Recently I've been asked to perform at our local Starbucks by a friend who owns the store. I've never played publically before, only in front of friends and what not. I plan on doing just some low-key acoustic stuff, I usually convert strumming stuff just over to fingerpicking because I think it generally sounds better. Any suggestions on some simple acoustic songs to play, I'm pretty good but I just want stuff that'll be near-impossible to screw up on. Right now I've got about three songs I'm thinking about, Five for Fighting's Superman, Coldplay's The Scientist and Gary Jules' Mad World. I'd like to have about 8 to 10 songs to play, so multiple suggestions would be nice if you have some good ideas.
How to save a life
Banana pancakes
Hey ya
I'll be
My gear:
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Ibanez AEL 50 SERLV
Peavey XXL Half Stack
Good Riddance - Green Day

That's all I got, but you could probably do something by the Beatles...or change a blink 182 song to acoustic
pardon me acoustic - incubus

layla acoustic - eric clapton

chocolate - snow patrol

and if you want a gag song play an acoustic twist on teen spirit.
Kansas - Dust in the Wind
Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Wheeps & Blackbird
Kamelot - On The Coldest Winter Night
Megadeth - A Tout Le Monde
Patti Smith - Because the Night
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (you asked for something near-impossible to screw up)
Elvis Presley - Love Me Tender
Dream Theatre - Hollow Years (this is more like intermediate, but very nice)
Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven
Ozzy Osbourne - Mamma, I'm Coming Home
Pink Floyd - Hey You
Scorpions - No One Like you, Winds of Change, Send Me An Angel
Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil
Steve Vai - Light of the Moon
Tenacious D - F*ck Her Gently (just for the lulz)

Hope that helps
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
I do the same thing with converting everything to fingerpicking.

My suggestions:
Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi
Simple Man by Shinedown (the way Jasin Todd does it would take some time to get straight, but I just fingerpick C, G, Am, then strum the same chords in the chorus, and it's perfect.)
With Arms Wide Open by Creed (do the fingerpicked verse from the electric version, then do the chords from the chord version here on UG)
Like a Stone by Audioslave (sounds okay fingerpicked if you come up with a good, slowish pattern)
Dandelion by Audioslave (not fingerpicked, but you gotta have some variety)
Santa Monica by Everclear (see above)
Big Me(really easy) by Foo Fighters (can sound good fingerpicked)

If you want some funny stuff, check out Stephen Lynch. All incredibly easy and rewarding to learn.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Wish You Were Here- Pink Floyd
Thank You- Led Zeppelin
Jane Says- Jane's Addiction
Hey Jude- The Beatles
Behind Blue Eyes- The Who
Hotel California- The Eagles
Everlong- Foo Fighters
Patience- Guns N' Roses
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
A Favor House Atlantic (acoustic version) - Coheed and Cambria
The Light & The Glass (acoustic version) - Coheed and Cambria
Map of Your Head - Muse
She Will Be Loved - Maroon 5
Mother Superior - Coheed and Cambria
Constellations - Jack Johnson
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
I Cum Blood. (kidding)

OK, seriously speaking, play "Change" by Blind Melon, amazing acoustic song.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
yay! First gig.

Make sure you're calm man, you'll do great. Gigs are really positive experiences and a very fun too. I hope you make the best out of it.

I'd do a Bob Dylan tune or two, just to add that folk touch to the gig.
I'd recommend getting in lots of practice with a microphone, it's more awkward than you'd think if you've never done it before.
Quote by confusius
yay! First gig.

Make sure you're calm man, you'll do great. Gigs are really positive experiences and a very fun too. I hope you make the best out of it.

I'd do a Bob Dylan tune or two, just to add that folk touch to the gig.

just what i was gonna say...try maybe dont think twice by bob dylan, and patience by guns n roses
Quote by xfallchildx
+1 on the blink

check out the song "Not Now"

Isnt that +44. Anyways jack johnson is fun to play and its fairly easy.
Quote by rossjohnson87
Recently I've been asked to perform at our local Starbucks by a friend who owns the store. I've never played publically before, only in front of friends and what not. I plan on doing just some low-key acoustic stuff, I usually convert strumming stuff just over to fingerpicking because I think it generally sounds better. Any suggestions on some simple acoustic songs to play, I'm pretty good but I just want stuff that'll be near-impossible to screw up on. Right now I've got about three songs I'm thinking about, Five for Fighting's Superman, Coldplay's The Scientist and Gary Jules' Mad World. I'd like to have about 8 to 10 songs to play, so multiple suggestions would be nice if you have some good ideas.

What kind of sound equipment are you going to use, if any....?
Good luck! That sounds like fun, just kinda jamming in a coffee shop.

Songs are cool but don't overlook improvising. Maybe as a segway between songs or as a warmup you could just jam out in your favorite scale/chord progression. It generally sounds good, feels more natural, and there's no messing up because you invented it

Maybe look into some laid back acoustic stuff like Sublime or RHCP. Depending on the song, they sound great and aren't too taxing.

Hope it goes well
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by confusius
How did it go? I'm sure you're done with it by now...

+1, I didn't even notice the date until after I posted.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
I love playing the spill canvas, personally, Nick's technique is phenominal. I suggest The Tide and Lullaby (whic I've just put a tab up for, its version 2) they're dead easy to playw ithout thinking about and sound so effective =]

just relax and have fun!
Quote by treeba
I love playing the spill canvas, personally, Nick's technique is phenominal. I suggest The Tide and Lullaby (whic I've just put a tab up for, its version 2) they're dead easy to playw ithout thinking about and sound so effective =]

just relax and have fun!

I agree! Nick is great playing with nothing more than an acoustic guitar. His use of abnormal strum patterns and percussive strumming are great.
Guild GAD-40C w/ PWM pickup
Martin 000-16GT
Washburn D10s-12
Fender Jimmie Vaughan Strat
Schecter C-1+ (For SALE!)
Epiphone G-400 Ltd. w/ EMG's