Page 1 of 2
Okay, I know that's a bad way to put it, but yes, I had lunch with disabled people. Why? My mum works with them at a respite center. And today, she invited me to lunch with her, only I didn't realize it would be on a picnic with a bus full of disabled clients.

And it was such an eye opener.

They're a little weird, yes, but in the end, no different to you or me. I was able to have a normal conversation with most of them, and once you get past their physical appearance, all they need is a little understanding.

With some of them, you could pretty much see in their eyes how depressed they were. But with others, you can see a sparkle of light as they find enjoyment in the smallest of things, things we take for granted everyday.

In the end, I realized they didn't choose to be who or what they are. They were born that way, and their life was cut short the minute they were conceived. I will never make fun of another special person again. I won't even use such conditions as an insult, because if anything, the only people who are insulted are the ones inflicted with such conditions in the first place.

/end thread
Touching
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
That's very good of you TS, I feel inclined to do something as well now. I would stop using the word 'retard' as an insult but it just slips out, I say it without meaning it. Same with the word 'gay,' I say certain things that are bad are 'gay' without thinking that it would probably be pretty annoying for a gay person to hear. Hmmmmm....
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Yeah I've worked with them before and it's pretty amazing when you really get to talk to them and see that they really are just like regular people besides the disability thing. They are usually just stereotyped as being freaks which is pretty sad IMO
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
I went to a school of special ed kids one day to teach them about hurricane safety....I walked in there as a mascot named Petey the Pelican. Boy I felt retarded then.
Airship is liek teh best giitar playr evr!!111!1!

Quote by solidgay
Don't use distortion pedals. Just bury your guitar for three weeks, and then dig it up, that should do the job.

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!
Last edited by black007hawk2 at Mar 27, 2008,
How did you manage to have a conversation? I've known a lot of disabled people and most only know their name.
Yeah, my uncle's got Down Syndrome and he's about 37. He leads a perfectly normal life with a good career and lots of friends. :]
He's really cool, too.

So the stereotype that disabled people can't do anything gets pretty irritating when that person doesn't even know anyone with a disability.
yep yep. A lot of those type of people are actually incredibly smart, they just don't know how to express themselves socially or communicate with others. I like people like that.
Yeah theyre one of the few people who i actually feel bad for in the world. Its not theyre fault. I think they might be the only people i actually dont like to see made fun off lol.
Quote by alliwant
OK, I made a bet witht his guy I know, and I lost...I now have to swallow my own man juice...is there any risk like could I get any diseases from doing this? I'm a virgin so I have no STDs...I don't think...

Answers quickly please!

Quote by Jcore44
Okay, I know that's a bad way to put it, but yes, I had lunch with disabled people. Why? My mum works with them at a respite center. And today, she invited me to lunch with her, only I didn't realize it would be on a picnic with a bus full of disabled clients.

They're a little weird, yes, but in the end, no different to you or me. I was able to have a normal conversation with most of them, and once you get past their physical appearance, all they need is a little understanding.

With some of them, you could pretty much see in their eyes how depressed they were. But with others, you can see a sparkle of light as they find enjoyment in the smallest of things, things we take for granted everyday.

In the end, I realized they didn't choose to be who or what they are. They were born that way, and their life was cut short the minute they were conceived. I will never make fun of another special person again. I won't even use such conditions as an insult, because if anything, the only people who are insulted are the ones inflicted with such conditions in the first place.

/end thread

lol..... mum
I was sitting on a rock with a plate on my lap, eating some salad, when one comes and sits next to me. He smiles at me sideways, without saying anything, and we sit and eat in silence. After a moment or two, he looks up, and in a rather normal but quiet voice, he says, "Your name is Josh isn't it?". Surprised, I choke on a bit of my rissole and nod. "I'm Mark." He says, holding out his hand.

At this point in time, I feel like the retard, and he's the normal one.

Quote by brabb55
lol..... mum

Yeah, I'm Australian. That's how we spell it. And that's how we say it too, mum , not mom .
Last edited by Jcore44 at Mar 26, 2008,
There is nothing different about disabled people at all really. My younger brother has an unnamed disability where he's kinda hard to understand & has a younger mindset than he should. Yet he still lives a perfectly normal life & loves it. Most of the kids at his school are pretty normal as well. There is no reason for anybody ever to make fun of them.
Quote by Gmp
How did you manage to have a conversation? I've known a lot of disabled people and most only know their name.

