Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I recently bought a mesa boogie recto cabinet for my 6505 and when I tried it it sounded great. Last night when I turned it on for the first time at rehearsal, well.. it sounded like CRAP. What the ****? It sounded "honky" and not the kind of sound I had when I tried it before at all. What's wrong with it?

I suspect one of these:
1.) One of the speakers in the cabinet is dead
2.) Tubes are dead, or about to die. Maybe the pre-amp tube?
3.) Mesa cabinet I bought is **** (Sounded perfect when I tried it...)

I am not that familiar with my 6505 yet as it's my first tube amp and I only got it a week ago.

What do you guys think and WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Maybe I should add that I bought both the 6505 and the mesa recently. And I bought them both used.
Last edited by Rocu at Mar 27, 2008,
Mesa cabs are not really a good match for the 6505/5150. Get a Peavey cab or Marshall 1960A or B.
Try EQing it differently. What are your current settings? Have you messed with them at all?

Also, when you go from bedroom levels to gig/practice levels, your EQ structure changes. It's called the Fletcher Munson effect. Bass and treble get more pronounced than the midrange, so you need to make up for that. Just turn it up and tweak for a few minutes and see what happens.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

I tried to play around with the EQ for like an hour. I got the least honk when I put the Bass on 1-2 and mid on 4-5 treble around 6

Retarded settings but that's what sounded best. But still far from good...
Oh yea, if it's any help I turned the volume down to real low and I could still hear the honk...

Edit: Before I started playing around with the EQ yesterday I had these settings
Pre 6.5
low 5
mid 7
high 7
post gain 2
resonance 4 presence 3.

Sounded honky like **** at rehearsal
Last edited by Rocu at Mar 27, 2008,
Quote by Ventor
Mesa cabs are not really a good match for the 6505/5150. Get a Peavey cab or Marshall 1960A or B.

So you think it's just because of a bad match?
a bad match cant sound that crap. maybe its time to change the tubes. check the speakers as well.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Rocu
So you think it's just because of a bad match?

Well the other cabs I mentioned work better with the 6505. I can't say for sure since I haven't heard how it sounds. Maybe you know someone with a different cab so you can try?
Yea I'll go and try it now with a different cab. Should I just listen if it sounds crap aswell? :P Stupid question perhaps but how do I check the speakers? :O
Quote by Rocu
Yea I'll go and try it now with a different cab. Should I just listen if it sounds crap aswell? :P Stupid question perhaps but how do I check the speakers? :O

You can only check the speakers by listening of course.
If you think it sounds better on another cab, get another cab

You can also try to get your hands on a BBE Sonic Maximizer 422 (or 422A) and put it in the FX loop. It will bring the 6505 to life
SO it sounded fine with the mesa cab but the next day it sounded "honkey"? If so thats very weird. Maby one of your tubes is crappin out on ya. Hope you figure it out .
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
Ok here's the deal.
Hooked the 6505 to a Marshall cab, sounded great.
Hooked my friends Valveking to my Mesa, sounded great.
Hooked my 6505 to my Mesa, sounded crap.

Hooray. I'm ****ing gutted...
So new top or new cabinet, YEA JUST WHAT I NEED. Gonna sell my stuff and be a professional wanker instead..................... Any advice is welcome. Took everything home gonna sit and try around, but it sounded great with any settings on the marshall basicly so.... And the Valveking sounded good through my mesa, I am so ****ing pissed off right now.

Thanks for the help guys.
Quote by _DeX_
SO it sounded fine with the mesa cab but the next day it sounded "honkey"? If so thats very weird. Maby one of your tubes is crappin out on ya. Hope you figure it out .

I've only tried it with the mesa at home before (VERY LOW VOLUMES). I never tried the cab+head together at high volumes, I tried them seperately when I bought them too and had no chance of trying them together. So looks like they don't like eachother........
A 6505 with a mesa cab can't sound crap. The mesa cabs are great. Check the valves
Its got V30's doesn't it?
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
v30s naturally have a honky middy tone, especially when not broken in, which might get accentuated by the other parts of your rig
Quote by Op3a
A 6505 with a mesa cab can't sound crap. The mesa cabs are great. Check the valves

Obviusly it can, sounds ****, almost like death metal xD
Sorry, check the valves? What do you mean, I feel like a ****ing amateur.
Thanks all for the advice you're giving.

1337void: It sounded good with a Valve King Not honky at all. So I don't know, I am going crazy here. As it is now I'll have to sell one of the two, probably the cab...

And yea, the mesa has v30's in it
EDIT! ****!

What is the ohms rating on the Mesa cab vs the Marshall cab? Are they different? I can't believe nobody thought of this, that could be the problem.
don't know about the marshall cab, but it's 8 ohms on the Mesa cab, and the 6505 is set on 8 ohm with the switch on the back.
Quote by Rocu
don't know about the marshall cab, but it's 8 ohms on the Mesa cab, and the 6505 is set on 8 ohm with the switch on the back.

Damn, that was the first thing that came to mind. Was the speaker cable the same cable you used when you hooked up to the Marshall? Speaker cables could also be messed up.

If so, then I'd see if you could straight up trade the Mesa for the Marshall, otherwise just sell it and get a new cab man.
It wasn't the same cable but I went and bought a new cable because I thought it might be that, sounded the same as with the old. I am not trading my mesa for a marshall, the marshall cab is like half the price of a mesa cab here :P I'll just sell it if I can't get it to sound good.

