Page 1 of 2
Alright, when the hell did melodeath begin to mean something different than melodic death?

On one of the other forums I visit the users have insisted that the two terms mean totally different things. "Melodeath" is used in reference to bands like In Flames, Insomnium, and Dark Tranquillity, which apparently have more in common with power metal than with death metal. "Melodic death metal" is used for death metal bands with melodic riffs (Vehemence, Quo Vadis, Arsis, etc.).

So far, the only place I've seen this distinction made is on this forum and by a few of the users at MA. Everywhere else just uses melodeath as a shortened version of melodic death.

They do have sort of a point, but overall I think the claim doesn't really have any validity. Has anyone else seen this? What are your views on it?
I think I can understand that. Arsis and Quo Vadis are melodic in a different sense and play it differentely then Insomnium and In Flames. Makes sense.
Well there's obviously differences between those two styles of bands, but melodeath is melodic death metal. Pretty simple.
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
I use Melodeath as a shortened version....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Melodic Deathmetal is Melodic. Which would still those bands you listed.

There is no such thing as melo, and it's only used as a short for melodic.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I can understand that Arsis sound nothing like In Flames and they feel the need to categorise it accordingly, but melodeath is nothing more than an abbreviation for Melodic Death Metal.

If I really want to be pedantic, I could argue that oldschool melodeath like In Flames and Dark Tranquility sounds very different than Kalmah, which in turn sounds nothing like Arsis or Quo Vadis, which in turn sounds different than Amon Amarth's style, which sounds nothing like Bodom, who sound nothing like Wintersun. I could go on and on like that forever, but you get my point. Those sounds all may be diverse, but they're all just as much a part of melodeath.

EDIT: In the name of the Gods of Moderation, WHYYYYYYYY!??!?!???!??
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
This distinction is also made on most soulseek chatrooms and DC++ hubs, most good metal forums, and even here a long while ago (i'm pretty sure)
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Are you f***ing kidding me? Melodeath and melodic death metal are synonymous, you know why? BECAUSE IT'S THE SAME NAME.
thats too far...
Quote by Karl Sanders
its like a four finger, diminished thingy
It makes sense to me. Using "melodeath" to refer to the Gothenburg style of melodic death, and the term "melodic death" to refer to bands that play death metal with more prominent melody. I can't see the problem, since I doubt anyone would argue that Gothenburg and death metal are the same thing.
Gothenburg Melodeath IS Melodic Death metal. It's the start of it. That's like saying we should call bands that sound like Black Sabbath "Birmingham Metal" and every other heavy metal band "heavy metal".
It's stupid.
And anyway...
To quote from the almighty rec thread.
Quote by unfathomable_bo

Melodic Death metal
Also colloqually known as melodeath...
*scroll down*
Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt
*scroll down*
In Flames - The Jester Race ~ Colony ~ Whoracle

/end
Quote by Magero
Gothenburg Melodeath IS Melodic Death metal. It's the start of it. That's like saying we should call bands that sound like Black Sabbath "Birmingham Metal" and every other heavy metal band "heavy metal".

Not really. Gothenburg metal has a very distinct sound, and is quite different from death metal WITH MELODY. Are you telling me you don't hear the difference between Dark Tranquillity and Eucharist, or In Flames and Bolt Thrower?

And please don't misrepresent my statement. I'm not saying Gothenburg is distinct from melodic death based on location, but on sound.

If I may make my own example, it is a little like Traditional Metal and NWOBHM. While NWOBHM is in fact, the "New Wave of British Heavy Metal", it has it's own distinct characteristics in sound that distinguish it from the whole of Trad./Heavy metal. Such is the case with Gothenburg melodic death, and melodic death in a more literal sense of the word.
Last edited by Nightstrider at Mar 27, 2008,
Theres a difference in sound between Lacuna Coil and Cradle of Filth but both are Gothic metal.
Theres a difference between Tvangeste and Dimmu Borgir, but both are Symphonic Black metal.
Genres a fine
Naming genres just because a band has a slightly different sound, yet the same characteristics is just stupid.
It's a stupid distinction then. The Bay Area thrash scene and the German thrash scene are very different, they even have more difference between them than the Gothenburg bands and other melodeath bands, and when discussed it is pointed out, but they are still both thrash, not G-Thrash or BA-Thrash or whatever.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I wouldn't say so. Take Exodus or Kreator and compare them. They may have minor stylistic differences, but they are both distinctly cut from the same cloth. If I listen to Dark Tranquillity, then listen to Illdisposed, I identify one as a definitively Gothenburg band and the other as melodic death.

Obviously, it's an iffy difference for some people, but to my ears Gothenburg melodeath has a very distinct sound to it when compared to other melodic death metal. Therefore, it doesn't surprise me that some people would make the distinction in terminology.
Quote by dead-fish
It's a stupid distinction then. The Bay Area thrash scene and the German thrash scene are very different, they even have more difference between them than the Gothenburg bands and other melodeath bands, and when discussed it is pointed out, but they are still both thrash, not G-Thrash or BA-Thrash or whatever.

haha, I love the way my little blurbs in the rec thread are quoted like bible text

IF A MOD SED IT: IT MUST BE TROO!!

Yeah, both the same thing

and Vehemence are brutal death metal with melodic riffs thrown in here and there, otherwise you might as well call Decrepit Birth melodic death
If that's how you look at it, good for you then. I'm just explaining the rationale for why people would make the distinction, which was the question the thread was posing. Gothenburg does make up the majority of melodeath, but it has a variety of easily noticeable idiosyncrasies that may or may not be present in the music of melodic death bands. I don't consider Gothenburg to be exactly synonymous with melodic death the same way I don't consider NWOBHM to be synonymous with heavy metal. So while I don't usually make the distinction between melodeath and melodic death (since they are quite obviously both the same term) I can sort of see why someone would.
lulz it´s like a taxonomical study of genres

This jellyfish is slightly different from this jellyfish, therefore it is not a jellyfish any longer and hence cast away from it´s cnidarian brethren

it´s so sad...

