Page 1 of 2
pretty straight forward question, do u think the modern metal scene is turning into a circle of everyone doing pointless sweeps, ununderstandable vocals, and almost no melody, basically todays modern version of the end of the 80s
alot of new new bands are changing it like the old school thrashers did in my opinion its guys like trivium and black tide, and also we got some new aussies to deal with in airbourne
I think the current metal scene is in the metal forum.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Airborne aren't metal, listen to them, then AC/DC. Hear the difference? I didn't.
www.myspace.com/nirvana_rox_ryda_j

Quote by Ovenman
Women don't sh*t.
There's no toilet in the kitchen.

Quote by Yan Yan
!

This thread was made back when i had my old 06 account.

airbourne isnt thrash.
so are you saying you don't like thrash?
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
He's talking about the ignorant label of music with guitars: Metal. Not the metal that makes you want to **** a chick or two.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Quote by ryda_jay_1991
Airborne aren't metal, listen to them, then AC/DC. Hear the difference? I didn't.

It's so true. ƒuck metalcore. Ok, I don't mind some of it. ƒuck Trivium. ƒuck Guitar Hero (it's actually fun, but ƒuck the 12 year olds (not literally, pedophiles)), ƒuck Rock Band.

Seriously.

I can't stand it.

My dad teaches drums out of our house and I'm doing a few sweeps, warming up. Then he's like "Can you play Canon Rock? My friend can." I mean, sure, he's only a year younger than me. But still. Wanted to punch him in the face. I proceeded to demonstrate Riders by Outworld. Always makes the kids step down and shut up.
airbourne is the a half-assed rip off band. i have less respect for them than axl rose. and i think the current metal scene is almost as bad as the current punk scene. and thats fricken brutal
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
Bands now are just in it for the money pretty much. What ever type of metal is selling, **** load of bands will follow. As for pointless sweeps, long ass annoying solos and alright vocals, yea, that's what its sounds like, take Dragon Force(sux) for example.
pointless sweeps, ununderstandable vocals... you talking about old avenged sevenfold?
Quote by brabb55
pointless sweeps, ununderstandable vocals... you talking about old avenged sevenfold?

I only heard them do like 2 4 string sweeps on City of Evil
Nu metal is awesome.

I should find a way to inject System of a Down and Mudvayne directly into my bod.y
Quote by Avedas

that album was full of sweeps.
seize the day had tons at the end, and mia had quite a few in the solo.

and to TS
whats wrong with sweeping?
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
Quote by Avedas

+1

And we are talking about the metal scene.

TS, start a band, play metal how you want to play it, who knows? Something good might come out of it.
www.myspace.com/nirvana_rox_ryda_j

Quote by Ovenman
Women don't sh*t.
There's no toilet in the kitchen.

Quote by Yan Yan
!

This thread was made back when i had my old 06 account.

Quote by exiledsoul
that album was full of sweeps.
seize the day had tons at the end, and mia had quite a few in the solo.

and to TS

I don't really like A7X, but I didn't mind that album. I was referring to the two in the Bat Country solo though
Quote by GuitarUltimate?
airbourne is the a half-assed rip off band. i have less respect for them than axl rose. and i think the current metal scene is almost as bad as the current punk scene. and thats fricken brutal

so true. good punk and metal is dormant.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
Quote by F8iscruel
trivium

Get out of my internets.

The Crusade is a killer song, I will give them that though.

Transcribed the bit with the pull-offs into a piano thing, and it sounds great. Also, calling Trivium not linear is like calling a dog turd a diamond.
Quote by Kensai
But they have to be sarcastic or something... or just messing around.

Surely people this dumb must've failed to breathe a long time ago.
theres a lot of metal thats good now. you just need to dig deep into the metal world and ask people in the metal forum. they will all refer you to a load of bands that make all of your statements false. Ununderstandable vocals is only if you don't know how to listen to those grunting growling bands. There are plenty of bands who don't have those vocals, but there are ones that do that are very understandable too with a little practice of listening to. and no, most good metal bands today don't have pointless sweeps. Also Trivium isn't metal. You're thinking of metalcore. Go to the metal forum. We will school you there.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Quote by Avedas
I don't really like A7X, but I didn't mind that album. I was referring to the two in the Bat Country solo though

right on, sorry about that.
yea, im not too much into them, thats their only album i didnt mind.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar

Quote by gsr2k6
yes it sucks, and this is why:

the good old stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwMlsxFLtZI&feature=related

what people consider the best of today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZYC19abOkc&feature=related
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
There's tons of good metal underground, e.g) Spawn of Possession, Dying Fetus, Stratovarius, Candlemass, Electric Wizard, etc.

And I personally love the crazy sweeping and shredding in death metal, but that's just my opinion. It's just the style of most brutal/tech. DM band, some may find it bland, but I find it pretty awesome to play.

