Page 1 of 3
So, a few days ago. Horrible things happened in my homestead, horrible, horrible things.

My Les Paul studio's headstock snapped!

AHH!! and I just got it for Christmas! =[

Okay so I left my LPS on the stand(stupidly) while I left for the day, and when I got back, my paul was face down on the floor.

At first glance everything appeared fine, no scratches, nicks, breaks, strings were still pretty good..until i noticed....the headstock snapped. Terrible tragedy. Luckily though it's an extremely clean break and the headstock is still attached enough so that I could have it repaired, looks like a pretty simple gluing job to me. I wont do it myself obviously, clearly I'm an idiot.

With all of this in mind, discuss, and leave your own tale of tragedy.
I haven't had my own guitar tragedy, touch wood and whistle, *Touches guitar* but that scene in the Pick of Destiny literally brings me to tears. I mean seriously, if The Pick of Destiny was one of Shakespeare's great tragedies it would have ended there.
Metal Head

One Day, We'll All Go Into The Water.
Go, Into The Water, Live There, Die There.

Gear
Squier Stratocaster
Jackson Pro Series Kelly
Jackson Dinky Sustaniac
Roland Cube 60
Peavey Triple XXX Stack
My horror stories are me taking the old, ****tay guitars out to the slaughterhouse(backyard), getting out the hammer, and sending 'em on home.

Goodbye, Ethel and Marie...I miss you.
My Gear:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guitars:
Gibson Explorer, Worn Cherry-

Amps:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 - 1 x 12 Combo, 100 watts, Hybrid

Effects:
Blues Driver Keeley Modded
Ah, you've discovered the joys of Gibson guitars. Why they refuse to put volutes on the headstock I'll never know.

I actually had a similar thing, just not as bad. I left my PGM on the stand and was downstairs. I heard a bang upstairs but thought nothing of it. Came up to find my guitar had fell and hit my bed side table, putting a nice dent in the headstock. It was the first time I'd left it on the stand rather than just resting it on top of the amp too! Typical. Needless to say I bought a better stand after that.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I might start using the little seatbelt that my stand has.
Metal Head

One Day, We'll All Go Into The Water.
Go, Into The Water, Live There, Die There.

Gear
Squier Stratocaster
Jackson Pro Series Kelly
Jackson Dinky Sustaniac
Roland Cube 60
Peavey Triple XXX Stack
My first guitar, a neck through Yamaha SBG200, "fell" off of the stand in my dorm room when the roomie took his laundry out. Fell forward off the stand and snapped the headstock. I still have it, parted it out. Gonna mount it in my garage someday...
EDIT: "mount" on a wall, for the record...
5 minutes before a gig I opened my case and saw my ESP LTD EC-500 sabotaged and someone smashed the sh*t out of it.
Ibanez RG350DX - ESP LTD EC-500

Peavey JSX 212 Combo - Digitech RP 250
this didnt happen to me but at my friends house before we were jamming one day he was tuning up his brand new Dean Razorback slime and his tremelo snapped sending a screw on a hellatious spin towards a case of his fathers collectable shotglasses sending them crashing to the floor...3 survived....he traded the guitar for a esp later that day.
Quote by N1ck0
5 minutes before a gig I opened my case and saw my ESP LTD EC-500 sabotaged and someone smashed the sh*t out of it.

Did you kill the person that did that?
my first guitar a 40€ JT well...
it was a few moths ago i thought a well i'm gonna play a song with it on a gig (needed something open tuned) so i used it and then i was jumping around and the strap came loose (it had straplocks) it felt down and the neck cracked in three pieces so what i did is i got a cheap squier afinnity neck bolted it on and gave the guitar to a friend that wanted a guitar for ages (he still uses it)
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
the worst one i have was i got a schecter gryphon series and the pickups shorted out the next day.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
I spilled beer on one of my guitars once. I howled in anger.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
You would have to be nuts to have a Gibson and not some kind of protective stand like a Hercules. My Jackson has been dinged against walls, knocked over by other people, undergone some serious Jake E Lee -style abuse, but it takes a licking and keeps on kicking.

*shot for a horrible pun*
my dad's rickenbacker had a marshall stack fall on it once... still works, just has a few little dents and chips in it

and now its mine hehe
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by ginjaninja
how did it fall down?

did you guitar try to leap for freedom from its stand?

I have a small Chihuahua(named ozzy ) who must've knocked it over.

I'm really feeling you guy's anguish.
i have schaller straplocks. they are shaped like a U and the strap button fits in the U. well they came loose so the U turned upside down. i was standing around with my ibanez and it fell right down on the concrete floor. i was very angry, to say the least. fortunately, it only took out a little paint right on the edge. buying durable guitars ftw hahaha.

oh an dp.s. always make sure your straplocks are tight before you stand up. please.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
For about the same price a guitar stand you can get the wall mounts. I use these for all my guitars, so after they're done being played they go right up on the wall. Saves space and you don't have to worry about them going anywhere.
my beloved peavey wolfgang has a few marks and stuff.
Theres a kinda chip line out the neck, but it doesnt affect its playability!
oh and theres a little chip in the paint at the neck joint and a few other scratches!
Top lel.
My love story is about my MH400 slamming into the ground, ass-first. Took a nic big patch of paint off, right below the output.

