I'm writing an 8-10 page paper about how the RIAA is unfair to consumers, labels, and musicians. I need to develop some paragraphs involving counterarguments and refutes. I've come up with some of my own, but can you give me some counterarguments?

Here's what I have:

1) RIAA is fair because piracy takes away a lot of money the artists earn.
2) RIAA is fair to sue because those who are being sued broke the law.

Then I show how stupid those arguments are.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Last edited by DiveRightIn63 at Mar 27, 2008,
That paper is an impossibility.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
The only benefit of RIAA is to the actual employees of RIAA, who can freely express their sadism and control-freak tendencies.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by imthehitcher
counter arguments?

as in whats good about the RIAA?

haha, yes.

Quote by nebiru
That paper is an impossibility.

Not true. This is a small portion of the paper; the rest talk about how greedy those bastards are.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by paintITblack39
They take money from those bastard, selfish musicians?

no?

How do they take money away from the musicians themselves? Dumb question, I know, but I need to find an answer. lol.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

You can go along the line that it's good that the RIAA is trying to enforce copyright law, but it's going about it like a deranged, three-legged elephant on crack.
Quote by DiveRightIn63
How do they take money away from the musicians themselves? Dumb question, I know, but I need to find an answer. lol.

The whole napster settlement is a prime example of this.
Quote by nebiru
The whole napster settlement is a prime example of this.

How did that take away from the musician's earnings though?
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Very VERY little of the money from the Napster settlement that was payed to the RIAA was channeled back to the artists themselves whom the RIAA claims to represent. It was a money-grabbing selfish lawsuit that completely rendered the reputation of the Record Label/RIAA based industry to the lowest point its been.
You could also say that When musicians release an album, the record label gives them a certain (often relatively small) amount in order to record the album. The artist finishes the album and releases it. The money got from the album by far exceeds anything spent to make the album. However, very little of the money goes to the artist at all, and masses of profit goes to the record label. the RIAA is funded by the record labels, and the RIAA do not really spend much money, which means the record labels and the RIAA are essentially jacking one another off leaving both the general public and the artists recording a tad screwed over.

the reason napster suit began however was Metallica, who somehow have a lot of money invested in the physical releases of their music got pissed off because the money wasn't going to them. It was their money they were losing, not the record labels. that's why metallica got more pissed off than most bands do when their music is downloaded, as most bands make the majority of their money off playing shows and touring.

but of course metallica do **** all in the way of actual touring these days and hence don't make as much money that way.

hope that helped.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
Quote by DiveRightIn63
How did that take away from the musician's earnings though?

Well... you can say that when napster was live that people used it to download musicians songs instead of buying albums.. which caused their pay to drop. This is supposedly why the RIAA sued all those people "to get the musicians back their rightful dollar" well now that all the settlements have rolled in the haven't given a dime to any of the musicians.
Quote by CraigKing
hold on...are you trying to argue that Piracy is good? :/

In a sense. I'm moreover arguing that the way the RIAA approaches piracy is wrong, as well as the fact that they are dirty greedy bastards.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Without the RIAA, Weird Al would have had a rather more difficult job writing "Don't Download This Song". Thus the RIAA makes some artists lives easier.
also, thanks to those who are actually answering i really appreciate it..
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

I actually wrote a persuasive letter on this topic for school a while ago.
The RIAA sued a bunch of people for downloading artist's music, and the artists are now suing the RIAA for never giving them their money lol.
Airship is liek teh best giitar playr evr!!111!1!

Quote by solidgay
Don't use distortion pedals. Just bury your guitar for three weeks, and then dig it up, that should do the job.

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!
sounds awesome so far.

you could say that the RIAA over the years has indeed benefitted the industry in some ways such as : "
The RIAA has continued to participate in creating and administering technical standards for later systems of music recording and reproduction, including magnetic tape, cassette tapes, digital audio tapes, CDs and software-based digital technologies."

(quoted from wiki)
and say... However the bad they have done for the industry has outweighed the good
go on to say that although such an association is needed and does help, if it continues doing all the **** it does it would do more harm than good... blah blah