Have you ever written lyrics. but then realize another band has made lyrics with the same meaning, and then you feel discouraged at writing, fearing you'll sound the exact same? It's happened to me in the past, and what I'm wondering is: does everyone here go ahead and write them anyway the way they were originally going to write them, or do you try and alter the piece so it's outwardly distinguishable from the other lyrics?

Wow...hope that made sense...
well when you are in a grind core badn what else your songs can be about except rape, kill and gore?
Write it how you want. It doesn't matter if it resembles other work (unless you've been directly influenced by them and it's pretty much the same, that's just not superfly), if you re-write it it's likely to sound less natural and more contrived.
He's not here. I think he's in the bar with the band. They just got back from the radio station. Is this Maryann with the pot?... Hello?

Sapphire, Almost Famous
i've actually wrote a song i thought was mine, only to later find out it was an old billy joel tune. maybe it snuck in my head while i was sleeping, i felt like an idiot, but very thankful i was the only one who seen it. if you are truly a songwriter your authenticity will come out naturally. being a songwriter is like being in a bad marriage. there are way more bad times than good, but the good times are so d#mn good you can't walk away
Quote by PoRK CHoP 1
i've actually wrote a song i thought was mine, only to later find out it was an old billy joel tune. maybe it snuck in my head while i was sleeping, i felt like an idiot, but very thankful i was the only one who seen it. if you are truly a songwriter your authenticity will come out naturally. being a songwriter is like being in a bad marriage. there are way more bad times than good, but the good times are so d#mn good you can't walk away

I know what you mean. Not so much lyrics, but riffs and melodies.
I'm a pianist and a poet,
and someday the world will know it
But until then all that I can do
is play my songs for you.

Wallflower says: Thank You! But my friend Odd is, well, feeling odd.
I wrote a song with "i love you, i hate you" as the first line (yes i know these are not very mind-blowing, ear-twisting, 4th dimension-bending lyrics but they served their purpose. Anyways, i was listening to our local rock station and the first thing this guy says in the song is "i love you, i hate you" i was like WTF HE STOLE MY LYRICS! O_O

Another time i was playing around on my keyboard and came up with a song that reminded me of some crappy r&b song i had heard long ago, i almost stopped writing but i didn't and now that it's further along it has a nice jazzy feel and it sounds nothing like the other.

Point is everyone's using the same chords, and the same words (unless you've invented some new ones) so eventually some of it will sound alike but it's all about how you make it your own that determines the impression it gives.
i wrote a song once, and then bought a paramore album next week, and noticed that miracle had lyrics almost identical to the one i'd written. i was like dammit.
Yes, it's a very old username.