't wait for the day we can make superbombs from amp

^You player twist of fate!
Quote by CowboyUp
Heaven forbid someone choose to write music about something that gives them joy and fulfillment in life.

Your statement is a bit ironic in itself
Quote by litelbrown
Jesus was a rebel

Amen to that.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by CaptainOfSmug
****, I can't stand having christian lyrics poured into songs.

Neither can I. I'm a Christian, thus, a few worship songs are ok, but Christian lyrics being forced into a song is lame.
Quote by the strikes

Quote by nrc141

Quote by Twist of fate
Oh Jesus haha

Quote by Grog_ZE_Impaler
It's my personal Belief that all the Good musicians are in hell and that Rock,Blues,Metal belong to the devil and Christian and rock should be at least 10 words apart unless it involes metal fans hurting christian people . ......and im catholic ......

I'm a Christian, and I seriously hope this post wasnt serious.

^bullcrap

You are saying that just because someone is a Christian limits their musical ability, therefore they cannot be considered a "good" musician? Go listen to August Burns Red, they have 2 amazing guitarists and they are a Christian Metalcore band, does the simple fact they carry the Christian label limit their physical abilities?
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
ABR are really good. I hope you were kidding as well, but if you weren't you're wrong anyway.
Quote by the strikes

Quote by nrc141

Quote by Twist of fate
Oh Jesus haha

It's still rock even though IMO most proclaimed "christian" rock bands just sound like crap IMO mebe if they had a better singer or something I might enjoy it better
Quote by Metalcoresoul
I'm a Christian, and I seriously hope this post wasnt serious.

^bullcrap

You are saying that just because someone is a Christian limits their musical ability, therefore they cannot be considered a "good" musician? Go listen to August Burns Red, they have 2 amazing guitarists and they are a Christian Metalcore band, does the simple fact they carry the Christian label limit their physical abilities?

Well, they actually kinda suck, but that's just my opinion I guess...

EDIT:

CowboyUp: Just the fact that you said "Heaven forbid..." at the beginning. I found it amusing