Page 1 of 3
Just out of curiosity, how possible do you think it would be for an average Joe to pull off a Dave Grohl and record a whole CD worth of songs, with necessary instruments (drums, bass, guitar, vocals), and sell the album to become a relatively widely known band?

again...just to see what you guys think.

edit: forgot to mention, in order for it to be a "Dave Grohl trick" the single person has to play every instrument himself. He just records the different instruments at different times......if that makes sense.
Last edited by StJimmy88 at Mar 27, 2008,
did you used to be in a ridiculously popular band
signed,
your favorite poster
Quote by zippidyduda
Um.... que?

you just made that gay thread

shut up.
signed,
your favorite poster
wemonir...you seem to bring something to my attention that I previously had no clue about. And with that bit of information, I realize it wouldn't be that hard to Grohl to pull off something like that. Umm...excuse my lack of knowledge, but what band was he in before Foo Fighters?
yeah ive sold an album that way
wasnt great though

cuz i kinda suck at drums

but if your musically talented in all necessary instruments like dave than go for it
wasnt great though

but if your musically talented in all necessary instruments like dave than go for it
wasnt great though

Quote by StJimmy88
wemonir...you seem to bring something to my attention that I previously had no clue about. And with that bit of information, I realize it wouldn't be that hard to Grohl to pull off something like that. Umm...excuse my lack of knowledge, but what band was he in before Foo Fighters?

scream
signed,
your favorite poster
he certainly wasn't in a band that would allow him to sell records to the masses no matter what kind of **** he put out, that's for sure. (not saying it's ****, just making a point)
Quote by wemonir
you just made that gay thread

shut up.

Yes.

And no.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by Paquijón
Dave Grohl records all of the instruments??

he recorded nearly all the instruments on nearly every track for foo fighter's first album
signed,
your favorite poster
Quote by StJimmy88

He was in Nirvana.

On topic: It is possible I suppose, I know some few people have done it in the past.
Quote by StJimmy88

No, you are not excused.

Nirvana. Ring any bells?
dave grohl recorded all the parts on the album "foo fighters," except for the solo on the song "static-x" i think it was called

and to TS, he was the drummer for nirvana if you didn't know that already
Quote by StJimmy88

He was the drummer for Nirvana
He was in Nirvana. Drummer. Duh.
And yeah, it's probably possible to do. If you were damn determined.
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

*smooths mair and straightens shirt*

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
t3gan and Bec > Tegan and Sara.
It is certainly possible, given that you can play all instruments on the record.
Of course, you might be better off getting other people to help you out and play rhythm while you record leads or vice-versa. If you are good at recording, and just really want to get stuff down on track (I get that feeling every couple of weeks), then do it.

You do know you don't have to have a bunch of instruments to make a record, music can be literally whatever you want it to be, and don't let lack of resources stop you from making and recording music, you can always find a way.
"Who is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?"
- Obi Wan Kenobi, Star Wars Episode IV

"The Five Senses Blind the Eye"
- Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Ok, I'm thinking of trying it however I really don't know how well it'll work. It also won't be for a while, I don't even have a drumset yet, so once I get one we'll see how my skill at drums plays out.

In addition to other comments on Dave Grohl's former band: I did actually hear that he was in Nirvana. Then after Kobain died, Dave wrote 'There Goes My Hero' in his honor.
I'm not sure about the getting famous part, but it wouldn't be hard at all to make a CD by yourself as long as you have the right recording equipment. Hell, I know how to play bass, drums, and keyboard, and I'm sure I could play guitar to at least get by on the record, and I'm 15...in short, you don't have to be a musical genius to pull it off.
TS, how bout a better idea?

instead of doing a david grohl and record a rock album...you do a ben gibbard and make a techno/electronica albulm?

the postal service heavily relys on synths and backing tracks (and that other guy that no one ever gives any credit ) but he still lays down guitar work and drum work over alot of the tracks.

