Okay well i want to hear what all of you other non 24 fretted guitarists do.. like say on a solo were you go up to say 22 fret and if your me then you only have 21, do you simply not try to play those solos or do work them out on a different string? What about when your on the high E and you cant get past 21 and you need to? is there anyway to emulate a higher fret? my only thought was bending but bending on 21 on E is kinda... hard?

so yeah just discuss fret limitations.. would you buy a guitar if everything about it was perfect for you except the number of frets?

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
get a new guitar.
if you plan on playing solos
you should really go with
a guitar with twenty four frets
Quote by basspunk709
get a new guitar.

I'm fine with 22 for most solos. Guitarists that have 24 fret guitars don't always feel obliged to use the top two notes, anyway.
Quote by basspunk709
get a new guitar.

Never talk ever again. Malmsteen? Michael Amott? Clapton? Townsend? BB King? Hendrix? We're just gonna ignore those, are we?

TS, play in a different octave, or do some bends, or even do some harmonizing. To be honest, 22nd-24th fret aren't really used very often by the people who have one anyway.
for a solo, if possible, you would lower the note an octave, but in some fast solos that just doesnt work, so you find another note that works in it's place (usually a fifth below) otherwise just omit the note. yes, I would buy a guitar with 22 or 21 frets if it was awesome, because frets 21-24 arnt used as much as the others, i would just lower the solo an octave if I absolutely had to play it note for note.
Quote by webbtje
Never talk ever again. Malmsteen? Michael Amott? Clapton? Townsend? BB King? Hendrix? We're just gonna ignore those, are we?

TS, play in a different octave, or do some bends. To be honest, 22nd-24th fret aren't really used very often by the people who have one anyway.

thanks i just got an idea i could play an octave lower and use a pitch shifter but that might sound crappy...

i really wish i had 24 frets sometimes because my favorite band is Muse and some of there stuff thats awesome uses those high notes.. but if i do it right i can bendfrom 21 on E up to 24 or is that to much...

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Quote by webbtje

TS, play in a different octave, or do some bends, or even do some harmonizing. To be honest, 22nd-24th fret aren't really used very often by the people who have one anyway.

Agreed ^^ webbtie's speaking privileges are revoked.
Quote by CryingAlone
thanks i just got an idea i could play an octave lower and use a pitch shifter but that might sound crappy...

i really wish i had 24 frets sometimes because my favorite band is Muse and some of there stuff thats awesome uses those high notes.. but if i do it right i can bendfrom 21 on E up to 24 or is that to much...

yes, it's hard, but you can
Quote by SEALSniper1152
Agreed ^^ webbtie's speaking privileges are revoked.

Revoked? For owning someone who is so wrong he could be wrong for his country?
I re-write solos to suit my style. I've never gone past the 18th fret.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Use a thimble like Bumblefoot. :P
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Quote by sg-rocker173
Use a thimble like Bumblefoot. :P
elaborate?

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Quote by CryingAlone
elaborate?

His sig Vigier holds a metal thimble, he uses it for quick bottleneck esque solos, it means he doesnt have to dedicate himself to slide, its much faster, but most prefer a slide.
Quote by webbtje
Revoked? For owning someone who is so wrong he could be wrong for his country?
Man if only I could find the ROFL copter

To the OP, if you need to hit the 22nd fret, and you only have 21, bend it

24 frets allow for a lot of comfort as your less likely to run into body, but IMHO, 21 and 22 fret guitars just sound better than 24 fret guitars.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
i either play the harmonic over where the 24th fret should be or i use the whammy bar to get to it, ill miss it out if its in a fast solo though. i do hate it when a solo needs you to use the 23rd fret, thats just annoying
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer