my birthdays comin up and ive decided to use it to build my first guitar from scratch to celebrate 16 years of life. Unfortunately, i dont know that much about building guitars...

i took a woodshop class last year, and the teacher said he would help me out on the actual wood work, but that's a small part. One of my dads friends is a graphic designer and also plays guitar so he was more than happy to help when i told him of my plan.

im in the process of forming a band, and we are currently debating if we are going to go full death metal, or tone i down a little like metallica or maybe even a melvins kinda thing.

i dont know where to start with the idea of my guitar... i have a strat and 2 knock offs so im done with strats for now. I need to know about types of wood, pickup wiring, that kind of thing

Any help would be wonderful
thanks
Quote by Godsmack_IV
ur so cool rockhard182

Quote by Phill-Rock
There's always a time and a place for domestic violence.

Quote by recklessnick
i diy all my orgasms.
DIY PONX FTW!
look at any guitar bodys u like and draw it from there work out a new design more closeyl related to what u really want, like the one im working on is based off the schecter hellraiser
the body is between the iceman,or star. Im leaning towards iceman.
warmoth carves it all out right? that would help speed up the process or else id have to make an entire mill plan
Quote by Godsmack_IV
ur so cool rockhard182

Quote by Phill-Rock

Quote by recklessnick
i diy all my orgasms.
DIY PONX FTW!
Quote by rockhard182
the body is between the iceman,or star. Im leaning towards iceman.
warmoth carves it all out right? that would help speed up the process or else id have to make an entire mill plan

yes. they do all the routing for you. if you want to do something in between, you can get a body blank with all the holes pre-routed. that way, all you have to do is cut it in whatever shape you want the body to be.
Quote by F8iscruel
look at any guitar bodys u like and draw it from there work out a new design more closeyl related to what u really want, like the one im working on is based off the schecter hellraiser

Hellraiser? But that's not a body shape... It's a set of specs Schecter can apply to any body style. You mean the C-1 shape?
gotta chip in here.....making a guitar from parts supplied by warmoth (or any other pre-made parts) isn't building a guitar!!!!!!!
I say get the wood and make it from scratch, thats where the real joy comes from (just my 2 cents)

go for alder or rock maple or sapele.....pretty cheap and all sound good (the maple and sapele are very heavy so chambers might be the way to go).
search this forum and you'll find all the info on building you need
is there a way that i can buy a neck online that has the fretboard routered, but not attached?
i want to put on the frets and fretbord myself, not buy a complete one from warmoth
Quote by Godsmack_IV
ur so cool rockhard182

Quote by Phill-Rock

Quote by recklessnick
i diy all my orgasms.
DIY PONX FTW!