Hi, a long time ago, I overheard my teacher talking about people wrapping blankets/clothes/towels around tubs to make them sound better.
Would this be a good idea? Like, if you had a small gig, but only a half stack with tube head, should this be done at a lower volume so you get the higher volume quality sound, but at lower volumes.

I dont know all too much about tubes, how hot would it get? Is it advised?
Wrap them around TUBES?

That probably wouldn't be a good idea at all. It would be a fire hazard.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
I guess they'd run hotter making them sound somewhat better. The thing is, they'd run too hot burning the blankets.

So no.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Yeah your teahcer probably doesn't know all too much if he's suggesting that. Its potentially very dangerous.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
lol... thank god you overheard that one... xD.. you'd set the whole thing on fire probably ;D...
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Fama
I guess they'd run hotter making them sound somewhat better. The thing is, they'd run too hot burning the blankets.

So no.

...they would not run hotter. We use 'hot' to describe the bias, not the physical state of the tube. So the tube would have a higher temperature, but that's not what makes "hot" tubes sound better. It's more or less a very dumb idea.
No effect whatsoever, except shortened tube lifespan and some lightly toasted blankets.

If there was an effective way to push the tubes harder at gig volume, believe me you'd have heard of it by now.
Quote by Roc8995
...they would not run hotter. We use 'hot' to describe the bias, not the physical state of the tube. So the tube would have a higher temperature, but that's not what makes "hot" tubes sound better. It's more or less a very dumb idea.

Hmm, I guess you're right. I started thinking about it myself after I posted that - but I didn't actually mean "hot" as in bias, more like how tubes have to warm up a little before you use them and after you've played for like an hour, sound better.

But yeah, it's a bad idea all in all.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Your teacher said that?! Whatever you do, DO NOT try that. There's a good chance you'll start a fire. Tube amps are ventilated for a reason.