Alright.. my new amp is loud. Long story short.. I knew it would be loud but not this loud (I live in a **** town where I cant try products out myself). The amp sounds great, but there's no way I could push it in the clubs I play at.

My question is, should I look at getting myself a Marshall Powerbreak? My old bandmember used one of those THD Hotplates, I dont know if it was just him.. but it made everything sound pretty bad. (for lack of a better term)

Anyone here used one? How is it?
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
The Powerbrake is VERY bad IMO. Way too muddy. If you didn' like the Hot Plate, well then the Powerbrake is even worse.

The Weber attenuators are very good and won't rob that much tone from your amp, depending on how much you attenuate though!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I'm very new to (owning) tube amps, so I dont really want to go pulling anything out at the moment.

Does pulling tubes out effectively lower the wattage, so to speak?
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Quote by papersun87
^ Oh, really? Thanks, I didn't know that.

*doesn't actually OWN a tube amp*

Yeah if the amp has 4 power tubes then it might be able to have tubes pulled. You have to either pull the outside two or the inside two. NOT two on the same side.
Exactly. You will also have to halve the ohmage, like if you pull two tubes and have the amp connected to an 8 ohm speaker, it needs to be set at a 4 ohm tap, otherwise you can blow the amp.

Only pull the tubes if you know EXACTLY what you are doing.

Also keep in mind that it won't affect the volume that much, it will only be about 3 dB difference, which is the smallest audible difference to the human ear. I would get an attenuator instead. The 50W Mini Mass from Weber would be a good fit.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I use a Power Brake with my 100W Plexi re-issue. It sounds great and works well.

If I were you, I would contact Marshall and inquire if the Power Brake will be compatible with your amp then go to the store with your amp and try it out.

I think you'll be happy that you did.
Trav
pulling tubes is a bad idea in this case. If you want to the tubes, then pulling 2 out is rather pointless. The volume difference will probably go unnoticed, and you STILL won't be able to turn your amp up enough to push the tubes.

The only solution for what your after is an attenuator. The reason your friends probably sounded like **** is because a lot of people forget that the more you attenuate the signal, the bigger change in your tone, generally for the worse

Instead of turning your amp up all the way, then attenuate down as far as neccessary, why not try and meet the amp halfway? Rather than turn your amp up all the way, why not put it on 6 or 7, and attenuate less? That way you can find a perfect balance between volume reduction and tone loss.

Also, what amp do you have? If you have say, a 5150/6505, recto or similar high gain amp, then an attenuator probably not have the effect your after. Just as if you have a solid state amp (yes, ive seen DOZENS of people using them on SS amps) its rather pointless as well.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by Cofflecakes
pulling tubes is a bad idea in this case.

Concur. Leave the amp the way it was designed.
Trav
webber ftw
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2