So what makes a good tube amp?
is it the brand (like peavey) or is the tubes it self, and the amp does all the eq?
does anyone know what i mean?

What makes that clear sound?
The amp?
or the tube?
It's not a cut and dry issue. Everything from the input jack to the speaker jack will affect the tone in one way or another and not in any consistent ratio. A lot of amps use 'basically' the same power section with variations on a simple preamp circuit: the Fender Bassman and Marshall JTM45 for example. But then again two amps with two identical circuits will sound different with different types of tubes tubes. All I'm saying is that it's the sum of all parts, not just a few of them.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Red_October404
so preety much when i buy some expensive amp..im paying for the brand?

more quality and better parts and construction
Quote by Kendall
It's not a cut and dry issue. Everything from the input jack to the speaker jack will affect the tone in one way or another and not in any consistent ratio. A lot of amps use 'basically' the same power section with variations on a simple preamp circuit: the Fender Bassman and Marshall JTM45 for example. But then again two amps with two identical circuits will sound different with different types of tubes tubes. All I'm saying is that it's the sum of all parts, not just a few of them.
+1
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
The tubes are part of the amp as a whole.

And when you're buying an expensive tube amp, you're not necessarily paying for the brand. You're paying for the sound it produces ; not the logo on the front*.

All you should really worry about if you're buying an amp is :

Does it sound good?

Can I afford it?

Don't worry about brands or size or wattage, just listen.

*With the exception of Marshall MG, AVT, M4, Line 6 Spider I and II
Quote by Red_October404

Not so much. Look at the Marshall MG. They're pretty shoddily made, shound awful, nowhere near Marshall's boutique amps. Even the all- tube DSL series gets a lot of hate around here. Nobody's hating on Plexis or JVM's, though.
Quote by Red_October404

Not at all in most cases. As mentioned they use higher quality parts, but this doesn't just mean that they last longer. They take abuse better, and are built to tighter tolerances ensuring that the amp sounds the way it should. Potentiometer are a great example: mini pots can be obtained for extremely cheap prices while military grade sealed pots will easily cost 20 to 30 times as much per piece. The difference is that the actual function with the mini pots is almost always going to be a little off and you'll probably wear out the mini pots in a year or two while the good ones have less than 1% variation and can last for centuries.

The same thing goes for every other aspect of amp building: resistors, tubes, chassis, jacks, caps, etc. Take a good look at the PCB in a Soldano SLO versus the PCB in a Peavey Windsor: the difference is astounding. Also the transformers play a large role. Cheap transformers will do the job, but won't handle voltage variations, load mismatches and extended periods of vibration with any acute degree of success.

An expensive amp usually has justification for being expensive. If it doesn't, then word will get around fairly quick and no one will buy it as their money can be better spent elsewhere.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
actually all guitar tones are generated by eric johnsons dreams, he just happens to give all the crappy tones to people who purchase Marshall MG's or Line 6 Spider 3's.
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Not so much. Look at the Marshall MG. They're pretty shoddily made, shound awful, nowhere near Marshall's boutique amps. Even the all- tube DSL series gets a lot of hate around here. Nobody's hating on Plexis or JVM's, though.

Yes they are, I hear tons of people hating on the JVM.
Quote by Geartrigger
Yes they are, I hear tons of people hating on the JVM.

Ok, bad example . I personally liked the one I tried... anyway, nobody's comparing it to the MG or Mode Four.

Another example- Hughes & Kettner makes some pretty crappy $200 practice amps, but they also make incredibly amazing Triamp MK II's.