I recently heard that Best Buy is going to be a full music store trying to go head to head with Guitar Center. This came through my guitar teacher from the local Gibson rep.
Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
that would suck, where would i take my computer when i'm having problems with it? no geek squad, no life.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Not I
that'd be cool and all
but where am I gonna get my electronic equpment?
They would still sell electronics, just add the music dept.
All I think about is I see how people treat the electronics on display at guitar center by people who generally have an intrest in playing music. At Best buy I can just see all the stuff being played (with) with by people who have no knowlege of instruments or any type of reguard or respect for the fact the instrument is not a toy like guitar hero or what not.

I hear people complain that there are no NEW guitars at guitar center, that they are all used(by all the customers) by the time you purchase one. I can only imagine what it would be like at Best Buy.
Just my thoughts....
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
I hope this happens because there is a best buy within 15 minutes of me, and the closest guitar center is about 85 miles away.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Well this is interesting, yet disturbing news... Anyhow, Best Buy won't be able to compete with Guitar Center for a while, unless they plan on doing a big reconstruction to the stores. Plus, I don't know what kind of people they'll be hiring for the instrument section of Best Buy. I kind of agree with telemonster on the part that they'll be a bunch of random people, especially kids wanting to touch the guitars and other instruments with no intentions of becoming a musician.

I wonder though - telemonster, did your teacher get this information from a legit source? Could it have been from the same website that jimijoe posted? I actually go to school up in Riverside, California. I need to check this out. Too bad I don't a car up there...
This is neat and all, but I'm not technically allowed in any Best Buy ever again... so.... at least there's an Accent Music on the same street.
Hmm... could be interesting... my GC literally shares the building with the Best Buy in the little shopping mall... side by side with a common wall.... I wonder if they'll carry the same brands for comparison shopping?
God, I would hate to hear what it would sound like if random people just plug in and play at Best Buy...Just walk in and hear someone randomly strumming the open strings on a Gibson into like a 100w Marshall. Hell on Earth.
People are going to be asking the Best Buy employees where the strum bar and colour coordinated buttons are.
i actually work at a best buy here in mass. We've had the crappy knock-off gibsons and squire strats for a long time actually, and weve recently added some equally crappy pedals and Dynex brand guitar cables (the "best buy" brand of cables, theyre terrible, i had to use one as a spare till i replaced mine for a couple days). But in no way is best buy currently trying to pursue being known as a music store, nevermind competing with guitar center or anythign like that. it pretty much means that theyll supply some random crappy stuff, but nothing to be alarmed about or fascinated with really. just an additional isle or two in the store with stuff that will be overlooked for the majority of the time
I am lucky living on the outskirts of Birmingham uk.... got one store the whole first floor is accustic guitars and the basement is all electric you could spend all day in there plus there is alot of small music shops, i have to stay away because there is always a deal i cant refuse.
Quote by novafx
Well this is interesting, yet disturbing news... Anyhow, Best Buy won't be able to compete with Guitar Center for a while, unless they plan on doing a big reconstruction to the stores. Plus, I don't know what kind of people they'll be hiring for the instrument section of Best Buy. I kind of agree with telemonster on the part that they'll be a bunch of random people, especially kids wanting to touch the guitars and other instruments with no intentions of becoming a musician.

I wonder though - telemonster, did your teacher get this information from a legit source? Could it have been from the same website that jimijoe posted? I actually go to school up in Riverside, California. I need to check this out. Too bad I don't a car up there...

A company as large as best buy could easily outdo guitar center in a matter of months.

And theyd hire the same kind of people that guitar center hires. I dont see the issue with that either.

And everyone that walks into guitar center isnt a professional musician. I was in GC last saturday and it looked like a middle school field trip. About 14 people (both adults and children all on a seperate guitar and amp jamming away. Some were good others were new. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry for pickin on you but I couldnt help notice the close mindedness.
lol, works at best buys dont do crap, if i saw them trying to sell guitars i would laugh
Eh.. To me a stores a store. If a Best Buy is selling guitars at better prices than whats the difference?
Testing this retail model in this economy is just...well...silly if you ask me.

Chris
There was a thread on TB from a best buy employee, she does resets and opening new stores, And in December 2007 she was involved in opening a BBY Music store in Ritchfield, MN. Her description matches what was said above about a corner of the store and a few sound proof rooms.

But there is now a second test store in the Mid-west.
Quote by novafx

My teacher got it from the local gibson rep. Seems legit to me. My teacher is also a very well respected musician with lots of industry contacts. I have no reason not to beleive him.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
I think it could be possible for the fact that last week Guitar Center sent me a survey and two of the questions pertained to the fact, would I buy a guitar or equipment from a store like Costco.

I now realize the question was covering up the fact that it will be Best Buy. I think GC is getting their cage rattled.

What if Best Buy lists lower prices and there is no haggling? Why does GC want to change their policy to no dealing?