Gettin a new guitar! im on a budget of maybe 400$ new or used. i play hard rock mainly and a little metal. I have been looking at Epiphone SG G400's and they seem pretty nice. does anyone know of a guitar you think is better for my style then the epi g400 for 400$ or below? thanks!

crazy
That is what I use, and for your style I would suggest the same. I love my guitar.
Fender HSS Standard Strat
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
I think the only difference is that its worn..I think the 1966 reissue or whatever is the best, I have that one, I liked it a lot because it had a full pickguard.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
The quality is no different. The finish looks and feels different (it's artificially 'aged', it feels a little bit rougher and is a duller colour), but in terms of the wood used, the pickups, the sheer build quality, and so on, they're all the same.

Personally, I actually think the regular G-400 is the nicest of the three (regular/deluxe/worn), and I tend to prefer to go with 'standard' instruments rather than worn/vintage/classic/plus tops/special editions/etc. Really though they're all the same.
A far better guitar in the price range is the Hagstrom F-200.

Better pickups, electronics, build quality, and balance.

My first electric was a G400, and I wish I had bought the Hagstrom instead.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Mar 27, 2008,
I'd say get the G400 second hand and used the money you saved to swap out the pups. They're really the only weak point of the guitar IMO.

Also look into Ibanez SZ720 maybe:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SZ720FM-Flamed-Maple-Electric-Guitar?sku=516789
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
crazywhiteboi94, you sound a lot like me. My first guitar was a Strat copy, which I hated(and I can`t see myself going near a Strat again) (Just my opinion) Then I got a G-400, which I use now, and I absolutely love it! Awesome guitar for the money.
Gear:
Godin Freeway Classic
Ibanez Concord Acoustic
Roland Cube 30x
Zoom G2
Quote by AllanM
crazywhiteboi94, you sound a lot like me. My first guitar was a Strat copy, which I hated(and I can`t see myself going near a Strat again) (Just my opinion) Then I got a G-400, which I use now, and I absolutely love it! Awesome guitar for the money.

Me too! I have the G-400 '66 reissue, I love it.
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*