What would be a good guitar for punk music? Just name some brands.
Quote by Saint78
Dude you haven't lived until you've licked chocolate pudding out of a fat ladies back boob.

Quote by Boer Goat
I have never given a golf stack

Congratulations sir.
Pfft, any guitar will do. It's p0nx d00d!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!1

In all seriousness, what's your budget?

If you don't have one, Mosrite guitars, Eastwood guitars, Airline guitars and Fender guitars.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
what would be a few examples of some bands that you consider punk? that would help.

-----
actually it shouldn't even matter, it is punk after all. get the first cheap piece of **** you see. seriously, find the cheapest thing you can find. if people dont find your new punk guitar amusing, then that must mean they listening to the wrong music. your ibanez would even be good. Blake Schwarzenbach had an ibanez when he started. but thats more poppy than actual punk but still good.

for more ska get a semi hollow or a telecaster, but anything will turn out fine. in the end its just a piece of stringed would.
you might need a more powerful amp though. just a thought.
Last edited by dookie_dude_ at Mar 26, 2008,
comeon dude. it's punk. you actually want a crappy guitar for that :P

(serriously tho. anything really. punks like dead center tone wise ANY guitar can do it and ANY amp can too)
yeh but like, ive heard rx bandits get some real heavy tones.. of course rx are ska. not bad, though, considering what i usally listen to
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
cheap guitars that would work are epiphones.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
jawbreaker were pretty punk until the signed to geffen.

ts, name some bands. alot of people say punk and mean pop-punk or emo or whatever. but whether its 80s hardcore, oldschool emo, post-hardcore, pop-punk, post 3rd wave neo emocore grind whatever, a Les Paul is pretty much universally THE go-to guitar.
i don't think people realise that there is a difference, muchless what that difference is between different meanings of 'punk'. i dont want to get into THAT issue, but...

if you mean diy anti-corporate underground type stuff, they used (and still do) whatever crap guitar they could get their hands on. the point is that it doesn't matter, you just get a guitar, learn some power chords, and you're good to go. it's empowerment. alot of those bands shared instruments and amps too, so you'd get a bunch of local bands playing in somebody's basement sharing some whatever they got down there or something.

ive seen telecasters used for both pop punk straight up punk. billy joe armstrong used a fernandes strat copy. i think he uses a LP junior now. most of the 80s/early 90s hardcore and emo bands played LP's and SG's. ian mackaye plays a white sg. greg ginn played a dan armstrong with the pots fixed in place and sealed to keep his sweat out of the body cavities. mcr plays epiphone LPs. hawthorne heights plays SGs i think. so it's pretty varied. it's a matter of what's available to you and what you like, but the LP is a fit for anything that has any association with the word punk.
Last edited by cutslikedrugsx at Mar 27, 2008,
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
jawbreaker were pretty punk until the signed to geffen.

ts, name some bands. alot of people say punk and mean pop-punk or emo or whatever. but whether its 80s hardcore, oldschool emo, post-hardcore, pop-punk, post 3rd wave neo emocore grind whatever, a Les Paul is pretty much universally THE go-to guitar.

So I guess a Les Paul is used in bands like Swing Kids, Portraits of the Past and the modern Circle Takes the Square, City of Caterpillar stuff? And how about the orgpunx stuff like Larry Arms and Hot Water Music?
well.. the Pistols used Les Pauls. Fenders were largely used as well. i use all three of my guitars for punk. honestly as long as it sounds, ya know, decent. it'll come out fine.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
What kind of punk will you be playing? What's your price range? What amp do you have? etc...

An HSS Strat would fit pretty much any sub-genre of punk though.
Quote by crust_punk
What kind of punk will you be playing? What's your price range? What amp do you have? etc...

An HSS Strat would fit pretty much any sub-genre of punk though.

you dont even need the humbucker dude. seriously. part of the beauty of punk is that theres no expertise put into the tone, or even the equipment (generally speaking..). single coils would work just fine. honestly it just depends on whether he wants a slightly twangy tone, or a more crunchy, tight tone.
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
Quote by p o e
you dont even need the humbucker dude. seriously. part of the beauty of punk is that theres no expertise put into the tone, or even the equipment (generally speaking..).