Not all disabled people can't function more of them can function and could work a simple job and yes the majority can talk they aren't all like Timmy off of South Park.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
our drummer's brother has autism or something and he's really fun to talk to

he really appreciates life more than anyone else.
-GBD <JUST TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!
my aunt started a school here in georgia specifically for special needs children and they truly are amazing people...there is so much we can learn from them about how to treat each other...it really brings new meaning to that song there are angels among us
yeah there's some woman at my church who's not quite right by most people's standards. my sister was like "i feel really bad for her" and that kind of annoyed me. the only reason people feel bad for "retards" is because lots of people shun them and make fun of them. imo, they're just normal people, and we shouldn't need to feel bad for them.
i don't really know how to word that.
dude i know what ur talkin about my mom works with them too.
the one's i talk to are actully funny and nice.
the company my mom works with they have a carwash and we will
go there and help the people, its pretty fun.
member of ug hatecrew

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Last edited by hatecrew15 at Mar 27, 2008,
Hey, good for you TS. I would totally love to volunteer to help people with disabilities, however I can't get off my lazy ass .
And frottage, I know exactly what you mean. It's like people have all this sympathy because something is "wrong" with them. However, if they are happy then who cares, they're living the life they want. Most of the time it's us "normal" people that are ****ed up.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Yeah my school has a good special ed program, and people make fun of them a bit behind their backs, but nothing real serious. But when you actually talk to them, they are really nice people. They don't really not like anybody. It's great.
Quote by Jcore44
Yeah, pretty much that.

They can be just as much fun or every bit as obnoxious and mean as a "normal" person.
But most of them tend to be kind and caring.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
this thread contains way to much love, happiness, and heartfelt feelings for the pit...
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why mankind is.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/map /
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Touching

Yeah.. for sure.
My best friend's brother is disabled, but when you get to know him he's one of the nicest persons you could ever meet.
good stuff man, glad theres more opened hearted people

should write a song about it ~
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Indeed, special needs people are just like regular people:

Some are great to be around, but others are just annoying if you stay around them too long. No point in generalizing and saying they are all wonderful people, I mean some are pretty f*cked up.

Anyways I used to work with a guy who suffered brain damage from a car accident in his twenties. He was a little slower, and all the girls hated him because he hit on them too much, but all around he was an awesome, friendly guy. So anyways TS I am glad to hear your story, it made me happy.
I worked at a school for autistic kids for a week and it was actually quite fun. It does get tiring at the end of the day but it was a very humbling experience. Plus one of the kids looked like Slash!
Quote by The Spoon
i wasnt wikipediaing blow job okay, it just happened

Quote by primusfan

one time i fucked a sofa.

Quote by Draken
Freedom of speach?

on a private website?

Based in Russia?

i'm sorry comrade, but you fail.
Yeah, my mom works with them too. A smile or a hug really makes their day. They are really sweet.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by Jcore44

In the end, I realized they didn't choose to be who or what they are. They were born that way, and their life was cut short the minute they were conceived.

...you had to have lunch with them to realize that? Like, what did you think before then? That they were being like that on purpose?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
My friends older brother was in an accident, and suffered pretty severe brain damage,he can't walk, he looks different, he speaks poorly, but under it, he is still your typical 22 year old man, loves his dirty jokes. :p

and I like him more than his little brother,
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
I've got actually got a mental disability

I have Autism but if you met me, you wouldn't notice it except sometimes I can be anti-social and just sit there and not talk to anyone, and it can be hard for me to understand people

Also my cousin has Autism as well, I'm not as bad as him but I can understand most of his problems

It's true how "retards" are like us except for their disability, and they should be accepted more in our society not rejected.
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
They obviously do have their differences but in the end they are humans and thus should be treated the same.
Sorry to sound like an asshole, but seriously, did you really have to have lunch with them to realise this? It seems that through the whole of your post that you were kinda naive to begin with, but oh well, it seems you're now 'enlightened'. By the way, isn't calling them 'special' insulting?
Quote by Jcore44

/end thread

Did it touch your winky? They did choose, THEY CHOSE IN THEIR PASTLIFE!!
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
do you mean mentally disabled?
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
One thing I really regret was that I did not standing up for this mentally challenged kid the other kids were picking on when I used to ride the bus to school. I never picked on him, but I felt bad not intervening on his behalf. Anyway, I hope that more people start becoming more aware that mentally challenged people don't want sympathy, they want to be treated with the same dignity as anyone else.
Quote by Zeppelin08
I busted a nut because my g-string was too tight.

Quote by rexreeper99
Hendrix. he played jazz right? lol. im real bad with names.

i guess jazz could work

add me up http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/cactus/
Page 1 of 2