Page 1 of 2
...and I hate them. They're awful.

Why did I get them, I hear you ask? Well, the store was clean out of my regular strings (D'Add's 'Light Top/Heavy Bottom'), and the only other set that came close to the same gauges were the Ernie Ball's (also 'Light Top/Heavy Bottom')... I figured, I should really give them a try anyway, why not now? I bought them and went home.

Well... they're the same gauge alright, but that's where the similarity ends. When I was putting them on, I was still hoping they weren't too bad, but when I started to tune them up was when the problems started.
I stretched them, the same way I normally do, tuned them, did a few outrageous bends, tuned them again, etc. However, after fifteen minutes of stretching, they still wouldn't hold tune.

I checked all of my settings (truss rod, action, I even gave the machine heads a thorough inspection), but everything was in order. Then I went on to adjust the intonation and... oh boy.

Now, I don't know in which order the problems occur (either the strings won't stay in tune because my intonation is far out, or I can't properly set up my intonation because the strings won't stay in tune), but they do, and there seems to be nothing I can do about it, right now.

Now, so this isn't just a mindless rant/spam, are there actually people who prefere these EB's over D'Addario's? And why?
Also, any regular D'Add users who switched to EB, and had these problems as well?

Oh, before you ask, buying different sets by D'Addario to match all the gauges wasn't an option, for multiple reasons.

Edit: I forgot, they sound bad too...

Edit Two: Just so we're all clear, this thread is not to poop on the EB's persay, it is to discuss the differences between the two (or more) string manafacturers.
Last edited by Y00p at Mar 27, 2008,
the same thing would happen if you used EBs for years and went to D'add, your guitar was used to them thats all, the first time i switched to elixers it ****ed my tuning well up
Yer, EB aren't as great as D's or Rotosounds but for the price you get what you pay for.

Oh and the guy above me is right.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
i've never had a problem with strings like that, mine's a hardtail though

i've used d'addario and ernie balls and some cheapo nasty ones when i was desprate
Quote by Y00p
...and I hate them. They're awful.

Why did I get them, I hear you ask? Well, the store was clean out of my regular strings (D'Add's 'Light Top/Heavy Bottom'), and the only other set that came close to the same gauges were the Ernie Ball's (also 'Light Top/Heavy Bottom')... I figured, I should really give them a try anyway, why not now? I bought them and went home.

Well... they're the same gauge alright, but that's where the similarity ends. When I was putting them on, I was still hoping they weren't too bad, but when I started to tune them up was when the problems started.
I stretched them, the same way I normally do, tuned them, did a few outrageous bends, tuned them again, etc. However, after fifteen minutes of stretching, they still wouldn't hold tune.

I checked all of my settings (truss rod, action, I even gave the machine heads a thorough inspection), but everything was in order. Then I went on to adjust the intonation and... oh boy.

Now, I don't know in which order the problems occur (either the strings won't stay in tune because my intonation is far out, or I can't properly set up my intonation because the strings won't stay in tune), but they do, and there seems to be nothing I can do about it, right now.

Now, so this isn't just a mindless rant/spam, are there actually people who prefere these EB's over D'Addario's? And why?
Also, any regular D'Add users who switched to EB, and had these problems as well?

Oh, before you ask, buying different sets by D'Addario to match all the gauges wasn't an option, for multiple reasons.

Edit: I forgot, they sound bad too...

I was in your same position however I got a cool shop and I didn't have to worry about using them.

What happen when he installed in the new pups in my guitar he said he wouldn't put my ernie balls on and used a ghs set instead which was a gauge of 10-48's. I didn't have to pay for the new strings or the string exchange because he did that part for free since I'd been a long time customer.

And they ROCK

They feel a little fragil for how I play though.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
I've used some Eb. They were okay.

I usually use Dean Markley pure nickel on my strat, and D'add heavy bottom light top on my PRS.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I never seem to have any problems with my EB's for the money there not bad.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
the same thing would happen if you used EBs for years and went to D'add, your guitar was used to them thats all, the first time i switched to elixers it ****ed my tuning well up

Hmm, I figured that could cause the problem, but it's been two nights and one and a half day. Shouldn't that be enough for the wood to cure?

i've never had a problem with strings like that, mine's a hardtail though

So's mine.
it's probably just that your guitar is used to the d'addario's. i know that that same set of EB's does fine with my guitar. they stay in tune and will suffice until i switch over to cleartones.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
I can't stand Ernie Balls. They feel so slick, like there's grease on them. I can't dig in and palm mute. They just feel awful. And where I live, D'Addario is cheaper then Ernie Ball, so that's all I use.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
chances are the EB's and the D's are the same exact strings.

stop being such a queen.
the only thing i hate about EB's is that they rust like nothing else... they're good for like 2-3 weeks and after that you can just forget about it... i switched to d'adds because they sound better and play better.
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

Quote by dpv
chances are the EB's and the D's are the same exact strings.

stop being such a queen.