IMO thats a way better idea.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
it should be fine, i've done some recording stuff all by myself. be prepared for it to be alot of work though, alot of long hours too. and because your doing all the work, it will take alot of tracks, and i mean alot. your best off just practicing with some acoustic stuff, for example try doing a cover of the song skin and bones, its easy enough on all instrumetns, and you are obviously a foo fighters fan. i tried it, and it sounded ok. so good luck with all of that.

EDIT:
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
TS, how bout a better idea?

instead of doing a david grohl and record a rock album...you do a ben gibbard and make a techno/electronica albulm?

the postal service heavily relys on synths and backing tracks (and that other guy that no one ever gives any credit ) but he still lays down guitar work and drum work over alot of the tracks.

IMO thats a way better idea.

i thought it was two guys, and they sent the demos back and forth through the US "postal service" and thats where they got the name from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Postal_Service
see two guys.
Last edited by aaron6890 at Mar 27, 2008,
yeah!

thats what I'm doing right now!

im using audacity right now tho...
"I've said it like 30 times in a row" - Barry Johnson and the Funky Bunch
Quote by aaron6890

EDIT:

i thought it was two guys, and they sent the demos back and forth through the US "postal service" and thats where they got the name from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Postal_Service
see two guys.

lol i know. thats what i was alluding to when i said "that other guy that no one ever gives any credit" . the other guy, jimmy tamborello, all he did was make the backing electronica tracks, sent them to gibbard, then gibbard added vocals, guitar, drums, etc.

wouldnt be too awful hard to do both. just gotta learn how make backing tracks.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by crucible#1
What about Brendan Smalls

Even though I think he had some help

He does everything but the drums.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
lol i know. thats what i was alluding to when i said "that other guy that no one ever gives any credit" . the other guy, jimmy tamborello, all he did was make the backing electronica tracks, sent them to gibbard, then gibbard added vocals, guitar, drums, etc.

very true, you just have to have great timing, alot of good equipment, and alot of time.
It works if you where in the most popular band of the early 90s, if not, then not so much.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by StJimmy88
Ok, I'm thinking of trying it however I really don't know how well it'll work. It also won't be for a while, I don't even have a drumset yet, so once I get one we'll see how my skill at drums plays out.

In addition to other comments on Dave Grohl's former band: I did actually hear that he was in Nirvana. Then after Kobain died, Dave wrote 'There Goes My Hero' in his honor.

Okay, first things first. It's Cobain.
And "My Hero" is not about said Cobain. The only song they have that has been confirmed to be about Cobain is "Friend of a Friend"

Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

*smooths mair and straightens shirt*

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
t3gan and Bec > Tegan and Sara.
Grohl has something the average joe doesn't: establishment with the music industry.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by t3gan
Okay, first things first. It's Cobain.
And "My Hero" is not about said Cobain. The only song they have that has been confirmed to be about Cobain is "Friend of a Friend"

very true, dave even once said, he hates it when people think every song is about kurt cobain, he does know other people, and those other people do have problems.
Well if Aaron Gillespie (Underoath drummer) can do it, anyone can

'Nuff said...
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by zonko_zulio
He was in Nirvana.

On topic: It is possible I suppose, I know some few people have done it in the past.

He was also in another huge band in between Nirvana & Foo Fighters but I cant remember the name!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000

I know, I can't believe all he did was make the electronica elements that make The Postal Service what it is. We all know how easy they are to create.
There is poetry in despair.
yeah it would work if you were in the most popular band of an era (early-mid 90s in Grohl's case) and have the lead singer die and lots of people listening to your band because of that.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Quote by gunners fan
He was also in another huge band in between Nirvana & Foo Fighters but I cant remember the name!

queens of the stone age or probot?
Quote by cliff_em_all
cof_median11 is a Child Rapist.

Quote by blink day 4 eva
Theres a mosquito that lives in my room and i let him bite me all the time and i let him live. It's our special deal. His name is "The Dude".

Quote by Babbs
cof_median11, you sick ****.
Page 1 of 3