If you're talking about metalcore, then I agree with you then (because it's not creative OR brutal/metal.). I still find it better better than nu-metal though, which is devoid of any guitar-related technical proficiency, good singing ('sides SOAD), and creativity.
Last edited by piratemetalhead at Mar 27, 2008,
Quote by F8iscruel
pretty straight forward question, do u think the modern metal scene is turning into a circle of everyone doing pointless sweeps, ununderstandable vocals, and almost no melody, basically todays modern version of the end of the 80s
alot of new new bands are changing it like the old school thrashers did in my opinion its guys like trivium and black tide, and also we got some new aussies to deal with in airbourne

I'll be nice and won't flame you to hell like other metal heads. Go to the metal forum and ask nicely in the rec thread, and we'll show you some good contemporary metal

Just as a start, go listen to Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Ne Obliviscaris, and maybe some Necrophagist.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I've pretty well stopped listening to all the new metal.
It's the same double bass drum beat and rhythm, who can sweep faster and the most, and who can scream ununderstandably. it just all sounds pretty well the same to me.
So I just stick to the old Metal and Hard Rock
Quote by Jayok
I've pretty well stopped listening to all the new metal.
It's the same double bass drum beat and rhythm, who can sweep faster and the most, and who can scream ununderstandably. it just all sounds pretty well the same to me.
So I just stick to the old Metal and Hard Rock

Eh, if it gets faster than Necrophagist, I don't bother. I like actually hearing notes, which I can do fairly well with the Necrophagist.
Quote by Kensai
But they have to be sarcastic or something... or just messing around.

Surely people this dumb must've failed to breathe a long time ago.
Quote by Avedas

dont get me wrong.. whether it be good or bad.. i love A7X.. and i love their early and new stuff.. but i cant even understand their old ****
Here are some songs:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CZ_VFJn2kJM
Blind Guardian:Valhalla

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dTYPSRIO0o4
Iced Earth: Melancholy (Holy Martyr)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj5JSYiNrcc
Iced Earth: Dracula

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0MQJTVYwVw
Cynic:Evolutionary Sleeper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qhpBI4XoUs
Sleep Terror:Probing Tranquility

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHC9w7pCIMQ
Arsis:The Face of my Innocence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEz9UhnnHBY
Farmakon: A Temporary Death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ih3JVrRPE
Agalloch:Falling Snow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1tWAlBfUTg
Nevermore:This Godless Endeavor

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2SRD6mjrUMo
Necrophagist:Fermented Offal Discharge You want melody, listen to the solo in this song, it will blow you mind!

Anyways, I'm tired now, so yeah I commend you if you watch all of these, and I highly recommend these songs if you haven't heard them already.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I liked SOAD a bit if you want to call that metal. All this metalcore and hardcore is garbage. In other news, Strapping Young Lad is awesome and so is Dying Fetus. That is real modern metal.
Quote by exiledsoul

and to TS

cuz every single sweep solo sounds exactly the same? I mean its cool and all, but they really all do sound the same.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Quote by Ktool The Girth
cuz every single sweep solo sounds exactly the same? I mean its cool and all, but they really all do sound the same.

Hey, man. Don't get all defensive. I mean, just because you can't do it...
Quote by Avedas
King Diamond before the video loaded. But seriously. That second video sucked. I like growls. Those were not growls.

thats the point. the second video consists of what people call "metal" today, but really, its just crappy generic melodic hardcore. there is still real metal as of today, like some people have stated, but what people consider "metal" now is really shying away from what it really once was
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
Quote by Avedas

I wouldnt call that being defensive. No I cant sweep. I dont intend on learning to either.

Sweeping sounds like the color blue. Every single sweep sounds like blue.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Quote by The2abraxis
thats the point. the second video consists of what people call "metal" today, but really, its just crappy generic melodic hardcore. there is still real metal as of today, like some people have stated, but what people consider "metal" now is really shying away from what it really once was

Oh, definitely. I'm more of a 90's power and prog fan myself. Gotta love the 80's roots though. I just can't justify this to be metal.
Quote by Avedas
Oh, definitely. I'm more of a 90's power and prog fan myself. Gotta love the 80's roots though. I just can't justify this to be metal.

exactly! were on the same page (no pun intended) now!!

Quote by Ktool The Girth
I wouldnt call that being defensive. No I cant sweep. I dont intend on learning to either.

Sweeping sounds like the color blue. Every single sweep sounds like blue.

Sorry, but you sir are wrong. I can understand if you don't like them, but to say they all sound alike is pretty ignorant. Go look up some Marty Friedman, Frank Gambale, Jason Becker, etc.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by The2abraxis
exactly! were on the same page (no pun intended) now!!

I thought we were the whole time?
Quote by Avedas

lol... i practiced sweeping like crazy.. hard ****...
Quote by The Virtuoso
Sorry, but you sir are wrong. I can understand if you don't like them, but to say they all sound alike is pretty ignorant. Go look up some Marty Friedman, Frank Gambale, Jason Becker, etc.

Im sorry, but every single sweep in any genre to to me sounds blue. Blues my favorite color, but thats doesnt make sweeps sound any less blue.
I never said I dont like them, they just all sound the same to me.
Quote by Yakult

Quote by DubStar92
Quote by Avedas
I thought we were the whole time?

ya nvm we were :-[

Quote by Ktool The Girth
Im sorry, but every single sweep in any genre to to me sounds blue. Blues my favorite color, but thats doesnt make sweeps sound any less blue.
I never said I dont like them, they just all sound the same to me.

Eh whatever, if sweeping evokes abstract concepts in you, that's cool. We can agree to disagree.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by The Virtuoso
Eh whatever, if sweeping evokes abstract concepts in you, that's cool. We can agree to disagree.

Most music has a color. Am I the only one that hears it?
Quote by Yakult

Quote by DubStar92
Page 1 of 2