If they are, then why does my guitar not like them as much as 'the same exact' set of strings that came off? Why do other peope prefer D's over EB's? Or the other way around?

Kindly go and f*** yourself.
I use ernie balls all the time simply because thats what i'm used to. And because i like the way they sound, they are very bright, just the way i like it, and they seem to improve the sustain. I don't often replace them unless i'm using the guitar for recording or a gig, so that i can get the most out of them. they aren't long lasting strings, so often mine are just dead on the guitar for ages.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Y00p
Kindly go and f*** yourself.

please refer to my quote.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
I don't have a problem with Ernie Ball strings.
Use them all the time. Work fine for me.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I once put Ernie Balls on my strat and they totally killed the tone, the classic Fender 'chime' was just gone.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
no no no
dont you guys see?

ernies balls have aids!
d'adds dont!

thats why the guitars acting funny
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
Quote by fosho
no no no
dont you guys see?

ernies balls have aids!
d'adds dont!

thats why the guitars acting funny

Haha, well that must be it then...

Ernie's Balls.....
I tried the Super Slinkys for a little while, but I prefer the D'Addario Super Lights, even if they might get dead a little fast. But when they're new, they sound great on my strat.
yeah aside from the aids

I use all d'adds except on my steel string acoustic (John Pearse FTW!)
actually if I could find those damn John Pearse electric strings id put em on my strat and replace the d'adds heavy jazz (12s)

my semi-hollow will forever have d'add Chromes, amazing tone they have

is there a D'addario club on UG?
if not i propose TS starts one!
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
Quote by dr_john
I once put Ernie Balls on my strat and they totally killed the tone, the classic Fender 'chime' was just gone.

wtf, has the entire forum jumped on the "Ernie balls suck" bandwagon or something? so now these extremely bright, chimey strings apparently kill tone and have aids (according to fosho)? honestly... wtf, everyone?

I found that Ernie Ball super slinky strings on my fender MIM strat enhanced the distinctive twangy fender-ness a lot more than that time i tried fender bullet strings just like the little sticker on the back told me to...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Y00p
So I decided to use Ernie Ball strings...
I'm sorry
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I've always preferred EB strings over any other brand. You can leave them on for longer and they'll still keep their bite, every other brand I've tried loses tone quicker and needs replacing more often.

And, I've never had a single tuning/intonation/general set up problem with EB strings either, from my £60 Epi LP Junior with sucky stock tuners and nut right up to my multiple-thousands Gibson and ESPs. EB's have always been fine for me, never had any problems.
@Blompcube: Yeah, it's a friggin' travesty. UG is all about bandwagons, apparently.

Funny, I can't play D'Addarios. They're probably great and all, but they're nothing special to me. Ernie Balls are my preferred brand, trumping out all others I've tried, with Rotosound being the absolute worst (not only in feel- the only string I ever snapped was a Rotosound .010).

Feel, sound, anything, I love my EB Regular Slinkies. Everything else I've tried is just... meh (except for Rotosound Yellows, which I can't make peace with).

EBs seem way less prone to corrosion, and the tone stays good for a loong time. I can generally tolerate to keep them on twice as long as I could with D'Adds, which, in collaboration with their low-low price, makes them a wise investment for me.

Quote by Zero_Mike
I can't stand Ernie Balls. They feel so slick, like there's grease on them. I can't dig in and palm mute. They just feel awful. And where I live, D'Addario is cheaper then Ernie Ball, so that's all I use.

Then you're, objectively, a horrible and/or completely fickle guitarist, mr. Princess and the Pea. Not liking them is fair enough, but your perceived issue is completely childish, especially since the different feel of various strings to the picking hand is minscule.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Mar 27, 2008,
My EB Super Slinkies are great. And sound a LOT better than the Fender Bullets...

Never tried D'Addario though.
Quote by Pikka Bird
...your perceived issue is completely childish, especially since the different feel of various strings to the picking hand is minscule.
Tell me you can't feel a difference in string gauge with your picking hand. The type of string and feel of the string on your picking hand definitely matters.

