Well i finally got my recording setup completed. So i decided to give the Valveking and a few new riffs I have been working on a go. The song is nothing special just a few riffs mangled together. So no flaming me on my playing ability. I know I suck lol. Just figured I would add a bit more content to the mix for all the people wondering what a Valveking can sound like.

Heres the link
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/IbanezPsycho/
The titles are Valveking Mix And Valveking Drop C Old Settings

And also heres what i was running...
Esp with emg 81 with 18v mod
Tubescreamer no gain added just level to tighten it up a bit.
BBE 882I just added a bit of clarity to the mix
Isp Decimator
Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b Cab

Feel free to let me know what you think about the tone, good or bad post up.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 27, 2008,
Hmm, what did you use to record, it sounded kinda muffled, but then again it may be my speakers.

Haha, and your playing is not as bad as mine.
Quote by jake911
Hmm, what did you use to record, it sounded kinda muffled, but then again it may be my speakers.

Haha, and your playing is not as bad as mine.

Best way to listen to it is with a good set of headphones. It sucks pretty bad on my computer speakers.

Used two mic's and a m-audio pre usb into my laptop. No eq'ing as well just straight from the mic's to the mp3. Also first time recording with a real setup, so it still has some bugs in it lol.
I heard the Drop C one and that sounded pretty good.

Even though I want to buy one, i have to remember that I want a carvin V3 lol.
Thanks

Yea those Carvin V3's are a nice amp man. I've decided im going to get a 5150 as soon as i can get my hands on one. Im still going to keep the valveking around and run both amps and just a/b them. Use the valveking for my cleans and light stuff and the 5150 for my high gain stuff.
Yeah, thats a good idea,

Hey, I noticed you have a Rg 560 what happened to it?
How long have you been playing...?
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Semi professional recording?

I'm personally not too keen on the tone, doesnt have that crunch you get from mid range, plus the gain isnt saturated enough to allow the pinch harmonics to ring out properly. With a good post production mixdown and master then you might be able to salvage something from that.
That sounded god-awful, sorry to say.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^+2
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by SQHero
How long have you been playing...?

About a year, self taught, only get to practice 2-3 times a week for about an hour. Sometimes wont even get to pick up the guitar for a week or two due to my schedule.

Quote by hmmm_de_hum

Semi professional recording?

I'm personally not too keen on the tone, doesn't have that crunch you get from mid range, plus the gain isn't saturated enough to allow the pinch harmonics to ring out properly. With a good post production mixdown and master then you might be able to salvage something from that.

Just threw that in there because it was done with real mic's not my laptop mic or camera mic. Nothing really professional about it except for that.

And agreed, i've always had the pinch harmonic issue with this amp and any setting. And probably not going to bother tweaking it, i will be getting 5150 sometime in the near future. Was just bored and figured id mess around with my mic setup.
Sorry man that didnt really sound that good.. its probably the recording though. It doesnt really have much definition (sort of muddy) and theres sort of a buzz it seems. Try using the noise filter in Audacity. I use that to take the background buzz away from my crappy mp3 mic and it works great. Doesnt effect the guitar tone at all.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Last edited by mike.h at Mar 27, 2008,
Quote by mike.h
Sorry man that didnt really sound that good.. its probably the recording though. It doesnt really have much definition (sort of muddy) and theres sort of a buzz it seems. Try using the noise filter in Audacity. I use that to take the background buzz away from my crappy mp3 mic and it works great. Doesnt effect the guitar tone at all.

I think its mainly my settings, for that recording i was trying something new instead of my regular settings. Because my personal setting is kind of dark.

And since i have had some people like the old settings i put up a new recording with my old settings. So check out the profile and yall let me know what yall think about that recording.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I think its mainly my settings, for that recording i was trying something new instead of my regular settings. Because my personal setting is kind of dark.

And since i have had some people like the old settings i put up a new recording with my old settings. So check out the profile and yall let me know what yall think about that recording.

Thats better, but its still a bit muddy. Boost those mids!
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

yea not that great. it could be just the way you set up your mic and input nd stuff. but yea boost those mids on the VK.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Sounds too fuzzy and scooped to me, also sounds like you're using too much gain which is making it sound sloppy. The whole sound of it sounds a little unnatural, I can't quite put my finger on it but when you let a note ring out it sounds almost synthy.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Dude you are either so freaking lucky, or loaded, or have a job...
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by jake911
Hey, I noticed you have a Rg 560 what happened to it?

Still putting it together, havent had much time to work on it. When i was fixing to finish it up i got the ESP and started on in and just finished it up a few days ago. I'm still missing 2 single coils for the 560 so once i get those ill be done. I have the EMG 81 sitting there waiting to go into and all the other parts. So soon...

Quote by mike.h
Thats better, but its still a bit muddy. Boost those mids!

On that one i scooped the mids on the first recording mids were at 12 oclock.

Quote by sg622
yea not that great. it could be just the way you set up your mic and input nd stuff. but yea boost those mids on the VK.

The mic's are recording it pretty much exactly the way it sounds

Quote by timi_hendrix
Sounds too fuzzy and scooped to me, also sounds like you're using too much gain which is making it sound sloppy. The whole sound of it sounds a little unnatural, I can't quite put my finger on it but when you let a note ring out it sounds almost synthy.

The gain was set to 7 which is a bit high i usually record at 5 but it kills some of the fullness. Its almost like theres no middle ground between 5 and 7. Setting it to 5 cuts stuff short really bad and 7 is a bit muddy but fuller. Yea i noticed the synthy sound too and i kind of play on that a bit with that particular note. Its almost like a bit of compression mixed with some other stuff.

Quote by SQHero
Dude you are either so freaking lucky, or loaded, or have a job.

Im 28 and I've been working since i was 16. Some stuff was luck though the cab was a trade for some car performance parts i had laying around. Still was costly though 900 worth of car parts for a 1000 cab. And im far from loaded, if i was loaded i would have my 5150 by now lol. But on the other hand I am comfortable, just purchased a new car for the wife and purchased a brand new house a few months ago. <--- Main reason i had to get the Valveking instead of the 5150/6505 lol. But i cant complain...

And thanks for everyones help, trying to get a good tone out of this thing has been driving me crazy. Its a quirky devil...
Quote by IbanezPsycho

And thanks for everyones help, trying to get a good tone out of this thing has been driving me crazy. Its a quirky devil...

It really only took me like 3/4 minutes to EQ mine nicely. I change it alot though. Mostly due to the fact I change where I sit in the room.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
It really only took me like 3/4 minutes to EQ mine nicely. I change it alot though. Mostly due to the fact I change where I sit in the room.

I'm Fighting with the speakers a bit on mine. The cab is X'ed with Celestion G12t-75's and Lead 80's. The guy who had it before me was a lead player and im a rhythm player. So the speakers want to voice exactly how the amp sounds and trys to squeeze out thoose lead sounds even though im doing rhythm. And it loose's a bit of lowend due to that as well. And also volume is set to 1-1.5 so its not at fully saturated yet. Cant turn it up because of the hours i work. I need to get ahold of some 30's i had a lead on 2 but the deal feel through.