That doesn't mean your tone has to suck.
Quote by crust_punk
That doesn't mean your tone has to suck.

ah.. you have a point there.
maybe i failed.. im sad now. anyways, i think its not as important to a punk as it would be to say, a metal elistist, or a jazz fan. perhaps we should quit bickering and just help the guy?
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
my electric (which is pretty ****ty!) does good punk...
i think any guitar can do a punkish sound
all you really need to do is fiddle with the tuning and your amp settings/ effects peddles...
works for me
thisismysignatureitisveryveryveryboringandasyoucanseeicouldn'tthinkofabettersigwhenididthissig
Quote by Siren Silently
So I guess a Les Paul is used in bands like Swing Kids, Portraits of the Past and the modern Circle Takes the Square, City of Caterpillar stuff? And how about the orgpunx stuff like Larry Arms and Hot Water Music?

one of the guys in portraits played an sg, i dont know what the other guy played but theres a pic here: http://www.portraitsofpast.com/images/Goletashow.jpg. probably my favourite band ever. it looks like they're bassist played a rick? that's new to me.

ctts didn't used to play les pauls, but they played some basement show in jersey and the humidity messed up their pups. i saw them the day after and it looked like their lead guy had an ltd guitar, i dont remember what drew had but i saw them 2 months later after they got new gear and they had LPs. they also didn't sound anywhere nearly as good as they did before.

don't know what swing kids played, but from this pick it kind of looks like like LPs: http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/c/c8/220px-Swingkids.jpg

city of caterpiller: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPx5HkCZDzY
is he playing a danelectro? can't tell what the guy with his back to the camera is playing. maybe a strat or a white sg?

lawrence arms plays with a tele it looks like, and acoustics. some of the pics i googled looked like they have sg's.

hot water music plays LPs.

will killingsworth plays an sg. that guy has the coolest last name ever.
if you got enough money get a Gibson Billie Joe Armstrong Signature Les Paul Junior they give an awesome punk rock grunge sound i got one its amazing
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Pfft, any guitar will do. It's p0nx d00d!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!1

In all seriousness, what's your budget?

If you don't have one, Mosrite guitars, Eastwood guitars, Airline guitars and Fender guitars.

I highly reccomend eastwoods and airlines. They may not be the most popular brand, but they offer extremely amazing quality. I own a Eastwood Airline, its a model of the guitar Jack White usually plays with the White Stripes. If you want punk go with an airline for sure!
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
WHy don't you guys just help him out. Hey man, whats your budget?

Gibson les paul is great for punk, believe it or not heavy metal guitars are good for punk, under the bridge pickup. I love single coil strats for punk also, but many may not like that.
Look for any guitar that catches your eye with a humbucker in the bridge. If it plays well, then buy it!
Punk music makes me think of England which makes me think of Vox amps.
anything w/ humbucker whatever body style you like but you want humcbukers in it.
Quote by jwax
anything w/ humbucker whatever body style you like but you want humcbukers in it.

No, you want humbuckers in it.
The Hello Kitty strat and stick stickers all over it now thats punk...

Seriously though, try out a few guitars and see what you like the best, that's your best bet.
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss DS-1 EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Behringer DD400 Digital Delay
Digitech Bad Monkey
I hate when someone posts a thread with no information (price range/amp/sound he wants) and then never comes back.
Theres a local punk band called A New Start, the guitarist plays a Hello Kitty Squire strat with a Seymour Duncan Invader through a JCM 2000.
They actually sounded pretty good.
Punk is punk.
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X
punk bands have used LPs, strats, telecasters, ibanezes, u should just go to guitar center and try out some guitars and see what you like and what would work for the punk you play
Personally your Kramer would be great the guitarist in my hardcore punk plays one and it sounds great for our music very aggresive
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Epiphone LP would be perfect. There ya go.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)