Regardless, strings are all about preference. I'm exceptionally particular about everything on my guitar because I [unfortunately] hear and feel even the most minute changes. Nearly 10 years of trying different brands and gauges and I think I'm finally done experimenting.

EBs never did it for me. Bendy as hell which I loved, but in terms of sound, feel, and quality, I've never liked them.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by Blompcube
wtf, has the entire forum jumped on the "Ernie balls suck" bandwagon or something? so now these extremely bright, chimey strings apparently kill tone and have aids (according to fosho)? honestly... wtf, everyone?

I found that Ernie Ball super slinky strings on my fender MIM strat enhanced the distinctive twangy fender-ness a lot more than that time i tried fender bullet strings just like the little sticker on the back told me to...

+1

Ernie Balls rock.
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
Yes, i have noticed that eb's take longer to strech, but they have (about) the same lifespan as d's. Right now i'm definitely liking these dean markley's that i got free at GC a month or so ago though.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I feel your pain - I've got EBs on my guitar because the shop was out of d'Addarios...gotta get some new strings as soon as
Quote by jm1681
Tell me you can't feel a difference in string gauge with your picking hand. The type of string and feel of the string on your picking hand definitely matters.

Of course I can feel the difference in gauge, but he's talking brands. And yeah, you can sorta feel a tiny difference, but to say you can't actually palm mute on a different brand of strings is just completely insane, especially considering that the meat of your palm is one of the least sensitive parts of your hand (seriously, try poking pinching different areas on your hand- you can pinch much harder here before feeling actual pain then you can with your fingertips or the center of the palm).

And by "digging in", I'm guessing he means "getting the pick pretty well and good under the string", and to say that you can actually feel a difference in something you are only touching via a piece of plastic is equally ludicrous.

Now, if he said the smoothness of the string was messing with his bends or that he couldn't get used to fretting them or sliding, or whatever, that'd have been way more valid. Those other problems the guy claims to have are comparable to, as I said, the Princess and the Pea.
+1 to Blompcube

I just got EB's last week, I really like they're slipperyness, and they're cheap.
Yea I know the tone won't be as good as expensive strings but I'm...cheap...soo
Gear:
Godin Freeway Classic
Ibanez Concord Acoustic
Roland Cube 30x
Zoom G2
Quote by AllanM
+1 to Blompcube

I just got EB's last week, I really like they're slipperyness, and they're cheap.
Yea I know the tone won't be as good as expensive strings but I'm...cheap...soo

Hmm, I hear everyone saying they're cheap, but I payed the same as for my usual set... Is the price difference that huge, overthere?

And Blompcube/Pikka Bird, I am by no means trying to start a bandwagon. I just needed to vent my anger about these strings that just don't fit with me. No offence was meant to any EB user(s), if you like 'm, use 'm. I don't, so I won't.

^Preference is fair enough. However, I think you seemed quite hateful and somewhat irrational in that starting post.

Quote by lexaah
the only thing i hate about EB's is that they rust like nothing else... they're good for like 2-3 weeks and after that you can just forget about it... i switched to d'adds because they sound better and play better.

Mine never rust, or even go black... Do you wipe them down with salt water or something? I mean, with a Jeff Dunham quote under your nick n' all...
Quote by Y00p
Hmm, I hear everyone saying they're cheap, but I payed the same as for my usual set... Is the price difference that huge, overthere?

And Blompcube/Pikka Bird, I am by no means trying to start a bandwagon. I just needed to vent my anger about these strings that just don't fit with me. No offence was meant to any EB user(s), if you like 'm, use 'm. I don't, so I won't.

My Super Slinky 9`s were $8.75 and most other are all $15 and up.
Gear:
Godin Freeway Classic
Ibanez Concord Acoustic
Roland Cube 30x
Zoom G2
i used to use D's religiously, and i liked them a lot, but considering they are about $3 more than EB's around here, i switched to EB's just because over time that $3 saved could deffinately add up. yeah im a frugal S.O.B. but oh well

but the day i get a record deal im getting a lifetime supply of D's
NOPE
Quote by lexaah

thats why i switched to DR. holy crap. they last like 3 times as long as ernie ball. i could put on a set of ernie balls, stretch them, lay the guitar down for a couple hours, and when i came back there would be a little rust on it. screw that. DR strings stay shiny for a long time

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DR-Strings-TiteFit-Electric-Guitar-Strings-Heavy?sku=105246
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Page 1 of 2