When I came near losing my own life
It made me learn the true meaning of a smile
Quote by unfathomable_bo
and Vehemence are brutal death metal with melodic riffs thrown in here and there, otherwise you might as well call Decrepit Birth melodic death

The Thoughts from Which I Hide and Helping the World to See are brutal death metal. God Was Created is melodic death metal with gutteral vocals.
Quote by sevenchurches
lulz it´s like a taxonomical study of genres

This jellyfish is slightly different from this jellyfish, therefore it is not a jellyfish any longer and hence cast away from it´s cnidarian brethren

it´s so sad...

Top notch metaphor, me dear lad.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
It's a distinction i've seen used before. Not one that particularly matters much, but for people who use the terms it can be useful for them deciding the type of Melodic Death they want.

It's just a quick way of differentiating between the style that has blossomed from Gothenburg and the style that refers more to Death Metal with melodic influences. It seems pedantic, but it's one of those things you kind of know when you hear it, or have been listening for a while. In the grand scheme of things though, it's essentially moot point.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
*Waits patiently for Nosferatu to show up*

Seriously though, I've seen that distinction, and it has SOME application, but, I still think it's too far. Melodeath=MelodicDeath.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Wow, this gave me a fucking headache! Can we just settle with Melodeath = Melodic Death Metal?
Blind Guardian sounds nothing like Firewind, but both are still Power Metal
I can see where it comes from, because with a lot of bands like In Flames, Dark Tranquillity etc, there's not an awful lot of death metal left, but it can still be under the same umbrella.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by BladeSlinger
I use Melodeath as a shortened version....

+1
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
I use it as a personal thing, not a terminology thing; Of course you can "mock" me for it, but really when I say I like melodic DEATH metal (with emphasis on the "DEATH") its because I dont want to give the impression I like gay boring **** like Scar Symmetry or some poppy lead laden "melodeath" (though I enjoy some I can hardly call myself a fan of it) while on the other hand I like bands that have more of a deathy sound yet have melody

In the long run like Duncang said, they're both on the same umbrella, but some make personal distinctions, specially those that've lived off the goddamn genre for years, while you may have just lived under the same bands; say I just branched off from the realm of random recommendation of the same bands over and over to going to random torrent, blog websites to find better melodeath; it only helped me realize further such a distinction

Aka, go Dyers for the best comment so far :P

As for Decrepit Birth their newest CD is melodic as hell, so I dont see why not, if Vehemence can pass under the same checkout list, or say Arsis, hell Decrepit sounds alot like SoP era death soloing alot lol... wtf really stops anyone from calling them that, their back catalogue? Carcass were grind yet ended up obviously in Melodeath, then their Deth'n'roll shiznit
(Well Bo, if you havent noticed, everyone already calls Vehemence melodeath so I guess we'll lump em in there :P lol)
lol melodeath does not mean death metal with melodic bits!!

How many times do I have to say this?!?!

Melodic Death metal initiated in Gothenburg with the following traits:

-Less gutteral vocals
-More basic song structure
-Thrashy melodic riffs

If a band does not have these things, it is not melodic death, END OF DISCUSSION

People in this thread are listening to death metal and hearing melody and automatically saying, "oh it must be melodeath" Where does that end? Nile/Death/Deicide/Vital Remains have bags of melody and theyre death metal THEY MUST BE MELODEATH!!

I find absolutely no parallels between Decrepit Birth/Vehemence and Carcass's Heartwork album or Early In Flames, and anyone who does is plain wrong. There are harmonised guitars, big deal! The vocals are different the songwriting style is different EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT.

There is a massive difference between the Melodic Death genre (Gothenburg) and death metal with melody

I win
Ya i heard that same bull**** too. Melodic Death Metal = Melodeath. Plain and fucking simple.

Melodeath is just a shorter term. No fucking difference.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Total agreement with bo. I'm not well-versed in the melodeath genre, but bands like Children Of Bodom are nothing like death metal at all
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by jerm__
Ya i heard that same bull**** too. Melodic Death Metal = Melodeath. Plain and fucking simple.

Melodeath is just a shorter term. No fucking difference.

this.
and _bo, I agree, but not all of us were calling death metal with melody melodic death metal
Last edited by solitaryshell90 at Mar 27, 2008,
I agree with Bo, melodic death metal started with bands playing the "gothenburg style" (Ceremonial Oath, At The Gates, Unanimated, Dissection(IMO) etc..) so I have to disagree with the Rec. thread stating that it all started with the old school swedeath classics.

These were certainly death metal that contained melody, yet just as death metal as their mates in the states. Yeah, the classic melodeath bands may have been influenced by them, but then they took more inspiration from non-DM music (NWOBHM, folk, maybe black metal w/ the tremolo picking)

IMO melodeath merely branched out, with bands adding their own spices to the mix to the point where it's turned out heaps different. Yeah it sounds different to Old School Melodeath, but it doesn't make it someth else. To me this Old School had the right to be called Melodic Death Metal, with bands like Eucharist and At The Gates undeniably being Death as! It's just a case of the newer bands having little to do with DM, thus creates confusion in being called melodic death. That's how the genre's ended up folks, with LOTS of variety, you don't have to like all of it, heck, I hate most of it, but at the most don't call it someth else, and at the least don't care what it's called.
Page 1 of 2