Any suggestions? Except for the Marshall
Do you play mostly metal? I'm assuming because of the 6505. What sorta budget are you on?
Quote by rwalby9
Do you play mostly metal? I'm assuming because of the 6505. What sorta budget are you on?

Yea, I play mostly metal, thrash metal.
I used up my budget on the 6505/Mesa Cab :P
I live in Sweden so those 2 are really expensive here fyi...
Why, what did you have in mind? :P
Quote by Rocu
Yea, I play mostly metal, thrash metal.
I used up my budget on the 6505/Mesa Cab :P
I live in Sweden so those 2 are really expensive here fyi...
Why, what did you have in mind? :P

Well if you could get a decent amount for that Mesa cab, I'd recommend a Marshall 1960A for where you're located.

If you could order from the USA, I'd get a Vader or a Basson.
I wanted to get a vader cab and sent them a email before. The shipping alone was 500 bucks tho, plus taxes and customs \o/

I'll get a Marshall and sell my Mesa then if I can't get it to sound decent.. Thanks for the advice
Just go to a guitar shop with your head, tell them you need a cab for it and try as many as you can. Then pick the one that sounds best
I played a 6505 in musicstore Köln on a 2 marshall cabs, one loaded with V30's and one with G12T75's, and the last one sounded better by a long shot.
Thanks for your advice Ventor. I'll do that. It sounded great through my friends Marshall (think it's a 1960A) so if I can just get that sound I'm 100% happy. At the moment Mesa Boogie is pretty low on my "Good stuff" list.

I've played around with the cab and head for a few hours now, clean sounds good (well, as good as a 6505 can sound clean which is still terrible ) but with distortion on - poop. Soloing sounds great, but once you even touch the low E string it sounds something like this "BFOOM" Palm muted stuff sounds terrible. The Valve King sounded nothing like that with the cab so I can only assume it's a terrible match... Which still doesn't make any sense but hey, what does.
Mesa cabs work well with some amps (Mesa springs to mind ) but are not optimal for others. That doesn't mean they're crap
If you can find an original Peavey 5150 cab, those are made specifically for the 5150 and many people think they sounds best with a 5150. They tighten the sound a lot.
Hehe yea you're right, but wow does it sound terrible. Never buying v30's again.
Have you tried the 6505 cab Ventor? If so how did it sound. Gonna see if I can go and try them out, unfortunately for me I don't live close to Musicstore (I buy alot of things from there over the internet btw, great prices and service!) so we'll see what I can find.
Quote by Rocu
Hehe yea you're right, but wow does it sound terrible. Never buying v30's again.
Have you tried the 6505 cab Ventor? If so how did it sound. Gonna see if I can go and try them out, unfortunately for me I don't live close to Musicstore (I buy alot of things from there over the internet btw, great prices and service!) so we'll see what I can find.

Nope I didn't but it's supposed to be the same one as the 5150.
Quote by 1337void
v30s naturally have a honky middy tone, especially when not broken in, which might get accentuated by the other parts of your rig

Hmm, you might be on to something here. I bought my Mesa cab used but the dude that sold em to me had only had it for a month and basicly never played on it.

Oh well, gonna sell it anyway. I agree with Ventor when he says the 6505 sounds better with G12T75's than v30's, alot better.

Cheers guys
Did you see about Avatar cabs?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Dude, define "honky".
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
My friend thinks I should keep it, but if not he wants to buy it so we'll see what happens. I think I'll take it to the rehearsal studio again and try. It sounds better at home.

By honky I mean the Lows are really thin, not that thick tone in it.
I'll keep it a few weeks and play, we'll see what happens. I'll let u guys know
Last edited by Rocu at Mar 28, 2008,
It may sound thin because you have your presence/resonance really low?
I have a Marshall 1960AV cabinet (Marshall 1960A cabinet with V30's in it) and it sounds great.
Is it a Mesa Traditional or Recto cabinet?

Try out this, it's what I use:
Lead Channel:
Pre: 6.5
Lows: Around 6
Mids: 7.5
Highs: 4
Volume: Wherever
Resonance: 8
Presence: 6

Sounds great with all my guitars, apart from my Ibanez in Drop C where I have to lower the bass/resonance a little.

Try defining "honky".
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
my guess would be the change in the room i assume you move the smp to a rehersal space an amp will sound verry diffrent every place you play butt maybe something was damaged in movement of as you said something died let us know what it ended up being
Quote by Rocu

Hey, I think I know why it sounds honky. V30 speakers have a midrange spike in them, which boosts the midrange. 6505 Heads also have this spike. The reason it sounds so "honky" and terrible is because you have TOO MUCH mids. Have you tried scooping them a bit?

Flame away everybody, but a smiley face EQ isn't always bad.

P.S Mesa heads have a midrange dip so they are naturally scooped. The V30 compliments this, so that's probably why they're in a Mesa Cab.
Quote by Yngwi3
It may sound thin because you have your presence/resonance really low?
I have a Marshall 1960AV cabinet (Marshall 1960A cabinet with V30's in it) and it sounds great.
Is it a Mesa Traditional or Recto cabinet?

It's a recto, and it did sound alot better with those settings, but still not the sound I want. Very tight bottom end, I am probably not a v30 guy then I guess.

Cheers
Page 1 of 2