Hi guys, iv been looking to forward to getting down and recording since i ordered my M-Audio fast track and headphones.
But its arrived, and the 'tutorials' that come with it offer little help, here a just a few of the questions im asking -

1. With the GT Express Software on my first try I somehow got the sound to go through both headphones, but now when i go on it the sound only comes through the right ear, any solution?

2. It came with Ableton Live Lite 4, It looks good, but the tutorials aren't very good, again, any tutorials anywhere?

3. I managed to get a good distortion earlier without any background noise, but again every try now i get extreme background noise, anybody got any good settings or alternatives?

4. My last question (for now ) I don't get how when you use the GT player express software to record to Ableton Live Lite, what i mean is like i don't get how you can get the virtual sound to record through it, as when i open Ableton up, and press record nothing happens

Sorry for the wall of text i just have no idea what to search for on Google
I have the Fast Track Pro, but I ditched Ableton. Either way I think you're up to version 7 on Ableton, so the first thing I would do is download the new version.

1. With the GT Express Software on my first try I somehow got the sound to go through both headphones, but now when i go on it the sound only comes through the right ear, any solution?

Make sure on the M-Audio control panel (in the system tray) that you don't have it set as a stereo. If it is set the input to mono source.

2. It came with Ableton Live Lite 4, It looks good, but the tutorials aren't very good, again, any tutorials anywhere?

I downloaded Cakewalk Music Creator 3 for $40 from the Cakewalk site. Much more intuitive than Ableton in my opinion. It has the same type interface and feel as Sonar, which I love.

3. I managed to get a good distortion earlier without any background noise, but again every try now i get extreme background noise, anybody got any good settings or alternatives?

You may want to look at your buffer settings and adjust until the noise clears up.

4. My last question (for now ) I don't get how when you use the GT player express software to record to Ableton Live Lite, what i mean is like i don't get how you can get the virtual sound to record through it, as when i open Ableton up, and press record nothing happens

You have to insert GT Player Express as a VST Plugin. After it's insert you'll need to either load the preset you saved (or one of the bundled presets) or tweak to get your sound again.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Thanks alot, but before i try all of that -
The Device isn't showing up in the system tray, it was earlier when i restarted my computer after installing, but now it isn't.
Any ideas?
Yeah, mine did the same thing. My antivirus/spyware blocked it from running on startup and reversed the registry entries made by the install. Just copy the shortcut to the M-Audio Tray App into Start Menu > All Programs > Startup and it will run automatically from now on. Or you can just run the tray app when you need it. Either way that has to be be running.

When you double click the Tray App icon it should say "connected".

Sometimes if I leave mine plugged in while rebooting or first turning on the computer it won't automatically detect it as connected, so I have to turn it off and then back on.

To resolve this, don't plugin or turn on the unit until your PC is fully booted and you're at your desktop (assuming you have to login like I do).

DS
Made up statistic
Last edited by Death-Speak at Mar 27, 2008,
So i GT Express as a plug-in but when i open it, it brings up the menu and everything for it, but i get no sound still, im confused

And in the M-audio control panel, on mine all it comes up with is Bit Depth, and Buffer Size (and then about the company) so nothing about stereo/mono

sorry about being such a noob i just really want to get started ]

edit: iv sorted the stereo problem, just The GT Express problem
Last edited by Guitar-God-Elf at Mar 27, 2008,
Hmmm, I haven't used GT Player Express in a while so I'm having trouble remembering. I'll install it again and try it (my hard recently failed so I still have some things to install on my laptop, that being on of them).

Also, you said in the OP that you had some noise issues as well. Did that get fixed? One thing you need to make sure is that your interface is NOT plugged into any USB hub. Plug directly into the PC either via the rear mounted USB ports that are directly on the motherboard or through a front mount usb port.
Made up statistic
I think iv sorted the noise issue, i had the bit rate set to high so i changed it from 24-bit to 16-bit, and also a little tweaking with the Equalizer helped (with a little loss of tone).

The thing now is actually getting it recorded, i downloaded audacity and reaper, downloaded the Audacity vst enabling plugin pack and put my Gt player express vst in the folder, and i get loads of the crappy vst's that come with it, but my GT player ones dont turn up :S

The thing i liked about audacity though is the fact that its so easy to use, the same with reaper - but i really need the vst's, and ableton live is WAAAAY to complicated

sorry for being a pain, and thanks for all the help!
sorry for the double post, but i finally got it working in reaper!
i tryed all configurations and it finally works, one thing though, im getting 185ms of latency, and i have no idea what to change the buffer settings to for the best performance, any ideas?
its currently 8 X 1024 samples
I got no latency. In my M-Audio Control Panel here's my settings (For Amplitube 2, live monitoring etc.):

Bandwidth Tab
16bit
48khz
(both S/PDIF options disabled)

Latency Tab

So if you're running at 1024 packet size that's probably your problem. Your PC can't process packets that big fast enough. As a rule of thumb the smaller the packet size the lower the latency, but lower quality sound. In other words it may sound more digital.

For recording I actually bump up the sample rate for quality's sake. It does cause more latency, like when echo is turned on, but I play raw with a click track and bump the track when necessary.

DS
Made up statistic
Last edited by Death-Speak at Mar 28, 2008,
Thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it

But yet more questions (i never realised recording was so complex!)
Instead of using a virtual eq, i thinking of buying the danelectro fish n chips, i was wondering if it would make a big enough difference to contemplate buying it

and also any reaper users, if you could tell me how you use compression, as iv searched and searched but cant figure it out.