I would like to get some songs I've recorded onto the internet as an EP for people to download for free but I don't know where to host them!
It needs to be as easy as possible for people to download and also able to include album artwork with it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Oh yeah, without it expiring as well!
Last edited by CE49 at Mar 27, 2008,
ever check out myspace>?
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Quote by CE49
I would like to get some songs I've recorded onto the internet as an EP for people to download for free but I don't know where to host them!
It needs to be as easy as possible for people to download and also able to include album artwork with it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

i'd like to know too. i've been using myspace for my solo EP but i guess some people have been complaining of download issues
Quote by djmay71
i'd like to know too. i've been using myspace for my solo EP but i guess some people have been complaining of download issues

Yeah, I've got a MySpace page but don't want people to download from there because:
A) Album artwork can't be downloaded with it (to my knowledge!)
B) People can't download the whole EP at once
Couldnt you use megaupload.com or something, and make a link on Myspace saying 'Download EP for free'. Or something.
are these songs copyrighted? i would advise u to do taht before u put them up for download.

ignore this if they already are, but some ppl just dont get that there are mean ppl who steal out there.
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
are these songs copyrighted? i would advise u to do taht before u put them up for download.

ignore this if they already are, but some ppl just dont get that there are mean ppl who steal out there.

"Some ppl" is me! Thanks for bringing this to my attention! How do you copyright?
lol i dont kno the exact process, but i think you have to register it with a copyright office.

to do this:
obtain and fill out the proper form
prepare a clean rendition of what is to be copyrighted
send both to the copyright office in washington d.c (this is part of the library of congress)

hopes this helps

http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formsr.pdf

link to the form for sound recordings. glad i could be of assistance.
Last edited by Shadow_Hawk at Mar 27, 2008,
Just by having composed something, you technically own the copyright to it. If someone takes it, though, the onus is on you to prove that you had it first. It is generally assumed that whoever had it first must have created it.

In other words, if you can't prove you wrote it, you need to at least prove that you owned it as of a certain date.

You don't NEED to have it officially copyrighted through some government office, but it is probably your most idiot-proof bet. You CAN do the old mail it to yourself via registered mail trick (don't open it!!), but that is NOT idiot-proof. Within that, though, you are still left defending yourself. If you hear your song some time later by a major recording artist, keep in mind that the record company's pockets are deeper than yours, and they can afford better lawyers than you, so be prepared. How much is it worth to you to defend, really, when it comes time for you to open your wallet? How sure are you that you have what it takes to win your case against a team of high-priced entertainment lawyers?

What we did was, by virtue of releasing our CD commercially (though independently), we have a pretty solid paper trail.

We have:
-registered our songs with SOCAN, a performing rights organization similar to ASCAP, BMI
-submitted a copy of our CD to our national archive library, which is very closely regulated, inventoried, tracked, etc.
-track listing in the artwork and work order (dated, of course) for when we had our disks duplicated.
-archived backup of the master wav files showing when the individual tracks for the songs were recorded.
-recordings (dated) of some of our stuff played on radio. Radio stations are required to keep logs of what they play.

The first two are pretty air-tight. The others, not so much. Even though we've not copyrighted our stuff formally, we have various channels we can use to prove that we owned the songs as of such-and-such a date.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
lol i dont kno the exact process, but i think you have to register it with a copyright office.

to do this:
obtain and fill out the proper form
prepare a clean rendition of what is to be copyrighted
send both to the copyright office in washington d.c (this is part of the library of congress)

hopes this helps

http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formsr.pdf

link to the form for sound recordings. glad i could be of assistance.

Hey Mr. Ignorant. He's not in the USA.
^That was douche baggy
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
You could look into selling them on iTunes, Last.fm and Amazon.com
Though i'ld recommend against putting your music up on too many websites. Just 2-3 good, trusted and popular websites is much better than having them posted up all over the internet...

You could copy CD's and give them out or sell them at your gigs. There are a good few things you could do to promote your music.
Find a smallish music store and ask them if they'ld sell your CD's...
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Mar 28, 2008,
Quote by axemanchris
If you hear your song some time later by a major recording artist, keep in mind that the record company's pockets are deeper than yours, and they can afford better lawyers than you, so be prepared. How much is it worth to you to defend, really, when it comes time for you to open your wallet? How sure are you that you have what it takes to win your case against a team of high-priced entertainment lawyers?

Basically, If I wrote an immense song, and some dude from a big band heard it, and liked it, they could work it out and use it for themselves, and I can't do anything about it.......

