Has anyone had the chance to do a comparison of the EMG's and the Duncan Blackouts to see which is better or what the difference in tone is.
Ive only had a very short experience with the blackouts (like 30min at a guitar shop :P) and i must say they have a much fuller sound than emgs. I much prefer the sound of the blackouts. Anyways just my 2cents
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
I have EMG's in my ESP eclipse and a Blackout in my Alexi Laiho guitar. Now, the two have different woods so the comparison might be a stretch. However here's what I'll say.

The Blackouts have sharper attack and have a more organic feel. Harmonics are well pronounced and notes articulate better. EMG 81 produces more gain though, and has a more powerful sound to it. I also prefer the EMG for clean, but that really might be because of my guitar wood (mahogany with emg, vs alder for blackout).

A lot of artists that used to use EMG are switching to Blackouts... Slipknot, that Dino guy (fear factory), Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom). THe Blackout is a very nice pickup and is not at all "pwned" by the EMG 81.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
Seymour Duncan Blackouts all the way!!
"If I was any cooler I'd be froze">>>Me

Epiphone Les Paul Custom,
Yamaha: FG-405
Yamaha: FX370C TBS
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz & Fretless Jazz
Vox AD30VT
Traynor DynaBass 200T
Hohner Button Accordian
Digitech RP350
i think blackouts have a lot more tone than EMGz, its really personal opinion though
blackouts are much better in my opinion. much "cleaner" distortion. it has less extra noise and feedback than the 81
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by metallica92
emgs pwn blackouts. specially with the 18v mod

coming from someone who has metallica as their username. of course you're gonna say EMGs. I only have experience w/ EMGs. I haven't heard blackouts at all, so I can't say anything. Seymour Duncan is awesome though.
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
I still use emg's and so does thousands of pro's, i tried the blackouts and didnt like the sound of em
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
They arent drastically different enough to judge by asking UG, only way to find out is by testing them.
I have a 81 and i like it for most of things, depends what tones you want. If you want versitility, dont go for either, a good passive will be better.