So a few weeks ago at work(I'm a electrician) I stepped into a section of floor that happened to not be there. I was rewiring a bathroom that had part of the floor cutout for the plumber to do his thing. I stepped down off the ladder and around it to pick something up. Normally, I'm very aware on the job. Unfortunately, at this moment my mind was not all there. As I stepped around the ladder, I put my right foot down where there was no floor. I obviously fell thru the space and landed on the floor joyse squarely across my rib. It hurt like hell and it took probably 5 minutes before I could get a full breath. Even then, I knew it was broke. I sounded like a dying walrus. Xrays confirmed #11 rib on my right side was indeed broken. Not just fractured.

Describing it is making me squeamish. So I'll stop.

Forward two and a half weeks.

I've been riding the couch faithfully. Trying not to do anything but heal(I'm 35 so it takes a bit longer nowadays). So, to keep from losing my mind, I have been playing a ton of guitar. Really sitting in and practicing scale exercises an such. Trying to build more accuracy and speed. Finally going thru modes and scale shapes. Well, kick me in the ass, it's working. I've never been a super disciplined practicer. But I think that has finally changed. I figured out how to enjoy the monotony of stupid practice. Which is, that it's not monotonous at all. Just something you should do faithfully and enjoy your time and ability to do it at all. I'm kind of humbled by this.

The other and probably more important benefit is this.... I haven't had a cigarette since I got hurt. I couldn't. I was getting over a cold anyway and coughing with a broken rib isn't fun. So broken bone aside, I actually feel a lot better. Stronger. In more ways than just physical.

The moral here is this;

Don't smoke cigarrettes.

Practice guitar faithfully.

Enjoy that you can play at all.

Watch where you step
Maybe you should go break a leg, you might play like Vai or something LOL

Feel better..
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
I broke a few of my ribs and ripped some muscles in my back fighting my brother

It sucked. Coughing was the worst part though. And getting off the ****ter..
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
this lesson should be in the Bible
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
That's amazing. Congrats.

To tell you the truth, I thought this was gonna be a story of how you were injured and got paid an ass load of money, but I suppose you got a pretty good deal regardless.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
Maybe you should go break a leg, you might play like Vai or something LOL

Feel better..

There is a certain backhanded logic there. Nothing i'm willing to try tho
yea man thats the way to go.
i might accidently fall down the stairs so i can sit on the couch and play guitar
but i hope you feel better man
Congrats. I hope you get better (or not).
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Get better man.

Shred on.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
I can seriously relate! I got an awful bad chest infection a while back and it was impossible to take a full breath, or sleep more than 45 minutes a night due to coughing, so obviously I stopped smoking because I just couldn't face cigarettes.

After three days I felt like I was in a dream and I just started practicing the guitar while my housemates were out at lectures to drive away monotony. Thanks to my monged state I had serious tunnel vision and could only concentrate on playing, so I could feel myself getting better by the day.

Unfortunately for me, after a week of antibiotics and finally getting to the stage where I could breathe, I decided to smoke a quarter-ounce of weed to myself and I forgot everything I'd learned, and set my recovery back another week

Morals of my story:
  • Weed + chest infection = f*cking dumb
  • Appreciate your bed, it's seriously amazing
  • If you're skint, sell your leftover antibiotics to tramps. If you tell them it's crack then they'll pay through the nose for it
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Last edited by Yakult at Mar 27, 2008,
quick, break my leg so I can get better!

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Quote by paul88lx
So a few weeks ago at work I stepped into a section of floor that happened to not be there.

I lol'd.

Hard.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Ahh but, would you really trade what is effectiveley a hole in your side for better guitar playing skills on a normal day???...when there arent any holes in the floor and exposed pipes to damage your body?
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by x0rsist
Ahh but, would you really trade what is effectiveley a hole in your side for better guitar playing skills on a normal day???...when there arent any holes in the floor and exposed pipes to damage your body?

That's why I described it as ironic.