Ok, so I really don't listen to much if any metal although I enjoy it, I mostly listen to classic rock, blues, some hard rock, plus a bunch of folk and country.

BUT I have decided to broaden my musical tastes and listen to some metal, I also want to play some.

So I have heard alot about Children of bodom, what are some good songs by them I can listen to?
And give me some other good metal bands to listen to and some good songs by them maybe.

Thanks fellas
HI
Dude, If your coming from blues, start with bands like Down, COC, Crowbar, Eyehategod, and the like.

Trust me, I have a John Lee Hooker avatar.
Quote by imgooley
Dude, If your coming from blues, start with bands like Down, COC, Crowbar, Eyehategod, and the like.

Trust me, I have a John Lee Hooker avatar.

Trust him, he has a John Lee Hooker avatar.
Ok I should probably add I do listen to Sabbath Judas Priest Maiden Metallica Megadeth and Pantera but thats about it
HI
Quote by Magero
Trust him, he has a John Lee Hooker avatar.

sigged
You need some Stoner, my good man.

Black Sabbath
Spiritual Beggars
Down
Orange Goblin
High on Fire
Kyuss
Goatsnake
Cathedral
Bongzilla

Some other good stuff:

Motorhead
Devin Townsend (if it has his name on it, it's probably awesome, so listen to it)
Nevermore
Overkill
Pantera
Voivod
Gojira
unexpecT (I'm not really expecting you to like these guys, but just so you see the outer regions of this genre)

Have fun
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by dead-fish
You need some Stoner, my good man.

Black Sabbath
Spiritual Beggars
Down
Orange Goblin
High on Fire
Kyuss
Goatsnake
Cathedral
Bongzilla

Some other good stuff:

Motorhead
Devin Townsend (if it has his name on it, it's so awesome your face will explode, so listen to it)
Nevermore
Overkill
Pantera
Voivod
Gojira
unexpecT (I'm not really expecting you to like these guys, but just so you see the outer regions of this genre)

Have fun

Fixed
With the exception of Ziltoid. It only had a couple of good songs

Hyperdrive makes up for all of them, though. First time I heard that song, I was like SO BEAUTIFUL!!! I MUST LAMINATE IT!!!
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
To answer ur question, good children of bodom songs are In Your Face, Next In Line, Are You Dead Yet? and Bastards of Bodom
Quote by Kensai
You're a sick uncompassionate tool who puts the deaths of animals with subaverage cognitive functions above your own kind.

You're perfect for PETA. Just set fire to a house and you're in.
Quote by Ibby
Metallica, Megadeth, Down.

Fixed.

+1 to the dude who said stoner metal. Also look into some doom/sludge.

If you like songs like No Quarter and Achilles Last Stand, check out The Sword.
Bearing in mind that the guy also did City, Ocean Machine and Synchestra...

Ziltoid is pretty bad for Devy. Of course pretty bad is still also good in wider terms, since it's Devy, and it has the aformentioned Hyperdrive, WHICH IS BEYOND BEAUTY ITSELF!!!!!!!
Quote by dead-fish
Ziltoid is pretty bad for Devy. Of course pretty bad is still also good in wider terms, since it's Devy, and it has the aformentioned Hyperdrive, WHICH IS BEYOND BEAUTY ITSELF!!!!!!!

I think he got a little wrapped up in his own vision, but it's still a damn good album AND HAS MORE THAN A FEW GOOD SONGS DAMN YOU!!!
He's always wrapped up in his vision. I actually like Ziltoid's concept, I think it's funny, the songs just weren't very good. Apart from Hyperdrive, Ziltoidia Attaxx!!! and By Your Command, I can't recall a single song that I liked.

Oh, and the dialogue between Ziltoid and the Omnidimensional Creator is also funny.
The only reason I remember The Greys is because he screams at the end the whole "YOU ARE A PUPPET! I AM A PUPPET!!!" thing. Solar Winds is ok, but pales in comparison to what comes before it and after it.
Quote by chimera2510
To answer ur question, good children of bodom songs are In Your Face, Next In Line, Are You Dead Yet? and Bastards of Bodom

but that's only off are you dead yet, which a lot of people consider to be their weakest album.

for a good start to all their albums, check out lake bodom, downfall, hate me! and everytime i die, needled 24/7 and sixpounder, trashed lost and strungout, and tie my rope.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
You enjoy folk ey'?

Agalloch.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Opeth. sad no one has mentioned them yet. it'll take some time getting used to the death grunts most likely but its better to develop it now than cloud ur mind with prejudice.

also, try out Overkill and Sepultura if you're into Metallica and Megadeth. their early albums are thrash, but after Horrorscope & Chaos A.D. (respectively) they shift over to more groove metal.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Quote by StratPat
Ok, so I really don't listen to much if any metal although I enjoy it, I mostly listen to classic rock, blues, some hard rock, plus a bunch of folk and country.

BUT I have decided to broaden my musical tastes and listen to some metal, I also want to play some.

So I have heard alot about Children of bodom, what are some good songs by them I can listen to?
And give me some other good metal bands to listen to and some good songs by them maybe.

Thanks fellas

If you love Blues, then you would probably love Opeth. Other bands you might like listening to would have to be Dream Theater, Iced Earth, and Meshuggah if you'd like to really broaden your style of playing.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Don't jump into something too heavy to start off with. Most extreme metal is an acquired taste, and needs time to grow on you.

Start off with some of the more classic metal bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, and then branch off from there.
Listen to soft Opeth stuff. A recommended song would be "To Bid You farewell" or "Face of Melinda" they both have complex acoustic patterns and some heavy riffing at the ends. Also, they both only include clean vocals
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
You guys are taking it way too easy on this here fella...
Mercyful Fate-"Don't Break The Oath"
Overkill-"Immortalis"
Necrophagist-"Epitaph"
there's a good cross section of old, new and ballbreaking for ya....Your Welcome!!!!
Quote by Ibby
Metallica, Megadeth, System Of A Down.

This guy posted at 5 and is banned!? Did he get banned for posting System of a Down?
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Agalloch Agalloch Agalloch.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
We have a Rec Thread, so post these there in the future.

Anwho, I second Opeth, although I'm not sure how well you'll be able to handle the growls if you've never really been exposed to them before.

If no one's recommended Candlemass yet (someone probably has), I recommend them.
A shortened version of an Agalloch song:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gYMaIzFq1Iw

A mellow Opeth song:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wxaFANthouM

And a live, heavier Opeth song:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpH3qhP_UE

I just chose a few from actual videos I quickly found on YouTube, I hope you enjoy
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.