Great...
This thread's given me a lot to think about.
Thanks for all the replies regarding both the original thread topic and copyrighting.
Am off to reconsider my plan of action now!
As for protecting your music rights, if you've got a proper album of your own and all, its always good to register yourself and your album with the music organization of your country.

Like in Ireland here we've got IMRO. Irish Music Rights Organisation.

"IMRO is a national organisation that administers the performing right in copyright music in Ireland on behalf of its members - songwriters, composers and music publishers - and on behalf of the members of the international overseas societies that are affiliated to it. IMRO’s function is to collect and distribute royalties arising from the public performance of copyright works."

They even issues licences to those wishing to use copyright music in public and in the on-line environment.

There should be something similar around where your live. Its free to register with them and they'll help you out with copyright issues and will even promote and help you with where to go.

Did a little homework for you (as i studied this while i was studying soundengineering/production, and in Ireland they also give us info bout the stuff in UK),

You've got:
PRS (Performing Rights Society): Its role is to act as an agent for its memebers in border to collect performig royalties whenever their musical works are performed in public, broadcast or transmitted.

MCPS (Mechinical-Copyright Protection Society): They help with copy right protection and all in UK.

PAMRA (The Performing Artists Media Rights Association): They have 3 main purposes: to maximise your income, advise on all areas of music copyright and to lobby on performers issues within the industry, globally and to outside bodies as the Government and EU. They're the British equivalent of IMRO.

and you've got PPL(Phonographic Performance Limited): Much like PRS they'll collect and distribute airplay and performance royalties.

Good idea is to look into these organisations and join what you feel suits your best. Its usually free to join most of them. I think PAMRA is free to join.
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Mar 28, 2008,
Thanks af_the_fragile! That's really helped! You've truly gone above and beyond there!
Anytime, i just had all those in my soundengineering/production notes so i thought i'ld share them with you.
And then i'm myself working on a solo project and will be getting it out there once i'm done with it.

You could even look into setting up your own website. But i wouldn't recommened that until you're fairly popular. Myspace is the best way to get your music out there.

And if you wouldn't mind, i'ld actually like to check out your stuff...
Quote by sam b
Basically, If I wrote an immense song, and some dude from a big band heard it, and liked it, they could work it out and use it for themselves, and I can't do anything about it.......

Great...

Not necessarily. You just have to have your t's crossed and your i's dotted. Have an air-tight case and you'll probably be fine. If there is a hole in it, though, you can bet your opponent's high-priced lawyers will exploit the crap out of it.

KD Lang, a small-time to 'medium-time' recording artist here in Canada had a song called Constant Craving. She successfully litigated against..... The Rolling Stones!!!..... Their song "Anybody Seen My Baby" was a direct melodic rip-off of her chorus. She had sufficient proof that she owned that melody (a commercially released record is considered pretty good documentation) before the Stones did, and the melodic similarities were considered to be obvious by the trial. Verdict - KD Lang was offered notation as an equal "Co-writer" and therefore, is entitled to all financial benefits (publishing, licencing, etc.) and royalties that she would have gotten if she was in the room writing with them.

The advantage of that kind of settlement is that it ensures royalties paid over time, as opposed to a lump sum that might never add up to what it could based on long term sales. Of course, it is a bit of a gamble... the opposite could happen.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

So say..... a guitar pro file of the song, and then the date of when it was last edited/made would be enough?

Phew

This thread's got me all paranoid now..

Not that my bands songs are good enough anyway
Quote by sam b
So say..... a guitar pro file of the song, and then the date of when it was last edited/made would be enough?

Phew

This thread's got me all paranoid now..

Not that my bands songs are good enough anyway

I wouldn't. Just because a file has a date stamp on it doesn't mean the date stamp wasn't manipulated in some way. AFAIK, all you need to do is set the clock and date on your computer and it will time stamp files accordingly.

What you need is a source that is virtually untamperable - particularly an unbiased third-party that has absolutely nothing to gain or lose by verifying (or not) a particular date. Hence, the registered letter and mail it to yourself trick. Not idiot-proof, but the notion that the post office conspired with you to issue a false send and receive date on your registered letter is *very* implausable. The notion that a radio station (particularly a commercial radio station) would go back and deliberately fudge their logs to include a song by you and just happen to have a recording of the song in their library (back-dated of course) is almost equally implausable. The odds of a performing rights organization allowing someone to manipulate their data to include your material on a date before it was actually registered is ludicrous also.

CT