I bought myself an electric guitar, Ibanez RG321, last summer and I've enjoyed it a lot. This is also my first guitar. As the title says I'm wondering if I should buy some better strings. I've read about people saying that you should always buy new strings when you buy a new guitar. When I bought the guitar I didn't care about that and just played on. What I want to know now is, if i buy some really "good"(?) strings and replaces them with the original ones. Will I notice a difference in a positive way? Both in how they feel and how they sound?

Another thing i recently noticed is that when I play the thick E string, the vibrations sometimes makes this noise like it hits metal. It doesn't really make it sound different, It just feels strange. Is this a problem, or is it common?

And as a last question. Is it difficult to change strings? Can I do it myself or do I need to let my local music do it for me? If I can do it myself, do I need any particular tools?

I would appreciate some answers and I'd also like some examples on good strings that I possibly could buy, as I have no idea of what strings are known as good or bad.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by xaedon at Mar 27, 2008,
lol you've never changed strings? if you buy new strings now you definitely will notice a big difference if they have not been changed in almost a year. usually, at a minimum, strings should be changed AT LEAST every six months
Guitars
Godin Velocity w/ Schaller locking tuners
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzio Crunchlab & Liquifire
Seagull Coastline S6 Burst GT QI
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by stevo_92
lol you've never changed strings? if you buy new strings now you definitely will notice a big difference if they have not been changed in almost a year. usually, at a minimum, strings should be changed AT LEAST every six months

What he said, you will notice a huge difference considering yours are so old. Try Ernie Ball strings, they have a very good reputation. I also quitel ike Dunlop strings, don't know what kind of reputation they have though. As for tools you'd need, wire cutters is all you'd really need. Unless you want to pull a Tom Morrello.
Ok, thanks for the answers I will buy some strings then. Now just tell me what to buy.
Quote by xaedon
Ok, thanks for the answer. Could you give some examples on what kind of strings I should look at? Brand etc.

As I said Ernie Ball have a very good reputation, there are also Dunlop, Di Addario, Dean Markley, or you might like GHS Boomers, that is all I can think of off the top of my head. In the end it's all opinion on what's best, so you should just try as many as you can. But I would say Ernie Ball is your best bet as they are favourites for many guitarists, including me.
I changew string every 2-3 weeks, You can buy the eighty dollar ones and you can buy the ones that glow in the dark or you can buy the flavored ones, It don't really matter. Just figure out what weight you like, light-heavy etc. and stick with that, change 'em if they get brown **** on 'em or if you've got a gig, or if your like me and like havin nice new strings.

You don't need any special tools, you can definently do it your self. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to change my first ever set of strings, takes me around 30mins now. Its nice and easy.

brand wise, I usually buy a 3 pack of light phosphor bronze D'addario's.

hope i helped
yeah, you need to change your strings when they look brownish and they start to sound dull. Good strings for your guitar would be either dunlop strings or ernie ball slinky power strings.
Ok, thanks for all the answers. If I got it right, the choice is up to me what strings to buy. I'll just visit my local music store and see they have to offer.

edit: Btw, since I'm kind of a sound freak. Will my sound improve anything by changing the original guitar cable (looks like it's made of iron) to a cable made of gold/platina? As you can see Im looking for things to upgrade my sound without using too much money (Will buy new pick-ups later).

Thanks again
Last edited by xaedon at Mar 27, 2008,
When you change your strings for the first time, have someone show it to you. It's really easy, but there are some little tricks to remember. Otherwise, try to unstring and restring using an old string before using your new ones.

As for changing the cable, I wouldn't do it. The difference will be hardly noticable, unless it's a very long cable or if you need to record in a studio. My idea is that the connectors are more important than the material of the cable anyway.

Your sound performance comes from your pickups, your amp, the strings and the general quality of your guitar. (In that order in my humble opinion. Flame me if i'm wrong).
Quote by xaedon
edit: Btw, since I'm kind of a sound freak. Will my sound improve anything by changing the original guitar cable (looks like it's made of iron) to a cable made of gold/platina? As you can see Im looking for things to upgrade my sound without using too much money (Will buy new pick-ups later).

If you're going to be a successful tone freak then you need to know something:

90% of your tone comes from your amp, without a good amp you will never, in a million years, notice the relatively small changes that come from things like pickups; save your money, don't buy a new cable or new pickups until you've got a good amp with a basic tone that you really like and then tweak it with pickups and pedals etc...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yes, you need new strings. I usually change my strings once a month because your guitar sounds a lot better with fresh strings and the strings feel a lot better then old strings. I would recommened Ernie Ball strings, they are favored by a lot of famous guitarists. While you are at your local gutiar shop buying strings, I would see if they would show you how to change them so you know what to do the next time that you need to change them.