I love beat up guitars.
just got my MIM HSS Stratocaster, but the humbucker crapped out for some reason.. wiring or something the guy told me and id have to wait a week or more to get it back and all i have is a crappy epiphone acoustic to keep content till i get it back...
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
I smash my SG's / JBass' neck into door moulding all time (when i practice, I tend to walk around the house), and they never even go out of tune... except for this one time I turned too soon after going out of my computer/music/work room and I dented the back of my SG's neck (paint is still perfect, but the wood is dented).

Why is that?
Quote by Kurapica
Ah, you've discovered the joys of Gibson guitars. Why they refuse to put volutes on the headstock I'll never know.

I actually had a similar thing, just not as bad. I left my PGM on the stand and was downstairs. I heard a bang upstairs but thought nothing of it. Came up to find my guitar had fell and hit my bed side table, putting a nice dent in the headstock. It was the first time I'd left it on the stand rather than just resting it on top of the amp too! Typical. Needless to say I bought a better stand after that.

some of them have volutes. When i saw matchbox 20 live, their lead guitarist was using a gibson les paul, i was close enough to see that he had a volute on the back of the headstock. you know you're a gear nerd when...

My dad had a story which could've become the biggest gear tragedy ever.

He was in a band, and once, the guitarist's marshall stack (all tube something or other, he doesn't know what it is exactly, i asked him and he said "god knows... but it was made in 1974"), fell down while they weren't playing, and the top cab landed on the rickenbacker bass (in my sig - a clue to the outcome), from the back of the neck, everyone pretty much skipped a heartbeat at that moment, as it crahsed to the ground. They picked it up, and the thing wasn't even scratched! The only damage that was done was the marshall logo on the slant cab now said "ars" and still does to this day, and some of the tubes in the marshall head broke. lucky, that. He'd just bought it from buzz music during Jimmy Scott's shift in the shop (Cus the other guy wouldn't have been so generous. My Mum knew Jimmy Scott cus he lived in the neighbourhood, she says he was a horrible kid.)

and here's me, upset that my squier tele's jack socket came loose... (that guitar has more sentimental value than you could imagine).
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 22, 2008,
Quote by Blompcube
some of them have volutes. When i saw matchbox 20 live, their lead guitarist was using a gibson les paul, i was close enough to see that he had a volute on the back of the headstock. you know you're a gear nerd when...

He was in a band, and once, the guitarist's marshall stack (all tube something or other, he doesn't know what it is exactly, i asked him and he said "god knows... but it was made in 1974"), fell down while they weren't playing, and the top cab landed on the rickenbacker bass (in my sig - a clue to the outcome), from the back of the neck, everyone pretty much skipped a heartbeat at that moment, as it crahsed to the ground. They picked it up, and the thing wasn't even scratched! The only damage that was done was the marshall logo on the slant cab now said "ars" and still does to this day, and some of the tubes in the marshall head broke. lucky, that. He'd just bought it from buzz music during Jimmy Scott's shift in the shop (Cus the other guy wouldn't have been so generous. My Mum knew Jimmy Scott cus he lived in the neighbourhood, she says he was a horrible kid.)

and here's me, upset that my squier tele's jack socket came loose... (that guitar has more sentimental value than you could imagine).

Gibson put volutes on their necks from sometime in the 60's to the early 80's.
I walked my guitar into a barbecue...

Only a little dent, but I was like, dying at the time!!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I spun my SG and the headstock hit my cab.

And snapped.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Lol my mate had an Epiphone SG, we were setting up for band practise in a studio at school, and he (stupidly) plugged the lead into his SG, leant the SG on a chair, and the plugged it into the amp, but i'm pretty sure the lead got stuck around the chairleg, therefor, my mate pulled the lead and what happened? The SG fell over, hit the ajoining wall and the neck snapped clean off!
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Quote by Blompcube

I'm fairly sure i'm not the only 2 who wants to see a picture of the marshall logo as it looks now! Classic man
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Quote by 666-JoE-666
I'm fairly sure i'm not the only 2 who wants to see a picture of the marshall logo as it looks now! Classic man

i'm not sure if thats correct, its only something i've been told by people who like to tell stories a little bit wrong

Wow these stories are really making me feel a type of kinship between all of us, brothers(and sisters?)

My LP is still being repaired, they're making the crack nearly invisible.

Although just a few days ago, i accidentally dropped my ESP Viper-50 on my weight set, took a chip out of the left horn.

Pretty bad luck, I'm happy that it's still playable, if it wasn't, I'd be axe-less until my LP got back.

Plus, I think having a horn with a chunk of wood missing is killer!
really, nothing. My first amp, a Yamaha one blew a fuse. My tele's output jack came loose, I just re-bent it, good as new. And my tele also got a mysterious little chip in the paint after my dad put it back into the case. None of them were a big deal at all.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
The night my guitar arrived I accidentally scratched it. Couldn't sleep that night. That's horror, right?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

So I was packing up to go Jamming, when set my DADs Telecaster down on it's case at the top of the stairs... the next part is a blur really, i don't know if i hit hte case or something.. but his Tele fell down the 8 stairs... worst sound i've ever heard. It's in the shop now while he's away for business.. hope he doesn't notice :'(
Guitars:
'72 Telecaster Custom
Dean V-coustic
Ibanez ARZ307

Pedals:

Metal Muff
Mastortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Marshall Regenerator
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
MXR Analog Delay

Amp: